Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
RHS Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance (Theory)
Learn About RHS Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance
The RHS Level 2, Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment & Maintenance (Theory) qualification is an excellent choice for starting your career in horticulture. This Level 2 course is comprised of the following 4 units:
- Unit 1 – Garden Features, Plant Selection and Planning
- Unit 2 – Choice, Establishment & Maintenance of Garden Plants & Lawns
- Unit 3 – Production of Outdoor Vegetables and Fruit
- Unit 4 – Protected Environments and their use in Plant Cultivation Past exam papers are available FREE from our online classroom.
I have passed all three RHS theory exams. Thank you for all the education material, and particularly for helping me find an internship in France by helping me with some needed French admin last year (‘Convention de Stage’). The experience you helped me attain was what enabled me to apply for the traineeship I’m currently enjoying at Osborne House via the Historic and Botanic Garden Traineeship Programme. Thank you! This is what I did in France thanks to your help and this is what I’m up to now. Tom W – RHS Levels 2 Theory – UK
Duration: 159 hours – The Total Qualification Time (TQT)
UNIT 1 – GARDEN FEATURES, PLANT SELECTION AND PLANNING:
- Carry Out and Record a Garden Survey.
- Carry out a Site Appraisal and Record Essential Data.
- Understand Basic Garden Planning Principles and the Elements that Contribute to a Good Design.
- Understand the Characteristics of Accepted Garden Design Styles.
- Understand the Effective and Appropriate use of Hard Landscaping Materials.
- Understand the Effective use of Soft Landscaping Elements.
UNIT 2 – CHOICE ESTABLISHMENT & MAINTENANCE OF GARDEN PLANTS & LAWNS
- Understand the choice of plants for seasonal display and their establishment and maintenance.
- Understand the Choice of Herbaceous Perennial Plants and ‘bulbs’ for Display, and how to grow them.
- Understand the choice of Woody Plants for Display and their Establishment and Maintenance.
- Understand the Choice of Alpine and Rock Garden Plants and How to Grow Them.
- Understand the Planting and Maintenance of a Garden Pool
- Understand the Establishment and Maintenance of Lawns
UNIT 3 – UNDERSTANDING THE PRODUCTION OF OUTDOOR VEGETABLES & FRUIT:
- Importance of site selection for Outdoor Food Production in a Garden or Allotment.
- Cultural operations used to produce outdoor food crops in a garden or allotment.
- The principles of Vegetable Crop Production.
- The Production of Top and Soft Fruit for a Garden or Allotment.
Unit 4 – UNDERSTANDING PROTECTED ENVIRONMENTS & THEIR USE IN PLANT CULTIVATION:
- A Range of types of Protected Structure, and their use in Growing Plants.
- The Environment provided by a range of Protected Structures.
- Structural and Cladding Materials used for a range of Protected Structures.
- The Control of the Environment in Protected Structures.
- Types of Container and Growing Media Used for Production and Display in Protected Structures.
- Horticultural uses of the Protected Environment.
- Care of Plants in an Interior Situation.