Marine Studies I 100 Hours Certificate Course
Hi - following up Matt' question, do you mean there is a task and then written assignment after each module in the Diploma in Marine Studies? I hope so!
Thank you for getting in touch. After you have completed the background reading dealing with the subject of the lesson as a whole, you course is then targeted at your own geographical area in the world through the set task, followed by a written assignment and his pattern is followed in every lesson and in every module of the Diploma in Marine Studies.
Hello, are you sent books that will help you with this course?
Thank you for your question. Everything you need to complete this course is included in the fee. The course is split into lessons, followed by a set task and then a written assignment. Therefore you learn three ways, helping you to retain and understand the course material better.
do I have to sit for an exam or can I opt for a project for this course?
You can choose to do a project instead of an exam if you prefer.
Ask a question
Marine Studies I 100 Hours Certificate Course
Marine Studies I course online. Home Study/Online Course. Understand key aspects of marine environments! Build a knowledge of marine life and ecology, whether for work or general interest.
The first two lessons deal with marine environments (weather, nutrient cycle, reefs, shallow and deep water environments, etc). Lessons 3 to 8 deal mostly with marine animals, particularly more complex animals, and the last lesson considers human impacts upon marine environments.
Do you love the sea? Then this course will help you to provide a firm foundation, from which to build your knowledge and experience. After completing this course, you can take Marine Studies ll, or use it to upgrade your qualification and areas of expertise, by completing a Diploma in Marine Studies, or Wildlife Management.
In addition, this is an invaluable course on its own if:
- you are a diver, wanting to understand the underwater world better.
- you are an Ecotourism professional - someone who conducts guided tours on shorelines or at sea
- you are a budding marine biologist
- you have an interest in marine life
- you want to pursue a business or career in maritime related areas
Course duration: 100 hours approx. - Work at your own pace with no deadlines
Qualification: Level 4 Certificate in Marine Studies l
Learning Goals: Marine Studies I BEN103
- Identify characteristics of various marine environmentsDiscuss the first basic groups of marine animal life.
- Identify characteristics of various marine environments.
- Discuss the first basic groups of marine animal life.
- Describe the range of molluscs and crustaceans in the marine environment and their lifecycles.
- Describe the biology and ecological significance of Cephalopods and Clupeoids in the marine environment.
- Describe a range of cartilaginous fish (sharks, rays) and selected bony fish (eels) that inhabit the ocean.
- Describe selected species and the diversity of marine fish that exists in the world?s oceans.
- Describe a range of marine mammals.
- Discuss the presence of marine mammals in the seas and oceans of the world.
- Describe a range of reptiles and birds that co-habitat with fish in the marine environment.
- Explain the impact of humans upon marine environments and of selected aspects of commercial fishing
Lesson Structure: Marine Studies I BEN103
There are 9 lessons:
1 Marine Ecology Systems
- Ecology; Marine Weather (including El Nino, Thermocline, Gulf streams, etc)
- Continental shelf
- Nutrient cycle
- Red tide
- Marine Plants (including Mangroves, Shallow & Deep water algae, etc)
2 Shallow Waters & Reefs
- Coral Reefs
- Rocky Shorelines
- Introduction to marine arthropods
3 Shellfish & Crustaceans
- Molluscs and Brachiopods. True Crabs, Hermit Crabs, Lobsters, Prawns etc
4 Squid, Octopus, and Other Primitive Animals
- (Cephalopods and Clupeoids, etc)
5 Fish Part A
- (Cartilaginous Fish) Sharks, Eels, Rays; Shark Lifecycle, How dangerous are sharks? Effect of sharks on tourism, etc.
6 Fish Part B
- (Bony Fish) Fish Anatomy/structure (identifying external & internal parts); legalities (protection of wildlife), types of fish, etc
7 Marine Mammals
- Dolphins, Whales, etc
- Types of marine mammals
- Protection and politics
- Position of these animals in the food chain
- Products derived from marine mammals & substitutes for those products.
8 Turtles, Sea Snakes and Seabirds
- Types of turtles & sea snakes
- toxicity of sea snakes
- turtle protection
- penguins and other sea birds (eg stints, knots, pelicans, swans, gulls, eagles, ibis, egrets, terns, shearwaters, gannets, albatross, prions, oyster-catchers and petrels).
9 Human Impact on Marine Environments & Fishing
- Human impact on marine environments
- commercial vs recreational fishing
- significance of certain mesopelagic fish
- techniques for managing stocks of fish & other marine life.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?|
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final exam.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||100 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....