Dog Psychology and Training
Ask a question
Dog Psychology and Training
Dog Psychology and Training course online. An understanding of canine psychology and behaviour is vitally important for anyone who works with dogs or keeps them as a companion animal.
Course Structure: Dog Psychology and Training BAG221
There are 9 lessons:
- Nature and Scope of Canine Psychology
- A brief history of the canine evolution
- Canine industries
- Canine Senses
- Understanding canine communication
- Body Language
- Elimination Postures
- Understanding Natural Canine Behaviour
- Social Structure
- Social Behaviour
- Clinical Problems
- Biological Rhythms
- Sexual Behaviour
- Maternal Behaviour
- Suckling and Weaning
- Eating and Drinking
- Canine Behavioural Development
- Nature or Nuture
- Sensitive Periods
- Neurological Development
- Canine Temperament Testing
- How Breeds Differ
- Canine Behavioural Disorders
- Attention Seeking Behaviour
- Excessive barking
- Running away
- Chasing moving objects
- Separation anxiety
- Excessive compulsive disorders
- Cognitive Dysfunction
- Calming a dog
- Basic Dog Training
- Forming habits
- Classical Conditioning
- Operant Conditioning
- House training
- The use of visual signals
- The use of voice commands
- The use of training aids
- Dog Obedience Training
- Practical Training Techniques
- Bark on Signal
- Controlling a Dogs Movement
- Territorial nature of dogs
- Dog doors
- Exercise requirements
- Socialisation requirments
- Walking on a lead/leash
- Electronic barriers
- Pet Registration and Licensing
- Controlling Killing Wildlife
- Training Working Dogs
- Training for scent discrimination or substance detection
- Training for retrieving
- Hearing dogs
- Controlling attacks on animals and people
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the academy, marked by the academy's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Aims: Dog Psychology and Training BAG221
- Describe how canine animals think and discuss the relevance of understanding canine psychology to people.
- Explain how canine animals communicate and formulate an understanding of possible ways that a human may communicate with a dog.
- Understand behaviours that are natural and predictable in canines and learn to recognise and understand signals that dogs give.
- Explain how dogs develop behavioural characteristics throughout stages of their life.
- Describe commonly occurring behavioural problems in dogs.
- Develop a program for training a new pet dog when it is brought into a household. • Explain how to train a dog to perform predetermined actions upon command.
- Describe how the movement of dogs can be controlled, both through training and other methods.
- Describe how dogs can be trained to perform tasks required as a working dog, including a sheep dog, tracking dog, blind dog or substance detection dog.
|Course Start||Anytime, Anywhere|
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Course Qualification||Level 4 Certificate in Dog Psychology & Training|
|Exam Required?||Finalised with an exam/test|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK