Nursery Hands Course 100 Hours Certificate Course
Ask a question
Nursery Hands Course 100 Hours Certificate Course
Nursery Hands course online.
Lesson Structure: Nursery Hands Course VHT102
There are 11 lessons:
- Introduction to the Nursery Industry
- production systems, transport regulations, PVR
- Plant Identification and Taxonomy
- systematic botany, plant families, leaf and flower parts
- Nursery Structures and Buildings
- greenhouse management, structures for nurseries
- Potting Mixes
- U.C. soil mixes, understanding soils, growing media
- Seed Propagation
- quality, sources, storage, germination treatments
- Cutting Propagation
- stock plants, hormones
- Other Propagation Techniques
- tissue culture, division, separation, layering, grafting
- Plant Nutrition in the Nursery
- nutrition management,
- Pests and Diseases Control
- Other Nursery Tasks
- nursery irrigation, modifying plant growth
- Marketing and Sales
- sales methods
"The course was a valuable learning experience, giving me a good insight into the Nursery Industry and Propagation. The course was clear and concise, and set out the aims of the unit at the start." Karen, UK
Learning Goals: Nursery Hands Course VHT102
- Understand plant propagation techniques and efficiency and quality control measures for the nursery.
- Understand means of identifying and naming plants through International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- Describe pros and cons of different nursery structures and understand effective management techniques.
- Describe different types of potting mix, their uses and pros and cons.
- Discuss different sources, maintenance of genetic identity, hybridisation techniques, storage and germination; of seeds.
- Understand different means of propagating cuttings.
- Understand alternative methods of propagation and their appropriate uses.
- Discuss the importance of major and minor elements to plant health and the effect of their deficiencies upon plant nutrition.
- Understand the effects of pests and diseases on the livelihood of the nursery and the importance of good hygiene standards in their control.
- Understand different methods of controlling plant growth.
- Collect, dissect and observe flowers and leaves from six different plant species belonging to two plant families.
- Speak to some of the nurserypeople you have contacted throughout the course to date.
- Find out what you can about their preferences for different types of greenhouses and different shade houses.
- Prepare two different types of propagating media; a soil-less potting media for general use in container growing of plants and a general potting mix containing some soil.
- Contact and collect catalogues from at least six different seed suppliers.
- Collect seed from at least three different plants growing in gardens or bushland and sow this seed.
- Contact (by phone) at least six different nurseries to research seed sourcing.
- Prepare a pot of cuttings and estimate the cost of production for each cutting produced.
- Obtain some pieces of wood and practice preparation of grafts and buds. Prepare three other grafts on a living plant.
- Visit or contact a nursery or stock agent who supplies fertilisers.
- Research the various types of fertilisers available and their appropriate applications.
- Obtain a soil-less growing medium (such as vermiculite, perlite, sand and so on or a mixture), which has had no fertilizers added to it at all.Fill 4 pots with this medium and plant 4 seedling plants into the pot.
- Obtain some different types of fertilizers and feed three of the pots, each with a different fertilizer...do not feed the fourth pot at all.Grow for 2?3 weeks and then observe the differences in growth between each pot.
- Identify as many pest or disease problems as you are able to for a given set of plants.
- Contact three irrigation companies to find out what types of irrigation equipment are available for nursery irrigation.
- Try to get a comparison on prices between the cheaper systems and the more expensive systems which are available.
- Visit two different nurseries to research the techniques which are used in modifying plant growth.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK