Ask a question
Lesson Structure: Alternative Energy VSS102
There are 8 lessons:
- Introduction: The Problems and the Energy Sources.
- Scope and Nature
- Energy consumption through history
- Climate Change
- Energy units
- Problems with Fossil Fuels
- Problems with other energy sources ... hydro electricity, nuclear, wind, solar
- Understanding Energy
- Understanding electricity
- Conductors and non conductors
- Measuring electricity ...current, voltage, resistance
- Ohm's Law
- Circuits ... Series; parallel
- Kirchhoffs law
- Power ratings
- Electromagnetism and Solenoids
- Electric motors
- Lenz's law
- Generating Electricity
- Fuel cells
- Wind Power
- Large Scale Wind System Design
- Small Scale Wind System Design
- Solar Energy
- Positioning a solar cell
- Small Scale Solar
- Future Developments in Solar
- Geothermal Energy
- Dry Steam Power Plants
- Flash Steam Power Plants
- Binary Cycle Power Plants
- Advantages of Geothermal
- How Geothermal is used
- Geothermal heat pumps
- Tide and Current Power
- Tide Barage
- Tidal Turbines
- Wave Power
- Nuclear Energy
- Fission Reactors
- Half Lives and Radioactivity
- Waste to Energy
- Storage and Using Electricity
- Cells - simple cell, car battery, gel, AGM, Nickel etc
- Deep Cycle Battery
- Lithium Rechargeable Batteries
- Calculating Battery Requirements
- Alternators and Regulators
- System Types
- EMR & electricity use
- Recommended Exposure Limits
- Safety with Electricity
- Non-Electric Systems
- Scope and nature
- Passive Solar
- Fire Wood
- Drying and storing wood
- Comparing different wood types
- Smoke fires
- Creosote formation in fire flues
- Environmental aspects of burning wood
- Small scale Biomass
- Passive Solar Energy
- Solar hot water ... flat plate collectors, evacuated tubes, open or closed circuit, passive or active systems, heat pumps
- Night insulation
- Solar Garden Water Features
- Energy Consumption
- Reducing energy consumption
- Population growth
- Large scale reduction of energy consumption - managing green cities, urban sprawl, peak demands, transport, etc.
- Energy Conservation
- How a home owner can reduce energy consumption
- Temperature control
- Minimising light energy consumption
- Minimising appliance energy consumption
- Water conservation
- Solar house design
- Converting to Alternative Systems
- Estimating Energy Needs
- Building Efficiency
- System Design
- System Designers
Please Note: Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the academy and marked by your tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and
necessary, extra reading.
Learning Goals: Alternative Energy VSS102
- Discuss how to convert a building's energy supply to an alternative system.
- Describe energy conservation techniques.
- Identify ways to better manage energy consumption.
- Describe the application and operation of different non electric energy systems
- Compare different techniques for storage and use of electricity.
- Compare different methods of generating electricity
- Describe the nature and application of electricity.
- Describe the nature and scope of alternative energy.
- What you will doing during this Course
- List different insulating materials which may be commonly found inside electrical equipment?
- Determine a practical example to show the relevance of each of Kirchoff's Laws to a technician, in their daily work?
- Contact a number of suppliers of alternative energy generating systems (e.g. wind, solar). Find out all that you can about the types of systems they supply. Collect any relevant leaflets and brochures. If possible observe such systems in action.
- Design a floor plan and describe the current electricity use of a home which you are familiar with (but which uses only mains power supply).
Alternative energy is growing
- This might be the home of a friend, relative, or even your own home.
- Recommend ways in which this home might reduce reliability on mains supply (either in part or full) by introducing its own electricity generation system
- Compare the relative significance of alternative sources of energy including wind, solar, fossil fuels, hydro, etc.
- Explain electricity, including its nature, terminology and options for applying it as an energy source
- Explain the generation of electricity through a variety of means including: Photo voltaic cells, Wind powered generators, Petrol powered generators and Batteries.
- Describe procedures for appropriate use of electricity, including storage and safety
- Develop ways of reducing energy consumption, including effective temperature control.
- Evaluate a building and recommend appropriate measures for minimising it'sconsumption of energy.
- Identify the restrictions or regulations which can affect the adoption of more appropriateenergy applications for a specific property.
- Plan the conversion of a property from high energy consumption systems to an appropriate network of sustainable and lower energy consumption systems.
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Course Qualification||Level 4 Certificate in Alternative Energy|
|Exam Required?||Finalised with exam/test|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK