Counselling Children 100 Hours Certificate Course
Ask a question
Counselling Children 100 Hours Certificate Course
Online course in Counselling Children: Learn the skills needed to help the mental health of children. Discover how factors such as: divorce or separation, bullying, grief, or even moving to a new house can affect a child's mental well-being.
This child counselling course has been accredited at Level 3, by ACCPH - The Professional Organisation for Coaches, Counsellors, Psychotherapists and clinical Hypnotherapists. Once you have graduated, including completing the final exam, you will be able to join ACCPH as a Professional Member and use the letters MACCPH after your name.
Your qualification will also be endorsed and awarded by an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation, meaning Counselling Children has been independently assessed for quality and suitability of learning, by both a professional and an academic body.
Child Counsellors provide children with the opportunity to share their troubles, away from their normal home and school environments. Dependent on age, there are a number of methods by which a child can be encouraged to communicate their feelings to a child counselling professional. These include: drawing and painting, reading or telling stories, explaining their concerns by speaking through a character, from a book or in drama, talking therapy or a combination of talking therapies and activity
Do you want to learn the right skills, that will give you the tools to help children as a Child Counsellor? Then look no further. This online distance learning course has been designed by industry relevant professionals and is taught by Iona Lister, a highly qualified and experienced counselling professional and author. So, you can be sure of receiving the very best start to your new vocation.
Learning Goals: Counselling Children BPS218
- Explain broad groups of psychological disorders in children and possible causes of problems
- Understand the significance of development and differences to adults in the assessment of child mental health
- Understand childhood anxiety and possible counselling approaches to treatment
- Understand childhood depression and possible counselling approaches to treatment
- Understand childhood eating and feeding disorders and possible counselling approaches to treatment
- Understand childhood anxiety and possible counselling approaches to treatment
- Explain a range of other problems and disorders affecting children; and compare alternative response strategies
- Explain a range of different counselling strategies and possible outcomes that are appropriate to use when dealing with children
- Investigate a child in need of counselling and develop a treatment plan for that child
Lesson Structure: Counselling Children BPS218
1 Introduction to Types & Causes of Childhood Problems
- Types of Childhood Problems
- Causes of Childhood Problems
- Resilience & Vulnerability
2 Assessment of Childhood Problems
- Understanding Normal Development
- Assessing Children
- Significance of Prevalence
3 Counselling for Internalising Problems and Disorders - ANXIETY
- Introduction - Main Types of Anxiety
- Other Types of Anxiety
- Anxiety in Children
- Types of Treatment for Anxiety in Children
- Parental Help
4 Counselling for Internalising Problems and Disorders -DEPRESSION
- Depressive Disorders in Children
- Counselling Treatments for Depression
5 Counselling for Externalising Problems and Disorders – Eating Disorders
- What are Eating Disorders?
- Causes of Eating Disorders
- Signs and Symptoms
- Getting Help
- Case Study – Great Ormond Street Hospital (GOSH) and treatment of eating disorders
6 Counselling for Externalising Problems and Disorders -CONDUCT DISORDERS
- Sub-types of Conduct Disorder
- Symptoms of Conduct Disorder
- Causes of Conduct Disorder
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Conduct Disorder
7 Counselling for Other Problems & Disorders
- Bullying and Cyberbullying
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
- Treatment for ASD
8 Other Counselling Approaches
- Art Therapy
- Lego Therapy
- Play Therapy
9 Problem Based Learning Project (PBL)
a) What is Problem Based Learning?
- Problem Based Learning (PBL) is an instructional method of active learning which focusses the student on investigation and resolution of real-world problems.
b) Why is Problem Based Learning important?
- Problem Based Learning is designed to help students identify, analyse, apply (where possible) and summarise content related to a hypothetical situation. Students are required to demonstrate the ability to work to specification as a learned skill.
c) What is a PBL composed of?
- Part one: Written or oral presentation of key findings relevant to the area of study (within specific guidelines).
- Part two: Reflective evaluation of personal learning.
Course Tutor: Counselling Children BPS219
Licentiate, Speech and Language Therapy, UK, Diploma in Advanced Counselling Skills.
Iona has been a clinician and manager of health services for fifteen years, and a trainer for UK-based medical charities, focusing on psychosocial issues, mental health disorders, and also the promotion of communication skills for people in helping roles. She tutors and facilitates groups via workshops and teleconferences, and now specialises in Sight Loss. As a freelance writer, she contributes regular feature articles for magazines, has written five published books, as well as published courses relating to personal development and counselling skills.
Iona has also written published books, courses and articles across a wide range of subjects, mostly in the areas of health, counselling, psychology, crafts and wildlife.
She has drawn experience from clinical and managerial experience within the NHS as well as medical and humanitarian subjects. She has been a regular feature writer and expert panel member of a national magazine for six years.
- A Guide to Living with Alzheimer's Disease (and associated dementias), The Psychology of Facial Disfigurement; a Guide for Health and Social Care Professionals, When a Medical Skin Condition Affects the Way you Look
- A Guide to Managing Your Future
- Facing Disfigurement with Confidence
- Cross Stitch
- A Guide to Creativity and Success for Beginners.
Courses written include:
- Mental Health and Social Work
- Counselling Skills
- Understanding and Responding to Substance Misuse
- Journalling for Personal Development
- Guided Imagery
- Stress Management.
Current work includes:
- Tutor: Courses associated with Creative Writing, Counselling Skills, Psychology, Holistic Therapy
- Certified Hypnotherapist and Hypnotension Practitioner.
- Facilitator of Teleconference Groups: Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB)
- Trainer (Skills for Seeing): Macular Society
- Reviewer of Books/Information: Macmillan Cancer Support
- Fundraiser: Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), Embroidery/Art Groups Facilitator, Board Member
- Website Manager: The Strathcarron Project, Coordinator (Delaware & Tennessee) Human Writes
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
|ACCPH Professional Accreditation||In process of being accredited by ACCPH, which allows you to join as a professional member after completion. Membership means you can add the letters MACCPH after your name.|
|CMA Professional Accreditation||In process of being accredited by the CMA - The Complimentary Medical Association. On completion of any qualifying module, you can join as a Fully Qualified Practitioner and be entitled to use the post-nominal latters MCMA after your name. CMA Full Membership is a privileged position and the fact that you have been accepted for CMA Membership demonstrates that you have a clear commitment to standards and professionalism. CMA Members in all categories are recognised as the elite in their field.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....