Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
RHS Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation & Development
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development (Theory)
Learn About RHS Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation & Development
This online distance learning RHS Theory Certificate course, will expand your horticultural knowledge and equip you to progress after completion to a Level 3 Theory Certificate. This Level 2 theory course is comprised of 4 units:
- Unit 1 – Plant Classification, Structure & Function
- Unit 2 – Plant Nutrition & the Root Environment
- Unit 3 – Maintaining Plant Health
- Unit 4 – Understanding Plant Propagation
To graduate with this qualification completion of the above 4 unit exams are required.
What our Students Say!
” Dear Amanda – This course has enabled me to consolidate my knowledge of certain aspects of Horticulture. Which has led to me teaching students at Pershore High School, RHS Introductory Level 1 and Level 1 in Horticulture.
This opportunity has led to exciting opportunities within the Horticulture Industry for both students and myself. Which has involved us working with Peter Seabrook MBE with a display at the 2018 RHS Chelsea Flower Show where we won Silver Gilt, we find ourselves involved in RHS Chelsea again this year but in a different context but also Gardeners World Live at the NEC Birmingham.
This course met and exceeded my expectations and pushed me to learn new terms and knowledge. I just wish I had thought of doing this earlier in my life and not wait till now.
Having feedback from the tutor after each assignment was so useful and helped to calm the nerves when I thought ‘I can’t do this’.
It was actually quite exciting waiting for marked work and grade to be sent back to me. The assignments were marked usually within 48 hours of been sent in, which I was impressed with. It was also nice to know that if I had any questions/queries over the content of the unit, my tutor would respond very quickly to my emails.
Excellent service and always dealt with quickly and with humour, which I loved. I would just like to thank the tutors and staff of ADL for making what was a new experience for me of adult study an enjoyable experience”. Anne W – RHS Level 2, Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development – UK “
I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation.” I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture.
Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Certirficate II, Ireland.
Exams are held in February and June of each year.
Duration: The Total Qualification Time (TQT) given for the course is 159 hours.
Unit 1 – PLANT CLASSIFICATION, STRUCTURE AND FUNCTIONS:
- Know the characteristics and the naming of the main groups of plants and their life cycles.
- Know the structure and function of plant cells, tissues and vegetative organs.
- Understand the structure and function of flowers, fruits and seeds.
- Understand the importance of photosynthesis, respiration, the movement of water and minerals through the plant.
Unit 2 – PLANT NUTRITION AND THE ROOT ENVIRONMENT:
- Understand the physical and chemical properties of soils.
- Know the importance of organic matter in the root environment.
- Understand plant nutrition provided by soil and other growing media.
- Understand the uses of growing media.
Unit 3 – MAINTAINING PLANT HEALTH:
- Understand the importance of using safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable practices for the maintenance of plant health.
- Understand the problems posed by weeds in horticulture and how these problems can be minimised.
- Understand the problems posed by pests and methods by which these can be minimised.
- Understand the problems posed by diseases in horticulture and methods by which they can be minimised.
- Understand the problems caused by plant disorders and methods by which they can be minimised.
Unit 4 – UNDERSTANDING PLANT PROPAGATION:
- Understand the role of seeds in plant propagation
- Understand methods of propagation from seeds and spores.
- Describe the role of Vegetative Reproduction in Plant Propagation.
- Understand methods of vegetative propagation.