Ornamental Horticulture 600 Hours Diploma
Ask a question
Ornamental Horticulture 600 Hours Diploma
Understand How to Manage Public or Private Gardens.
Learn all about ornamental plants. A 600-hour course that provides initial training for anyone working, or intending to work in ornamental horticulture. The course is designed to teach the basics of how to identify, grow, and maintain ornamental plants and gardens in any climate. Emphasis is placed on the plant varieties which are horticulturally most valuable. Topics covered include garden maintenance, turf care, arboriculture, landscaping, and nursery work.
The Diploma in Horticulture (Ornamental Horticulture) is a vocationally based course comprising core studies (general horticulture) and stream studies specific to ornamental horticulture.
- You'll learn to develop general and broad based skills in horticultural practices and plant identification.
- Understand and build more specific knowledge in areas of ornamental horticulture including garden maintenance,
- turf care, arboriculture, landscaping and nursery work.
- network and connect with the industry as you progress in your studies study, building contacts and networking skills
The Diploma in Horticulture (Ornamental Horticulture) involves the following areas of work:
CORE STUDIES - includes at least 300 hours, divided into 15 lessons, approx. half of the course.
STREAM STUDIES - involves a further 300 hrs of study going into greater depth in the areas of garden maintenance, nursery practices and landscaping.
- Introduction to Plants Nomenclature and taxonomy, the plant kingdom, genus, species, hybrids
- Parts of the Plant How plants grow, plant structure, parts of the flower and leaf, modification of stems and roots
- Plant Culture – Planting How to plant and protect newly planted specimens, terms like: annuals, biennials, perennials, deciduous,
evergreen and herbaceous plants
- Plant Culture – Pruning Purpose for pruning, rules for pruning, how to prune
- Plant Culture – Irrigation and Machinery Different irrigation systems, components of an irrigation system,
designing an irrigation system, selection, use and maintenance of machinery and tools
- Soils & Media Soil classifications, testing soil, potting mixes, the U.C. System, ingredients of potting mixes
- Soils & Nutrition Fertilisers – deficiencies and toxicities, N:P:K ratios, salting, fertiliser programming, compost
- Propagation – Seeds & Cuttings How to propagate plants by seed and cuttings, propagating mixes,
cold frame construction, after care for young plants
- Propagation – Other Techniques Other methods to increase plant numbers – budding, grafting, layering, division and tissue culture
- Identification and Use of Plants How are plants used in the landscape, how to choose and purchase plants,
selecting plants suitable for the climate and site
- Identification and Use of Plants Problems with plants and choosing plants for problem sites
- Identification and Use of Plants Indoor and tropical plants, flowers, herbs, bulbs, ferns
- Pests Identifying and controlling pests, chemical and natural methods for control, chemical safety precautions
- Diseases Identifying and controlling diseases, plant pathology, fungi, viruses, non-pathogenic problems,
interactions with the host and the environment
- Weeds Identifying and controlling weeds, chemical terminology
This part of the course involves four main areas of study, as follows:
Lesson 1 Introduction to Landscaping
Lesson 2 Landscape Design Procedure
Lesson 3 Landscape Construction A
Lesson 4 Landscape Construction B
2. Plant knowledge
Lesson 5 Plants for Problem Areas
Lesson 6 Flowers, Indoor and Tropical Plants
Lesson 7 Herbs
3. Plant Care
Lesson 8 Different Growing Techniques
Lesson 9 Arboriculture
Lesson 10 Planning Garden Maintenance
Lesson 11 Turf Care
4. Nursery Practices
Lesson 12 Introduction to Nursery Management
Lesson 13 Nursery Stock Production and Quality Control
Lesson 14 Operating a Garden Centre
Lesson 15 Marketing and Management in Ornamental Horticulture
Scope of stream studies:
- Landscape design (including pre-planning and drawing plans).
- Principles and styles of landscape designs.
- Analysis of garden designs.
- Graphic skills, materials and techniques.
- Estimating costs for landscape jobs.
- Surfacing materials and their effects.
- Quality and cost of different landscape materials.
- Plant knowledge, both native and exotic, suitable for local conditions.
- Plant selection for difficult sites and conditions (including treating degraded sites and interior plantscaping).
- Tropical and indoor plants.
- Environmental factors important for indoor plant culture.
- Bulbs, perennials and annuals.
- Planting design for flower beds (annuals and bulbs) suitable for your locality.
- Herb culture and garden design.
- Miscellaneous growing techniques including; bonsai, terrariums, pot culture, baskets and hydroponics.
- Describe the importance of trees to humans.
- Procedures for the proper and safe removal of a limb from a tree.
- Tree problems and their treatment.
- Compartmentalisation, and its effect on the spread of disease in trees.
- Preparing a detailed maintenance program for a garden.
- Seed selection, storage, preparation and spreading (sowing).
- Preparation, planting and establishment of a lawn.
- Establishing turf on a steep slope.
- Turf maintenance techniques.
- Analysis of nursery production systems.
- Preparing a flow chart for the production of a particular plant, from propagation to marketing.
- Preparing a maintenance program for green life in a garden centre.
- Preparing guidelines for the disposal of surplus or below standard stock in a nursery.
- Write an advertisement for a nursery or garden maintenance business.
- Basic management procedures for a single person nursery or garden maintenance business.
- Basic communication skills.
- Health and safety requirements for a nursery or garden maintenance workplace.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 60 - U.S. Credit Hours: 18 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK