Ask a question
Farm Management course online. Home Study Farm Management. Learn successful management of farming business through this Distance Learning Course. Animal rearing and crop production are only part of the picture in successful farming good management skills are also vital. So a team of experts from the UK and Australia were enlisted, under the leadership of renowned horticulturalist John Mason to develop this course. You will learn how to analyse, diagnose and make management decisions related to a farm business. A thorough and comprehensive Online course in farm management.
Lesson Structure: Farm Management BAG104
There are 8 lessons:
1. Strategic Planning - planning procedures;the policy formulation approach, strategic management approach, initial strategy approach; Farm business structures; Management plans; Financial terminology and the money market; Finding finance; Rural finance sources; Financial terminology and record keeping; Contract law; Elements of a simple contract; Offers; Acceptance; Consideration; Strategic plans; Trusts
2. Business Plans - Farm Planning; Quality management systems; Whole farm planning; Preparing a business plan; Integrated production plans
3. Business Assessment - Business goals; factors involved in business assessment;Considering factors affecting your business; Drawing conclusions
4. Viability Analysis - Assessing profit; Risk analysis and managing risk; Standards; Cost efficiency; Cost of production; Quality and quantity standards; Financial records; The bookkeeping process; End of period accounting; Cash flow; Example of budget; sensitivity analysis
5. Management Strategies - Organising the workplace; Scheduling; Production systems; system variables; Animal production systems; Lot feeding; Cropping systems; Polyculture; Office systems; Computers;Business diversification; Value adding
6. Human Resources - Supervision; Oganisational structures; Leadership; Workplace changes; Interviewing, recruitment and staff induction; Giving instructions; managing human resources; work scheduling; Occupational Health and safety; Duty of care; Protective equipment; Dealing with chemicals; Handling tools and equipment; Safety auditing
7. Physical Resources - Managing equipment, machinery and buildings; Managing physical resources;Engineering efficiency; Animal structures
8. Natural Resources - Regulations and legislation; Land Care programs; Rehabilitation; Trees; Erosion control; Soil degradation; Salinity; Soil acidification: Compaction; Chemical Residues; Water management; Water quality; Irrigation and watering systems
BSc Engineering Physics (Honours, University of Alberta, Canada)
Aleksandr focused on lasers, optics and software research during and after his degree. He went on to work in a Canadian laser gas detection company where he published some of his research and focused on optimizing the optics and software of the next generation product. After working in this field for a few years, Aleksandr started tutoring engineering, physics, chemistry and maths to students in and just before University, with which he now has a few years experience. Aleksandr is very interested in sustainable technologies which has shifted his focus to researching and learning modern and traditional farming and natural building methods around Europe.
BSc Hons Biology (University of Sussex)
Juliette has over 10 years experience in teaching and private tutoring. As an undergraduate, she contributed to published research on the behaviour of an endangered bat species, though her main areas of interest and pecialisation are genetics and cellular biology. After 7 months in the rainforests & reefs of Central America, Juliette began her teaching career at prestigious private school, Brighton College. She soon returned to Central America, heading up a field-trip for A-level students. She has been private tutor & exam coach to a range of students with very diverse backgrounds, aptitudes and expectations.More recently, Juliette has enjoyed working with adults with learning difficulties and enormous barriers to education. Juliette currently splits her time between England and Bulgaria, where she works as a teacher and missionary.
urse is taught by:
Learning Goals: Farm Management BAG104
- Develop strategic planning methods for an agricultural business.
- Prepare a Farm Business Plan.
- Develop methods for assessing the operations of a Farm Business.
- Analyse the viability of different production enterprises:
- assessing profits
- risk analysis
- cost efficiency
- quality standards
- financial records
- Develop strategies for managing different farm production enterprises, covering workplace organisation and crop scheduling.
- Plan the management of human resources in a farm business covering:
- types of leadership/managers
- orders & instruction
- motivating employees
- Develop methods for managing the physical resources of a farm business including managing equipment, machinery and buildings.
- Develop methods for managing the natural resources of a farm business, covering topics:
- landcare programs
- erosion control
- soil degradation
- soil acidification
- chemical residues
Farming is just as much about management as it is about animal or crop production. Unfortunately in today's world, the ability to produce a good animal or crop is no guarantee for success!
Through this course, learn to analyse, diagnose and make decisions related to management of a farm business. The course relates to managing all resources, including; production, staff, physical resources, and natural resources. You learn strategic planning, whole farm planning, and how to prepare a business plan.
This course was developed by a team of experts from Australia and the UK, under the leadership of John Mason, author of three Farm Management books (published by imprints of Simon & Schuster and CSIRO)
|Validating Body||ASIQUAL. Asiqual awards qualifications at levels 3-7, which equate to undergraduate and post-graduate degree level.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Course Qualification||Level 4 Certificate in Farm Management|
|Exam Required?||Finalised with an exam/test|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
Write your own review on this course.
Your Review:Note: HTML is not translated!
|Value for Money|
|Quality of Student Support|
|Study Zone (Ease of Use)|
|Add pros||Add cons|
Enter the code in the box below:
"The best thing is that at the end of the course, I am going to have a qualification specific to the career that I am going to work in. It's abled me to top up, switch careers and take ahold of my future. The course has been invaluable in giving me a route to a new career and happiness"