Propagation 600 Hours Diploma
Ask a question
Propagation 600 Hours Diploma
Diploma in Horticulture (Propagation) course online.The Diploma in Horticulture (Plant Propagation) is a vocationally oriented course comprising a core of studies common to all horticulture certificates, plus specialised studies in plant propagation.
The objective of the course is to:
- develop skills and knowledge about propagating different types of plants by seed, cuttings, budding and grafting, separation, division and layering in a commercially viable way.
- develop skills and knowledge about tools, equipment & growing structures used in a nursery for plant production.
- develop general skills in horticultural practices and plant identification.
This Diploma involves the following areas of work:
- CORE STUDIES: - fifteen lessons involving at least 350 hours.
- STREAM STUDIES: - stream studies on plant propagation involving at least 350 hours of study.
Lesson Structure: Diploma In Horticulture (Propagation) VHT002
There are 15 lessons in the first half (core):
- Introduction to Plants
- Nomenclature and taxonomy, the plant kingdom, genus, species, hybrids.
- Parts of the Plant
- How plants grow, plant structure, parts of the flower and leaf, stem & root modification.
- Plant Culture - Planting
- How to plant and protect newly planted specimens, terms like: annuals, biennials, perennials, deciduous, evergreen and herbaceous plants.
- Plant Culture - Pruning
- Purpose for pruning, rules for pruning, how to prune.
- Plant Culture - Irrigation and Machinery
- Different irrigation systems, components of an irrigation system, designing an irrigation system, selection, use and maintenance of machinery and tools.
- Soils & Media
- Soil classifications, testing soil, potting mixes, the U.C. System, ingredients of potting mixes.
- Soils & Nutrition
- Fertilisers - deficiencies and toxicities, NPK ratios, salting, fertiliser programming, compost.
- Propagation - Seeds & Cuttings
- How to propagate plants by seed and cuttings, propagating mixes, cold frame construction, after care for young plants.
- Propagation - Other Techniques
- Other methods - budding, grafting, layering, division and tissue culture.
- Identification and Use of Plants
- How are plants used in the landscape, how to choose and purchase plants, selecting plants suitable for the climate and site.
- Identification and Use of Plants
- Problems with plants and choosing plants for problem sites.
- Identification and Use of Plants
- Indoor and tropical plants, flowers, herbs, bulbs, ferns.
- Identifying and controlling pests, chemical and natural methods for control, chemical safety precautions.
- Identifying and controlling diseases, plant pathology, fungi, viruses, non-pathogenic problems, interactions with the host and the environment.
- Identifying and controlling weeds, chemical terminology.
-Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
STREAM STUDY LESSONS
There are four major topic areas comprising fifteen lessons in the second half.
The content of the 15 lessons is as outlined below:
- UNIT 1. SEED PROPAGATION
- Lesson 1. Methods Of Propagation
- Lesson 2. Seed Propagation A
- Lesson 3. Seed Physiology & Germination
- Lesson 4. Seed Propagation B
- UNIT 2. CUTTING PROPAGATION
- Lesson 5. Propagation By Cuttings A
- Lesson 6. Propagation By Cuttings B
- Lesson 7. Efficiencies In Cutting Production
- UNIT 3. BUDDING, GRAFTING & OTHER PROPAGATION TECHNIQUES
- Lesson 8. Miscellaneous Propagating Techniques
- Lesson 9. Budding & Grafting
- Lesson 10. Tissue Culture
- Lesson 11. Layering
- UNIT 4. NURSERY PRODUCTION SYSTEMS & EQUIPMENT
- Lesson 12. Propagating Structures & Equipment
- Lesson 13. Propagating Materials
- Lesson 14. Nursery Management A
- Lesson 15. Nursery Management B
- Collect seed from and propagate different varieties of plants with that seed.
- Describe the method and time of year used to propagate at least 200 different plant varieties.
- Draw and label the parts of a seed.
- Explain how a seed germinates, and grows in the early stages of its development.
- Explain a variety of different harvest and post harvest treatments for seed.
- Explain a variety of pre-germination treatments for seed.
- Collect, identify and prepare cuttings for at least 50 different varieties of plants.
- Propagate from cuttings and successfully grow on ten different plant varieties to the stage of a saleable tube.
- Mix and use a propagation media suited to propagating cuttings and seed.
- Explain the reasons why particular propagation methods are preferred to other methods.
- Explain the propagation of at least 40 different varieties of plants by grafting or budding.
- Prepare examples of at least ten different types of grafts.
- Successfully execute at least ten grafts using at least ten different plant variety combinations.
- Propagate fifteen different plants by methods including separation, division and layering.
- Explain tissue culture techniques and their commercial relevance in plant production.
- Consider site features which are important to the operation of a nursery.
- Explain different nursery production systems.
- Construct a simple inexpensive cold frame.
- Prepare a routine maintenance program for plants in a production nursery.
- Analyse and report on the operation of two different production nurseries.
- Prepare a floor plan for the interior layout of a propagation/potting area.
- Describe how to pot up and plant out at least 20 different types of plants.
- Describe soils and potting media in terms of texture, structure and water holding and nutrient holding capacity.
- Prescribe methods of improving soil structure, infiltration rate, water holding capacity, drainage and aeration.
- Describe how to grow plants successfully in containers.
- Describe suitable potting mixes for container growing of five different types of plants.
- List safety procedures to be followed in a nursery.
- Show an awareness of irrigation equipment and its operation in a nursery.
- Explain growing structures and equipment used to enhance the propagation of plants including, hot beds, misting, fogging, cold frames and greenhouses.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 60 - U.S. Credit Hours: 18 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK