Arboriculture Applied Management 800 Hours Advanced Diploma
Ask a question
Arboriculture Applied Management 800 Hours Advanced Diploma
Learn business management and arboriculture in one diploma. Turn your passion into a sucessful business. Gain essential marketing skills. Increase your horticultural knowledge Save money, stress and time - study from home Topics covered: Four core business units units covering office practices, business operations, management and marketing. Students then take three three specialist units of study relating to the selection and culture of plants, with an emphasis on trees. This study is then coupled with a 200 hr workplace project to ensure practical skills and knowledge are of a standard required by industry practice.
Accredited through the International Accreditation & Recognition Council - I.A.R.C. This course is ideal for those already in the horticultural industry who want to specialise in arboriculture and gain an industry relevant qualification. It is also ideal for those starting out and wanting to gain practical experience and knowledge.
Arborists find work opportunities both in self employment, and working for others:
- In parks departments,
- golf courses,
- home gardens,
- street tree management,
- advance tree nurseries and landscape developments,
- tourist parks,
- historic properties, environmental conservation, etc
Lesson Structure: Diploma in Applied Management (Arboriculture) VBS001
This course is comprised of 7 modules plus 200 hours workplace project:
Core studies - Four modules (400 hours) of compulsory subjects for all students.
Elective studies – Three stream modules for the development of knowledge in arboriculture
Project – a workplace project of 200 hrs relevant to your field of study. The project specifically aims to provide the student with the opportunity to apply and integrate skills and knowledge developed through various areas of formal study. Contact the academy for more information.
- Financial Records
- Financial Management
- Business Planning
- Mistakes to Avoid
- Introduction to Organisational Structures
- Theories and Procedures of Management
- Problem Solving and Making Decisions
- Management Styles and External Influences
- Employing People and Interview Skills
- Staff Management
- Ethics and Equity
- Marketing and the Business
- Scope of Marketing Understanding basic economics (eg. supply & demand)
- Target Marketing
- The Marketing Mix and Managing the Marketing Effort
- Product Presentation and Packaging
- Promotion Communication skills
- Product Pricing and Distribution Pricing
- Customer Service Methods of assessing customer satisfaction
- Market Research
- The Modern Office
- Communication System
- Writing Letters and Other Documents
- Computer Applications
- Office Organisation and Procedures
- Health & Safety in the Office
Studied after the core modules, stream modules cover more specific or niche subjects. All 3 stream modules to be completed:
- Introduction to Arboriculture
- Tree Biology
- Soils In Relation to Trees
- Diagnosing Tree Problems
- Tree Surgery
- Pruning of Trees
- Arboriculture Equipment
- Workplace Health & Safety
- Planting Techniques
- Controlling Plant Problems
- Strengthening Weak Trees
- Controlling Damage Caused by Plants
- Tree Felling and Stump Removal
- Tolerant Plant Species
- Establishing a Tree Plantation
- Approaches to Land Rehabilitation
- Ecology of Soils and Plant Health
- Introduction to Seed Propagation Techniques
- Propagation and Nursery Stock
- Dealing with Chemical Problems
- Physical Plant Effects on Degraded Sites
- Plant Establishment Programs
- Hostile Environments
- Rehabilitating Degraded Sites
- Plant Establishment Care
Practicals: What you will learn
- Learn to distinguish between plants in order to identify at least 50 trees.
- Develop a standard tree report form, customised for surveying the condition and use of trees in your locality.
- Explain how to different soil related problems that can effect trees.
- Develop a twelve month program, for managing a health problem detected by you in an established tree.
- Demonstrate bridge grafting across a bark wound.
- Distinguish between different methods of pruning including: Canopy reduction, Cleaning out, Topiary, Espaliering
- Determine the minimum equipment required to commence business as a tree surgeon.
- Compare different chainsaws, to determine appropriate applications for each.
- Determine legislation which is relevant to a specific arborist in a workplace which you visit.
- Explain how to plant a specified advanced-sized tree on a specific site.
- Explain tree injection, including the technique and applications.
- Identify situations where trees require strengthening operations to be carried out.
- Compare different ways to control roots which invade underground pipes.
- Calculate the cost of removing a specified tree.
- Determine five appropriate tree species suited to a specific site visited and analysed.
- Devise a method for removing a tree, including tree felling and stump removal.
- Analyse three specimens of mature trees, from each of five different genera,
- to detect any patterns in problems occurring in those trees.
- Develop criteria for the establishment of a tree plantation on a specific site which
- addresses; site restrictions, cost and function.
- Compare different approaches to land rehabilitation, to determine strengths and
- weaknesses of alternative options on a site to be rehabilitated.
- Determine techniques to maximise plant development in land rehabilitation situations.
- Explain the different ways of producing seedling trees for land rehabilitation purposes.
- Determine appropriate plant establishment programs.
- Develop procedures to care for plants, during establishment in an hostile environment.
- Manage the rehabilitation of degraded soil.
- Explain the effect of plants on improving a degraded site, both physically and chemically.
- Determine ways to better manage staff, administration and finance within an aboricultural enterprise
- Determine improvements for the marketing of an arboricultural enterprise
Opportunities for a career with Trees
Arborists; tradesmen and professionals are employed to work in:
- parks departments,
- municipal parks and gardens,
- commercial and private gardens
- street trees,
- plant nurseries, etc.
- Qualifications are important but, so are knowledge and experience. Don't dismiss their importance
- It is a mistake to assume that apprenticeships alone will guarantee long term career success
- Volunteering, a great way to get started
- starting as an "assistants" in a plant nursery or garden, is an excellent way to learn more about trees
- Some start with a course like this or anyone of our general horticultural courses
- If you have some experience caring for trees, some knowledge about identifying plants, and are familiar with horticultural science;
you will be able to compete for job opportunities when they arise. The secret is to be in the right place
at the right time. Important to get noticed; and that requires persistence and networking.
- People who learn and have solid knowledge and skills, are the people who advance through the ranks,
getting promoted to eventually become a manager, consultant or business owner.
The quality of this course is second to none, from the in-depth learning you will get to the expert individual mentoring you will receive throughout your studies. The mentors for this course are:
BSc in Applied Plant Biology (Botany) Univ. London 1983.
City and guilds: Garden Centre Management, Management and Interior Decor (1984)
Management qualifications in training with retail store. Diploma in Hort level 2 (RHS General) Distinction.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 80 - U.S. Credit Hours: 24 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK