Ask a question
Home Garden Expert 100 Hours Course
Home Garden Expert course online. Create your ideal garden! Become the gardening expert of your family with this comprehensive home gardening course. This course contains hundreds of pages of notes, hundreds of photos and illustrations, and (for the online & USB version) large numbers of automated self assessment tests. Eight units each comprising 2 or 3 lessons. Each lesson involves both reading and practical work.
Learn how to Grow Plants from the Experts. This course has been Producing Garden Experts since 1985
- Become the gardening expert in your family (and neighbourhood)
- Learn to grow and identify healthy, plants
- Avoid wasting money -choose plants and materials that give you value
- Enjoy home gardening with new confidence and passion
Learn to understand what makes your garden tick. Whatever you want to achieve with your garden, this course will help you to garden more efficiently and effectively.
Lesson Structure: Home Garden Expert Course AHT101
There are 8 lessons:
- Basic Plant Identification & Culture
- Plant names, planting, transplanting, tools & equipment.
- Soils & Nutrition
- Soil structure, nutrition, composting, soil building, drainage, fertilizers.
- Pests & Weeds
- Identifying problems, sprays, biological control, weed identification & control.
- How to design a garden, rockeries, native gardens, traditional (European style) home gardens.
- Propagating materials, seed, cuttings.
- Turf varieties, laying a lawn, lawn care.
- Indoor Gardening
- Hardy indoor plants, container growing.
- The Kitchen Garden
- Vegetable gardening, fruit trees, herbs.
Learning Goals: Home Garden Expert Course AHT101
- Identify plant health problems and know treatments.
- Know the plant naming system and how plants are classified.
- Understand the effect of soil structure and texture on plant growth.
- Understand plant terminology and planting methods.
- Understand plant pruning requirements and methods
- Know plant nutrition requirements
- Understand soil conditions and when they require improvement.
- Recognise a range of pests and diseases and the methods of control.
- Recognise a range of weeds and know various control methods.
- Know a range of garden styles and the history behind them.
- Have knowledge of landscape construction techniques.
- Understand the elements and processes of landscape design.
- Understand various propagating techniques
- Propagate plants by various methods
- Understand the soil preparation and requirements to establish or renovate a lawn
- Know lawn maintenance requirements.
- Understand requirements, including environmental and nutritional aspects of growing plants indoors (including hydroponics and greenhouses).
- Know how to select plants suited to growth indoors
- Develop knowledge of vegetable growing procedures and requirements.
- Have knowledge of a range of fruits and berries suited to the home garden
- Have knowledge of a range of commonly grown herbs and flowers
- Read notes written and supplied by staff of this school
- Watch instructional video
- Test and name different soils
- Mix inexpensive potting mixes
- Make compost and explain how you made it.
- Learn how to identify plants effectively.
- Explain step by step how you would go about planting shrubs in your own locality.
- Explain how to transplant and transport plants from one propertyu to another.
- Determine the tools required to do gardening for a property, using a limited supply of money.
- Explain characteristics of soil, including: Soil Structure, pH and Nutrient Deficiency
- Describe how to fertilize a lawn
- Explain how to improve drainage in a soil that is too wet for plants to do well in.
- Explain how you would improve a specified soil
- Identify a nutrient deficiency
- Observe and identify different categories of pest and disease problems in growing plants.
- Compile a weed collection with pressings or illustrations of different weeds
- Compile a plant collection with pressings or illustrations of different weeds
- Describe how environmental problems affect plants
- Recommend ways of controlling different types opf problems in plants, using both natural and chemical.
- Observe and evaluate different types of gardens.
- Survey a garden in order to prepare a garden design.
- Apply a systematic procedure to landscape design, in order to produce a concept plan for a garden.
- Explain mistakes have you observe in the design and construction of different rockeries
- Build a simple cold frame and us it to propagate plants.
- Prepare propagating mix which would be suitable for striking most types of cuttings.
- Propagate different plants from cuttings.
- Prepare a plan for sowing annual flower seedlings over a 12 month period.
- Evaluate and explain a lawn seed mix from the packaging of that mix
- Observe different lawns and recommend their treatment
- Explain how to establish a lawn
- Observe and evaluate the condition of different indoor plants.
- Recommend the treatment of different indoor plants.
- Prepare lists of indoor plants for different applications.
- Find an indoor plant which needs potting up & pot it up.
- Plant a vegetable patch.
- List fruit, nuts & berries most suited for growing in your locality
- Observe the way in which herbs are used commercially (eg. in medicine, cooking etc)
- Explain why crop rotation is used in growing vegetables?
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 1||Your fee includes your course materials, plus mentor support throughout. You will be required to undertake further research (set tasks) to cement your learning and then to submit written assignments. These will be marked and graded by your mentor and then sent back with helpful and constructive comments. On completion you will receive a Certificate of Attainment issued by ADL.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 2||Your fee includes your learning materials, plus mentor support when you need it. Completion of further research (set tasks) is optional, but advisable to cement your learning. There are no written assignments to submit and no certificate is issued. You can change to option 1 at any time by paying the £100 difference.|
|Comparative Credits Information|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities|
|Designing Your Own Qualification|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?|
Home Garden Expert 100 Hours Course
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....