Horticulture II 100 Hours Certificate Course
Ask a question
Horticulture II 100 Hours Certificate Course
Horticulture II course online. Extend your horticultural knowledge though distance learning and home study!
Learn to identify, care for and use plants in a systematic way. Plant knowledge learnt here is in high demand in the horticulture industry.
It is something prized by employers, but all too often minimized in modern courses due to financial constraints.
This expertly developed course is the second of our three general mainstay horticultural courses. Horticulture I provides a broad technical foundation in principles and practice. Horticulture III deals with Plant Health.
Learning Goals: Horticulture II BHT102
- Identify plants from a wide range of taxonomic and cultural groups, using a range of different techniques
- Discuss the selection of plants for different uses through consideration of their physiology and their physiological requirements
- Identify and describe a range of indigenous (native) and naturalised tree and shrub species, from different countries
- Determine techniques for the growing of exotic ornamental shrubs and trees, including the selection, culture and use of different species
- Determine techniques for the growing of indoor plants, including selection, culture and use of different varieties
- Determine techniques for the growing of bedding plants, including selection, culture and use of different varieties
- Develop techniques for the growing of edible crop plants, including selection, culture and use of vegetables, fruit, berries and nuts (Part A).
- Develop knowledge of different types of fruit, nuts and berries; their cultivation and harvest
- Understand the range of herbs and their cultivation and uses
- Determine appropriate applications for a range of alternative growing methods
Lesson Structure: Horticulture II BHT102
There are 10 lessons:
1 Introduction - The Groups of Plants
- Plant Names
- Botanical Keys
- Principle of Priority
- Colour Charts
- Plant Breeders Rights
- Plant Classification
- The Lower Plants
- Amenity Horticulture
- Classification According to the Way Plants Dispose of Excess Leaves
- Classification of Plants According to the Type of Leaf
2 Use of Plants
- Plants in the Landscape
- Choosing Your Plants
- Planting Techniques
- Plant Selection
- Soil Restrictions on Plant Selection
3 Indigenous (Native) and Naturalised Plants
- What Conditions Does a Particular Plant Species Need?
- What Plants Should be Used to Create a Particular Garden Style?
- Native Plants
- What are Idigenous Plants?
- What are Naturalised Plants?
- Some Native Trees for Planting
- Tree Report Example
- Quick Reference Plant Directory
4 Ornamental Plants
- Rhododendrons and Azaleas
- Trees in the Landscape
- Guide to Shrubs in the Landscape
- Shrubs for the Garden
- Environmental Influences on Plant Selection
- Shrubs Which Withstand Wet Soils
- Shrubs Which Withstand Very Wet Soils
- Shrubs Which Grow in Shaded Areas
- Shrubs Suited to Coastal Areas
- Shrubs Suited to Cold Areas (Resisting frost and cold winters)
- Shrubs suited to Warm Climates
- List of Ornamental Plants
5 Indoor and Tropical Plants
- Indoor Plants
- Landscaping With Ferns
- Recommended Ferns
6 Bedding Plants
- Cut Flowers
- What Can Be Grown?
- Where to Get Helpful Information
- Crop Rotation
- Varieties and Seed
8 Fruits, Berries and Nuts
- Berry Fruit
- Insect Controls and Companion Plants
- Herb Teas
- Herb Cultivation
- Harvesting Herbs
- Poisonous Plants
- Making Pot Pourri
- Quick Reference Herb Chart
- The Mints
- Propagating Herbs
- Landscape Design With Herbs
10 Alternative Growing Techniques
- Comparing Materials
- When You Go Away
- Preventing Moss and Algae in Pots
- Potting up Plants
- Potting Mixes
- Greenhouses and Shade Houses
- Other Growing Techniques
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?|
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||Completion of Horticulture I would be helpful - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final exam.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||100 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....