Hi, I am based in Ireland, can I apply for this course ? Many Thanks Paul
Thank you for your question.
Our courses are open to everyone in the world and we have learners who speak English, from every continent both past and present. The design and delivery of our courses take this into consideration. The first part of each lesson covers important universal information about the subject that everyone needs to know. The second part of each lesson involves a set task or set tasks, targeted to a learner's own country when necessary. For example, he or she may be asked to list suitable plants for their own climate conditions.
I hope that this helps.
Ask a question
Plant Selection And Establishment 100 Hours Certificate Course
To be a successful Landscaper you'll need a good understanding of plant knowledge. Choosing inappropriate and unpredictable plants, can result in your garden growing into something that was unforseen by the landscaper (and that really defeats the whole reason for landscaping!)
This course is an excellent choice and provides a solid foundation for landscapers and students of landscaping. Learning about plants is in reality, a lifelong journey of discovery; the journey becomes more productive; if you have a proper and fundamental understanding of "plant selection and use".
Learning Goals: Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
- Develop knowledge of the range of applications for and selection and establishment of horticultural plants.
- Develop knowledge in the establishment and maintenance of a range of woody plants, with different modes of growth, for different situations
- Develop knowledge in selection, establishment, and maintenance of species suitable for hedges windbreaks and screens.
- Describe the cultivation of alpine and water plants.
- Describe the selection, cultivation, and maintenance of herbaceous plants.
- Explain the selection, establishment and maintenance of turf and lawns.
- Explain the maintenance and cultural requirements of herbaceous, woody, and other plants.
- Consider the different pest and disease control implications resulting from the choice of different plant varieties.
- Determine pest and disease control requirements for a new garden.
- Explain the control of weeds in a garden.
- Explain the implications upon weed management that result from selection of particular plants for use in a garden.
- Manage establishment and maintenance of plants in a way that minimizes safety risks to people working in or visiting a garden.
Lesson Structure: Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
There are 10 lessons:
- What to plant where
- Plant selection
- Plant varieties
- Colourful year round foliage
- Establishment (timing, soil preparation, plant size, planting technique)
- Maintenance programs, etc
2 Woody plants
- Selecting Woody Plants
- Deciduous/Semi Deciduous/Evergreen
- Flowering Shrubs
- Establishing Woody Plants
- Planting Procedure
- Dealing with Shade, etc
3 Windbreaks, hedges and screens
- Plant Selection
- Establishing Windbreaks & Screens
- Trimming a Hedge, etc
4 Alpine and water plants
- Selecting & Establishing Alpines
- Selecting Water Plants
- Establishment & Maintenance of Water Plants
5 Annual and herbaceous plants
- Selecting annuals
- Types of Annuals (by Height, Flower, Edge Plants, Dot Plants, Groundwork Plants)
- Types of Bedding Schemes
- Planting Seed or Seedlings
- Container Culture
- Selection & Establishment of Herbaceous Plants (Bulbs & Perennials)
- Maximizing Flowering Effect, etc
- Lawn Mixes
- What to Grow Where
- Wildflower Meadows
- Turf Establishment
- Soil Preparation
- Fertilising, etc
- Managing pH
- Replacing Plants
- Developing a Maintenance Program
8 Pest and disease control
- Problem Prevention
- Non Chemical Control
- Chemical Control
9 Weed control
- Non Chemical Control
- Chemical Control
- Alternative Strategies
10 Risk assessment
- Identifying Risk
- Duty of Care
- Workplace Safety
- Protective Clothing
- Safety with Tools
- Significance of Illness, etc
- This course involves far more than just reading and answering questions. Here are just some examples of other things which you might be doing:
- Visiting different gardens, nurseries and/or parks. These could include home gardens, parks, commercial or any other type of site. The choice is yours.
- If for some reason (eg. Disability or isolation) you are unable to physically visit gardens or other places, you may undertake a "virtual visit" using the internet; and liaise via email.
- Survey or interview industry people.
- Analyse and devise maintenance plants for different areas.
- Research the cause of an incident.
- Prepare a weed collection of either pressings, photographs or illustrations.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
Plant Selection And Establishment 100 Hours Certificate Course
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....