Garden Maintenance 100 Hours Certificate Course
If I pay for the memory stick, is working from the stick in addition to working online or instead of? ie. I want to work online but I would pay for the stick as a 'back up' of the resources etc. Is that how it works or does buying the stick mean you can then work online? Thanks.
purchasing the USB stick service is an addition to the Online Classroom service that comes with every enrolment. So you can work between the two mediums.
Hi, Can you just confirm what the certificate I would get at the end would be - is it an RHS qualification? Thanks
Hi Gareth, the qualification you receive at the end is a Level 4 Certificate in Garden Maintenance awarded by our validating body ASIQUAL.
Ask a question
Garden Maintenance 100 Hours Certificate Course
Garden Maintenance course online. Study from home to become expert at maintaining gardens, either professionally or for your own piece of heaven via distance learning!
Maintain a garden in perfect condition with this long-established course developed by professionals in the gardening industry. This course will help you to save time and resources at the same time as maintaining gardens and even parks to a high standard.
Over 10 comprehensive lessons, you will acquire skills in maintaining tools and ornamental furniture, dealing with garden weeds, garden pests and garden disease, correct plant nutrition, lawn and turf management, irrigation and plant management like pruning. You will also learn to efficiently survey gardens and parks and use the information to write a regular garden maintenance program.
This course will help you if you want to start a self-employed garden maintenance business, own a small, medium or large gardening service and need staff to be trained properly in garden maintenance techniques, or if you are a keen amateur gardener aspiring to have the "perfect garden".
Learning Goals: Garden Maintenance VHT100
- Evaluate the maintenance needs and develop a plan for maintaining a garden.
- Select and maintain tools and equipment appropriately for use in garden maintenance.
- Describe maintenance requirements for garden structures such as furniture, gates and fencing.
- Maintain appropriate nutrition requirements for healthy plant growth.
- Control weeds in a garden.
- Use weedicides in a safe and effective way.
- Control pests using non chemical methods.
- Use chemical pesticides safely and efficiently.
- Maintain lawns in a healthy and well maintained condition.
- Describe options for managing water in a garden.
- Determine actions that should be taken to maintain a variety of different plants.
Lesson Structure: Garden Maintenance VHT100
There are 10 lessons:
1 Introduction - Planning and managing a garden
- The Cost of Garden Maintenance
- The Cost of Winter Maintenance
- What Costs?
- What happens if you don’t maintain a garden?
- Expensive Areas in a Garden
- Less Expensive Areas
- Checklists for Gardening: General Garden Maintenance, Garden Beds and Lawns, Weeds, Pests and Diseases
- Analysis of Parks Maintenance
- Major Areas of Parks Maintenance Work
- Departmental Organisation and Staffing in Parks
- Standard Areas of Responsibility
- Grey Areas of Responsibility
- Building a Staff Organisation
2 Garden Furnishings and Machinery
- The Right Tool for the Job
- Garden Maintenance
- Broad Overview of Machinery for Parks Maintenance
- Other Maintenance Tools
- Looking After Tools
- Power Tools: Engine Troubleshooting
- Outdoor Furniture
- Protecting Outdoor Furniture
- Paints, Stains and Preservatives
- Painting Your Outdoor Furniture at a Glance
3 Feeding Plants
- Symptons and Diagnosis
- How to Conduct an Inspection
- Soil Physical Characteristics
- Identifying Soil Types
- Soil Chemical Characteristics
- Cation Exchange Capacity
- Buffering Capacity
- Plant Nutrition
- Nutrient Elements
- Choosing the Right Fertiliser
- Diagnosing Nutritional Problems
- Improving Soils
4 Weed Control
- Weeds: Weed Control Techniques
- Identifying Weeds
- Weed Encyclopaedia
- How Weeds are Spread
- Law in Relation to Chemical Use
- Types of Herbicide Chemicals
- Poisonous Plants
- Environmental Weeds
- Noxious Weeds
- Weed Control For Specific Areas
6 Natural Pest Control
- Natural Pest and Disease Control
- Cultural Control
- Mechanical Control
- Physical Controls
- Methods for Controlling Certain Insect Pests
- Beneficial Plants
- Other Reported Beneficial Plants With Pesticide Qualities
- Companion Planting
- Companion Planting Chart
- Common Environmental Problems: Drainage Problems, Frost, Hail, Shade, Temperature, Wind
- Deterring Cats, Dogs, Mice, Rats etc
- Tolerance Levels
- Biological Controls
- Natural Sprays
- General Ways of Protecting Plants
7 Chemical Pest Control
- Chemical Treatments
- Integrated Pest Managent
- Ways of Applying Chemicals
- Safety Procedures When Using Chemicals
- Understanding Chemical Pesticides Before Use
- Summary of Pesticides
- Commonly Used Pesticides
8 Turf Management
- Common Turf Problems
- Establising and Maintaining Lawns and Grassed Areas
- Lawn Mixes
- What to Grow Where
- Lawn/Turf Establishment
- Soil Preparation
- Instant Turf
- Mowing Lawns
- Lawn Mowers
- Mowing Guidelines
- Mowing Heights
- Fertilising Turf
- How to Aerate, Scarify, Top Dress and Fertilise a Lawn
- How to Repair Turf
- Golden Rukes for Laying Instant Turf
- Turf Varities in Parks and Maintenance
- Water and Plant Growth
- Soil Water
- Planning an Irrigation System
- How to Use a Watering System
- Slippery Slime Control
10 Maintenance of Plants
- Pruning Evergreens
- General Pruning Techniques For Ornamental Flowering Shrubs and Trees
- Winter Pruning
- Pruning Fruit Trees
- Pruning Lemon Trees
- Pruning Perennials
- Pruning Roses
- Pruning Tools
- Environmental Influences on Plants
- Physical Plant Protection Methods
N.B. Each lesson is followed by a self-assessment test, set task or tasks which could include: further research, networking, plus looking at the advantages and disadvantages of a particular subject and finally written assignments. The final written assignment is marked and graded by your personally assigned mentor and sent back with helpful comments and suggestions.
The quality of this course is second to none, from the in-depth learning you will get to the expert individual mentoring you will receive throughout your studies. The mentors for this course are:
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final exam.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||100 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....