Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Health and Well-Being
Health and Well-Being Level 3 100 Hours Certificate Course
Learn About Health and Well-Being
Health & Well-Being course online. A wide-ranging Home Study course to broaden your health and well-being knowledge! This comprehensive foundation course develops an understanding of the nature and scope of human health and well-being, and of the health and fitness industry looking at subjects such as nutrition, lifestyle, preventative health, and alternative medicine.
Health and Wellness Coaches help their clients to integrate all of these into their lives, so that both their mental and physical health is better.
As a Health and Well-being Consultant, you will be able to use the skills you will acquire in this course to encourage your clients to make positive lifestyle changes to increase their general feeling of being well and support them until they reach their health goals. By helping your client to visualise their health and well-being targets, you will help them to change their psychological mindset empowering them to meet them.
As you see your clients gain more confidence in their ability to make the necessary changes to achieve their health and well-being goals, you will feel that you are providing a valuable service in helping them to do so.
In this Level 3 accredited course written by industry professionals and regularly updated to remain relevant, you will gain an industry overview, how modern life affects people's lifestyle, good nutrition and healthy eating, how to help people to manage stress, preventing health issues occurring, alternative medicine and basic first-aid techniques.
This course is accredited by ACCPH and allows you to join as a professional member after completion. Membership allows you to add the letters MACCPH after your name (post-nominals).
Lesson Structure: Health & Well-Being VRE102
There are 8 lessons:
1 Industry Overview
- Scope of the health and fitness industries
- Defining fitness
- Resources and networking
- Aerobic fitness
2 Modern Lifestyle Problems
- Health risks and physical activity
- Hazardous substances
- Food allergies
- Health care strategy for an aging population
- Wellbeing of special demographic groups: pregnant women, children, obese people, people with disabilities etc
3 Human Nutrition
- Nutrition basics
- Carbohydrates, proteins, fats
- Dietary fibre, vitamins, mineralsBalanced diet
- The food pyramid
- Principles of weight loss
- Dietary protein intake and physical activity
- Food combining
4 Healthy Eating
- Nutrition and diet problems
- Nutritive value with cooking and processing
- Plant foods
- Processing food
- Canning and pasteurisation
- Freezing, drying, etc
5 Stress Management
- Body changes caused by stress
- Muscle response
- Gastrointestinal response
- Cardiovascular response
- Stress management program
- Easy living
- Stress cures
- Drugs and alcohol
6 Preventative Health
- Responsibility for your own health
- Self esteem
- Managing your own career
- Decision making
- Emotional security
- Problem solving
- Personal style inventory
- Motivations and barriers for exercise
7 Alternative Medicine
- Herbal medicines
- Complimentary therapies
- Pain points; trigger points
- Counselling and psychological therapies
- Relaxation therapies
- Other therapies
8 Basic First Aid
- Soft tissue injuriesWounds
- Shock and fainting
- Strains, sprains and dislocations
- Heat and cold
- Eye injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Health promotion at work
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the academy and marked by your tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Learning Goals: Health & Well-Being VRE102
- Describe the nature and scope of the Health and Fitness Industry
- Discuss a range of modern lifestyle problems
- Describe nutritional requirements for a well balanced diet
- Determine appropriate dietary requirements for different demographic groups.
- Describe stress management strategies for different people.
- Outline basic preventative strategies and how they can be implemented
- Evaluate the usefulness of alternative medical practices in treating and preventing illness.
- Recommend first aid practices appropriate to a range of problems.
Practical (Set Tasks)
- This course aims to develop an understanding of health and wellbeing that can be applied to design a personal fitness program. Below is a list of some activities and tasks that you will complete in this course:
- Create a resource file of health and fitness related businesses, contacts, services etc.
- Interview people to learn how they rate their health and fitness and what they do to improve/maintain them.
- Identify ways to overcome a health/fitness problem in your own life.
- Identify different food allergies and ways to deal with them.
- Identify eating and nutritional disorders and describe possible treatments.
- Explain how age, level of activity, gender and other factors affect their dietary needs.
- Explain the principle of food combining.
- List the effects of alcohol abuse.
- Explain how high self esteem is achieved, and consider positive and negative effects.
- Identify services in your area that offer natural therapies and what they entail.
- Find out what first aid courses are available in your region, and what is entailed.
- List items that should be kept in a basic first aid kit.
- Describe the procedure for dealing with a broken bone.
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- ADL Ebook where relevant
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice