Home Hydroponics 100 Hours Course
Is the exam online?
Thank you for getting in touch.
The exam is paper based, sent prior to the time you state you want to take it. You do not have to travel to a centre and the exam can be taken in the comfort of your own home.
I hope that this information is useful to you.
Ask a question
Home Hydroponics 100 Hours Course
Home Hydroponics course online. Want to grow healthy food at home by using your own hydopnic system - look no further? This is one of our biggest selling courses, and has been studied by many happy hydroponic food growers.
Lesson Structure: Home Hydroponics AHT107
There are 10 lessons:
- Introduction to Hydroponics & Plant Growth
- Scope and Nature of Hydroponics and terminology (Water Culture, Sand and Gravel Culture, Rockwool, Vermiculaponics, Hydroculture, etc)
- How it Works
- A Simple Manual System to Create
- History of Hydroponics
- Understanding How Plants Grow
- Understanding the Water Requirements and Management
- Basic Chemistry, Nutrition & Nutrient Solutions
- Significance of understanding chemistry for hydroponics
- Understanding Basic Chemistry
- Atoms and Compounds
- The important Plant Nutrients
- Writing Chemical Names
- What concentrations of different nutrients does a plant need?
- Nutrient solutions
- Preparing Nutrient Solutions
- Mechanisms of Nutrient Uptake
- More on Nutrient Solutions
- Understanding differences between Soil Culture and Soil less Culture
- The nitrogen Cycle
- Summary of fertilizers used in Hydroponic Nutrients
- Calculating Chemical Formulae
- Hydroponic Nutrition
- Media and Types of Systems
- Classification of Hydroponic Systems
- What Makes up a System; system variables; Solution Dispensation, Closed or open, Drip, slop, capillary feed, wicks, misting, dry fertilizing etc, Automatic or Manual Operation, Type of Medium, Construction Materials, Rate & Frequency of Irrigation & Feeding, Air Injection (In water culture), Plant Support, Environment controls.
- Choosing a System
- Types of Media
- Leca, (Expanded Clay)
- The Bentley System
- Designing a System
- Nutrient Film Technique
- Alternative NFT Layouts
- Solution Dispensation Options (closed or open system, drip, slop, flood, capillary, dry, mist, etc)
- 16 Other System Options
- Problems in Hydroponics
- Pest and Disease
- Diagnosis of Nutritional Problems
- Controlling Acidity
- Plant Culture
- Flow Charting a Crop
- Greenhouse Management
- Controllers (Salinity, pH)
- Adjusting Solutions using an Electro Conductivity Meter
- Solid Media vs Water Culture
- Indoor Plants
- Gravel Culture compared with NFT
- Growing Vegetables in Hydroponics
- Fresh Cut Herbs in Hydroponics
- Review of all other common vegetables that are suited to hydroponics
- Growing Cut Flowers in Hydroponics
- Review of many other common flowers that are suited to hydroponics
Learning Goals: Home Hydroponics AHT107
- Describe the nature and scope of hydroponic growing in a hobby situation.
- Explain basic plant nutrition chemistry in order to describe the composition and function of hydroponic nutrients.
- Differentiate between a variety of fertilisers and hydroponic nutrients, and suggest how these might be used appropriately in the growing of different types of plants in a hydroponic garden.
- Compare options for media and systems, in order to choose what is appropriate to a specific home situation.
- Design a hydroponic system suited to a particular home situation
- Diagnose common ailments in a hydroponic system, make a determine appropriate action.
- Describe the course of a hydroponic crop in a home situation from initial planting to harvest, and treatment of the harvested crop.
- Differentiate between solid media and nutrient film hydroponic techniques, and the way in which plants may be treated differently in each.
- Plan the production of a sequence of vegetable and herb produce for household use from hydroponic production.
- Determine appropriate methods for hydroponic cut flower production in a home situation.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 1||Your fee includes your course materials, plus mentor support throughout. You will be required to undertake further research (set tasks) to cement your learning and then to submit written assignments. These will be marked and graded by your mentor and then sent back with helpful and constructive comments. On completion you will receive a Certificate of Attainment issued by ADL.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 2||Your fee includes your learning materials, plus mentor support when you need it. Completion of further research (set tasks) is optional, but advisable to cement your learning. There are no written assignments to submit and no certificate is issued. You can change to option 1 at any time by paying the £100 difference.|
|Comparative Credits Information|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities|
|Designing Your Own Qualification|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK