Hi I have software CS4 would this be OK? and do you offer any higher level graphic design courses e.g. HND course for distance learning?
Hello Jenifer and thank you for getting in touch.
You do not need any specific software for this course. It is a fairly comprehensive program, covering what you need to know in the lessons that it teaches and there isn't a higher course available in it. Students quite often combine this course with other courses to gain a higher qualification. For example:
We hope that this helps and please come back to us if you need any more information.
Hello, I know the certificate in graphic design you offer is worth level 4 alvel standars, but does this equate to any UCAS points?
This course is not under the UCAS points system, but has a weight of 10 credits once completed.
hi,is this certificate equivalent to a GCSE level 4 or 5?
This course is a level 4 course under the EQF (A-level standard). I hope this helps!
Is the certificate received a certificate of higher education? Thanks
Hello Rachel, The Certificate received is issued by ADL and the course itself is at a level 4 standard on the EQF.
Ask a question
Graphic Design course online. Want to learn more about Graphic design -then this course will help you develop your skills, awareness and understanding of this subject area and how it is applied commercially across a range of disciplines, ranging from marketing to publishing and beyond.
This course has been endorsed by TQUK. Endorsement of our courses by TQUK sets them apart from other vocational learning programmes and is an achievement to be proud of. It further demonstrates that we are an efficient academy with excellent courses and tutorial support. It also means that potential and existing students, employers and universities can be sure of the true value of the learning we provide.
Lesson Structure: Graphic Design BIT205
There are 10 lessons:
- Scope and Nature of Graphic Design
- Design Fundamentals (line, tone, colour etc)
- Colour Theory and Applications
- Illustration -methods & techniques
- Logotype Design
- Layout Design
- Design Systems and the Design Industry (design briefs, how to bid for jobs, etc)
- Comparative Design -Lessons From Other Designers (lots of research)
- Design Project - A practical project applying everything prior to this.
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the academy for marking by your tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Design Tips When Putting together a Layout
- Length of a line of text needs to be balanced according to size of the text. (Long lines are inappropriate for tiny lettering, but may be very appropriate for very large letters).
- Don’t clutter (increasing white space will make words and images more noticeable)
- Do not use borders, boxes, clip art excessively or inappropriately. These things can cause clutter and detract from the message of the artwork.
- Use less rather than more fonts.
- Use caps with the correct fonts (Some fonts are caps only!)
- Use one space between sentences rather than two (mostly)
- Do not over use centering, particularly with text
- Use ragged right or full justification (mostly)
- Avoid double hard returns after a paragraph
- Use proper punctuation
- Reset software defaults (usually default settings are inappropriate when creating a design)
- Use rules of third and the golden mean to help with layouts
- Fonts have different weights light, normal, semi bold, bold, italic use these rather than a different font.
What do you know about Typography?
- Typography involves the choosing and using of letters in the words you produce in your graphic design.
- Typeface selection can be a very subjective and personal decision, that is easily affected by bias of a designer. A good designer needs to be able to adopt a perspective that is as far away from any sort of prejudice as possible; and choose typefaces that are most suited to the job at hand, and suitable for the client and the reader.
Consider the criteria you are applying?
- Must be Legible (ie. The way individual letters look will determine how legible they are)
- Must be Readable (ie. The way different letters are arranged together will determine how readable they are)
- Must have appropriate impact (Letters can be legible and readable, and still not get noticed, dor example, bold, contrasting letters have more impact)
|Course Start||Anytime, Anywhere|
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Course Qualification||Level 4 Certificate in Graphic Design|
|Exam Required?||Finalised with an exam/test|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK