Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Weight Loss Consultant
Weight Loss Consultant 100 Hours Certificate Course
PayPal Pay Later
Pay in 3 interest-free payments
Choose PayPal at checkout to pay later with Pay in 3.
Complete your purchase with the first payment today.
Remaining payments are taken automatically.
Pay in 3 is a form of credit, so carefully consider whether the purchase is affordable and how you will make the repayments. Be aware of the possible impact of using Pay in 3 and of missing payments, including making other borrowing more difficult or more expensive. Pay in 3 eligibility is subject to status and approval. 18+ UK residents only. Available for purchases of £30 to £2,000. Terms and conditions apply. PayPal Pay in 3 is a trading name of PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg.
Learn About Weight Loss Consultant
Weight Loss Consultant Online Course
Distance Learning Education Course for Weight Loss Consulting available as an online course through ADL
The prevalence of obesity is increasing in all age groups and virtually all populations worldwide.
With this rise in obesity rates has come a wide range of opportunities to develop weight loss services to help clients to lose weight and increase their fitness levels. Throughout this course we shall examine how to set up effective weight loss services and provide you with the knowledge and skills to support these services.
“Iona Lister was my tutor and gave me excellent, helpful and thoughtful feedback- because of this I really enjoyed the course and would do another with ADL in the future.” John, Weight Loss Consultant, UK.
Lesson Structure: Weight Loss Consultant BRE307
There are 8 lessons in this course:
- Scope and Nature of Weight Loss
- Obesity DefinedGenetics
- Life Events
- Middle Age
- Stopping Smoking
- Weight gain linked to Medication
- Weight gain following Injury or Illness
- Scope and Nature of Weight Loss Industry
- Health Programs
- Meal Replacement Products
- Surgery for Weight Loss
- Managing Physical Activity
- Role of Physical Activity in Energy Balance
- Role of Physical Activity Raising Metabolic Rate
- Bone Mass Maintenance
- Physical Activity and Mental Health
- Specific Aspects of Exercise When Overweight
- Tips to get started with Exercise
- Types of Exercise and Effectiveness for Weight Loss
- Cardiovascular Activity
- Optimum Target Heart Rate for Fat Burning
- Resistance Activities
- Exercise Progression
- Recommending Exercise
- Managing the Diet
- Teaching Portion Control
- Beginning to Address Portion Control
- Energy Density
- Fats and Energy Density
- Sources of Fats
- Tips to Reduce Fat
- Practical Tips Based on Daily Meal Plan
- Sugar and Weight Reducing
- General Weight Loss Tips
- Using Food Diaries
- Nutrition Resources and Lesson Planning
- Managing the Psychology
- Eating and Emotions
- The Brain and Weight Management
- Managing the Psychology
- Helping People to Make Changes
- Stages of Change Explained -Pre contemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, Maintenance, Relapse
- Tools for the Consultant
- Determining Weight Status of Clients
- Administering Weight Checks
- Calculating BMI
- Interpreting BMI
- Setting Targets
- Determining Waiste Measurement
- Health Evaluation
- Nutritional Advice
- Running Supermarket Tours
- Food Labels
- Delivering Weight Loss Services
- Individual Consultations
- Features of an Ideal One to One Consultation
- Good Questioning Skills
- Running Group Sessions
- Running Independant Weight Management Group Sessions
- Joining an Established Weight Management Business
- Potential Barriers to Weight Loss
- Social Issues and Pressure
- Time Constraints
- Physical Limitations
- Psychological Limitations
- Hormonal Issues
- Conducting a Weight Loss Consultation
- The Next Step
- Target Marketing
- PBL Project: A major project where you:
- Explain the basics of obesity, explain fully the causes, symptoms, and associated health risks.
- Identify a target market that will benefit from your services.
- Develop a marketing strategy to attract clients from your target market
- Identify the nutritional, physical exercise, and psychological contributions to obesity.
- Identify and convey the importance of addressing all of the above elements in a successful weight loss programme.
- Present clear, concise and readily understandable guidelines that address appropriate interventions for the clients to take home and follow
- Develop appropriate assessment tools and strategies to identify and monitor your clients needs.
- Discuss the challenges for your client to adhere to the programme, and outline strategies to support them.
- Compare and contrast the dietary, exercise and psychological strategies you have decided to use, with other weight loss strategies you have decided not to use (e.g. surgery, meal replacement drinks, medication)
- Represent complex health information in a clear, simple format, readily understandable by the individual assuming they have little or no nutritional background
- Establishing a Weight Loss Business
- Starting a New Business
- Personality and Lifestyle
- Industry Knowledge and Experience
- Starting a Business versus Buying a Franchise
- Business Plans
- The Planning Process
- The Marketing PlanPromotion, Advertising, Networking
- Summary of a Successful Business
Learning Goals: Weight Loss Consultant BRE307
- Explain factors that affect weight in a body.
- Determine the scope and nature of the weight loss industry in your region.
- Explain the role of physical activity in weight loss and provide practical advice and resources for you to use as a weight loss consultant.
- Explain the role of dietary change in weight loss and provide practical advice and resources for you to use as a weight loss consultant.
- Explain a variety of ways that psychology can be applied to the control of weight.
- Determine weight status of clients
- Select and implement and manage the use of different techniques to control weight in clients
- Identify a viable weight loss service, and those things that must be done to optimize the chance of ongoing success.
- Adapt dietary resources based on needs of an individual or a particular group.
- Planning to start a weight management group
- Develop a weight management service as a business
Note that each module in this Certificate is a certificate in its own right, and may be studied separately.
Practical (Set Tasks)
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here is a list of the most often asked FAQ’s.
Q. Why should I enrol with the Academy for Distance Learning?
A. Here at ADL, our students are our priority – we treat everyone as a unique individual.
Q. Do I need to buy text books?
A. No, as each module has been written by highly qualified industry professionals. The content of the material is presented in such a way that text books are not required. However, if you require additional reading your tutor will be able to supply a list.
Q. What happens if I have to stop studying for a while? (eg. become sick, go on holidays, have a baby, move house, etc)
A. It’s OK to take a break and start up your study at a later point in time. Just let us know.
Q. Is there an age limit?
A. There is no maximum age limit. We do however, have a minimum age limit of 18 years. Below that age parental consent would be required.
Q. Are your courses up-to date?
A. Our courses are revised and updated on a rotation system.
Q. Do you have a Cancellation policy?
A. Yes. We have a cancellation policy that is fair and equitable. For further details please click here.
Q. Will I have any opportunity to engage with other students?
A. We have a Student Community group based on facebook! If you don’t have a facebook account already, you could make one just for talking with fellow students on the group.
Q. When can I enrol/start?
A. You may enrol and start at any time of the year – it’s all self- paced.
Q. Can I study from anywhere in the world?
A. Our courses are available to anyone, anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own home. The course content is relevant to any country, culture or economy.
Q. How long do I have to complete the course?
A. You complete the course at any time that is convenient for you.
Q. Completing a 100 hour module – how long will it take?
A. For some students a 100 hour module will take approximately to 3- 6 months to complete. Others take less time and some even longer.
Q. Assessment – how does it work?
A. For each 100 hour module you are assessed by assignments (at the end of each lesson) and a final one and a half hour exam (or you may elect to complete a Project, instead of sitting the exam) – the choice is yours – you sit for the exam in your own location.
Q. I don’t cope well with exams – what can I do?
A. You may elect to undertake a Project (set by your tutor) instead of sitting the exam. Projects are completed from your home and can usually take a couple of weeks to complete.
Q. If my assignment is not up to standard is there an opportunity to resubmit my work?
A. Yes –
Q. How many assignments do I need to complete for each module?
A. At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment – so if a course has say, 10 lessons, there would be 10 assignments.
Q. I am having difficulty attending workshops/industry meetings, what can be done?
A. If your course requires attendance at workshops, conferences, or industry meetings; alternative arrangements can be made in your country.
Q. What qualification will I receive?
A. For individual modules, you would be awarded a Certificate endorsed by TQUK (Training Qualifications, UK), providing you complete all assignments and the exam. If you just want to complete only the assignments and not sit for the exam or finish a Project, then a Letter of Achievement would be awarded. For more details on qualifications available please click here.
Q. Can I customize my diploma/higher qualification?
A. Not all educational institution’s certificates /diplomas meet everyone’s needs. The opportunity to Design Your Own Diploma at the Academy (subject to our approval) is an added bonus, not found at other colleges. You choose modules that you think will help you in achieving your goal.
Q. What do I get when I complete the course? Will I receive a transcript?
A. At the completion of all courses and providing all assignments and exam requirements have been met, you will receive your Award and a Transcript.
Q. Our tutors – who are they?
A. We appoint Tutors and require that they must be currently active in their industry, with at least 5 years’ experience in their chosen profession.
Q. Can I contact my tutor at any time?
A. Yes – you have unlimited access to your tutor via email through our Online Classroom. You can always leave a message with ADL requesting your tutor to contact you. You decide on how much or how little contact you wish to have.
Q. Practical work – How is this done?
A. To find out more about this part of the course please visit the section on How Our Courses Work here.
What your tuition fees include
There are no hidden extras
FAQ - RHS Theory Qualifications
If you require further details about any of the RHS industry recognised qualifications please, call one of our friendly RHS Course Advisors on +44 (0)1227 789 649 or email: [email protected]
Q: When can I Enrol/Start My RHS Course With ADL?
A: Anytime, Anywhere. There are no enrolment deadlines.
Q: I live Overseas. Can I Study From Overseas?
A: You can study any of the RHS theory qualifications overseas. All courses are offered in English. You will need to email RHS Qualifications direct to arrange sitting for your examination overseas.
Q: Is There a Time Limit for Completing an RHS Qualification?
A: At present there are no time limits. However, RHS is contemplating in the future, the introduction of course time-lines.
Q: Are There Any Entry Requirements (Pre-Requisites)?
A: The RHS Theory courses do not require prerequisites, previous experience or any knowledge of horticulture. You just need passion for all things horticulture.
Q: What Course Should I Start With First? I Am New To RHS Qualifications.
A: We highly recommend that you start with Level 2 – Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
Q: What Does ADL Course Material Include?
A: Includes Power Point Presentations, Videos and written course lessons.
Q: When Do Exams Take Place?
A: Exams are held on fixed dates in February and June of each year. You should register as a candidate at least 3 months before these dates, so please do not leave exam registration to the last minute
Q: Where Do I Take My Exams?
A: UK: You take the exams at the RHS Wisley Centre, located between Cobham and Ripley in Surrey or at other authorised RHS centres around the UK.
Overseas: please email RHS qualifications direct for centre information.
Q: Exam Pass Marks?
A: Module – pass 50%. Commendation 70%.
Qualification: 50% pass for all modules.
Commendation awarded for all modules.
Each question carries a value of 10 marks.
Q: I’m Not Happy With My Exam Results?
A: You have the opportunity to re-sit your exam at the next opportunity.
There are no restrictions on the number of re-sits you can take. The highest mark you achieve will remain.,