Ask a question
Perennials 100 Hours Course
Perennials course online. Perennials are a diverse group of plants providing the gardener with a wide range of plant material suited to an equally wide range of climate and soil conditions. Whilst trees and shrubs provide the backbone of the garden, perennials, with such diversity of structure, flowers and leaf shapes, fill in the spaces to provide (if chosen carefully) year round colour and interest.
Perennials cover a wide range of plants including both ornamental and useful plants. There are perennial plants for all situations.
- Learn to Identify and Grow over 100 different Perennials
- Persue a passion, grow your plant knowledge, work with perennials
- A course for the amateur enthusiast, or the professional nurseryman, landscaper, gardener or plantsman
Learning Goals: Perennials BHT316
- Describe the identification of Perennial Plants
- Determine sources of further information for identifying and growing different varieties of perennials.
- Discuss a variety of cultural techniques used to improve success in growing of different perennial plants
- Determine the propagation of different perennial plants.
- Discuss the horticulture of a range of commonly grown perennial genera.
- Discuss the management of pests and diseases occurring on a range of perennial plants.
- Manage irrigation and drainage to ensure optimum water levels are maintained for healthy growth in perennials.
- Determine appropriate use of perennials in a range of horticultural situations.
- Describe a variety of uses for perennials.
Lesson Structure: Perennials BHT316
There are 8 lessons:
- Review of the system of plant identification
- Information sources
- Pruning, etc.
3 Propagation and Hybridization
- Pricking out seedlings
- Factors affecting cutting strike
- Propagating media
- Types of cuttings
- Hardening off young plants
- Potting mixes
- Potting up
4 Review of Major Types of Perennials
- Herbaceous perennials
- Establishing herbaceous plants
- Popular bulbs, corms and tubers
- Supporting herbaceous plants
- Herbs in a perennial border
- Wildflower meadows
- Maintaining herbaceous borders
- Perennials for different purposes/uses
- Scented Geraniums
- Ornamental; grasses
5 Pests and Disease Plant pathology
- Parasitic and non parasitic problems
- Conducting an inspection and identifying problems
- Tell tale symptoms
- Common terminology
- Common pests on perennials and their management
6 Irrigation and Hydroponic Culture Techniques
- Significance of water
- Infiltration and water retention
- Water needs for perennials
- Watering methods
- When to water
- Testing water needs
- Reducing water needs
- Watering perennials in pots
- Drip irrigation
- Hydroponics Introduction
- Types of hydroponic systems
7 Landscaping with Perennials
- Designing the garden
- Landscape principles and components
- Landscape effects
- Design styles
- Flower bed design
- Colour themes
- Cottage gardens
- What perennials to grow in cottage gardens
- Scented plants
- Landscaping with bulbs
8 Further Uses for Perennials
- Cut Flowers
- What flowers the longest
- Harvest and storage
- Growing Carnations
- Herb crafts
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 1||Your fee includes your course materials, plus mentor support throughout. You will be required to undertake further research (set tasks) to cement your learning and then to submit written assignments. These will be marked and graded by your mentor and then sent back with helpful and constructive comments. On completion you will receive a Certificate of Attainment issued by ADL.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)|
|Interest and Hobby Course Details - Option 2||Your fee includes your learning materials, plus mentor support when you need it. Completion of further research (set tasks) is optional, but advisable to cement your learning. There are no written assignments to submit and no certificate is issued. You can change to option 1 at any time by paying the £100 difference.|
|Comparative Credits Information|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities|
|Designing Your Own Qualification|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?|
Perennials 100 Hours Course
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....