Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management
Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management 600 Hours Diploma
Learn About Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management
Management Garden Centre and Nursery Online Course
Through online courses, you can learn the skills necessary to manage a retail garden centre or nursery with ADL
This course develops both skills required to manage a retail business and knowledge in identification, care and handling of plants and other products sold in garden centres and nurseries. It is aimed at those with one year’s experience in a horticultural related industry, wanting to step up to assistant manager, deputy manager and manager positions.
Among other attributes, mostpositions for garden centre and nursery assistant managers and managers will ask for the following:
- 1 to 2 years horticultural experience
- Supervisory experience and/or a qualification in a horticultural subject
- Good plant knowledge
- Excellent people skills and the ability to motivate others
- Accomplished communication and customer service expertise
- The ability to display and merchandise products
- Competence to create a safe working environment for staff andto ensure they adhere to health and safety laws
Applications for managerial positions in garden centres and nurseries are likely to be very competitive. Many job applicants will have many of the required attributes, so how can an employer differentiate between one interviewee and another? Theanswer is that they will test the depth of each applicant’s knowledge and transferable skills against what they need. Bycompleting this Diploma in Applied Management for Garden Centres and Nurseries, developed and improved over 25+ years, you can standhead and shoulders above the competition. Not only will you be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of garden centre or nursery management or both, you will also be showing a potential employer that you have taken control of your own professional development, to achieve your career goals.
There are two core (compulsory) modules in this online course, studied via distance learning, followed by a choice between Garden Centre Management and Wholesale Nursery. Finally, there are three elective modules, chosen tobest suit your educational needs and requirements. For those who would like to study both Garden Centre Management and Wholesale Nursery Management, you can also choose the one not taken as your selective option as an elective module.
Lesson Structure: Diploma In Applied Management (Garden Centre and Nursery) VBS001
Core Modules: Both modules to be completed
1Business Operations Management I BHT326
- Your ability to manage a business can make a huge difference to your success in horticulture. In this course, you will learn to the business side of horticulture, including how to plan and implement effective strategies for your business and/or services. This is a module in the Royal Horticultural Societys Master of Horticulture.More….
- Apply horticultural basics to all situations. Gain a broad technical grounding in horticultural principles and practice. The ideal course for the beginner, this is a basic, yet thoroughly practical course. Each lesson involves plant identification. This module has been written to teach horticulture in a way relevant to all parts of the world. It puts aside regional techniques, and tries to teach you principles and concepts which can be applied to anywhere. More….
Selective Modules: Choose either option 1 or option 2
1Garden Centre and Retail Nursery Management BHT213
- Achieve excellence in your garden centre! Designed in 1986, in conjunction with the state garden department manager of a major retail chain store; this course has been very successful in training both staff and managers of retail nurseries and garden centres. It was thoroughly updated recently by horticultural professionals in both Australia and the U.K. to be relevant to countries around the world. More….
1Wholesale Nursery Management BHT212
- Learn to produce great plants in a commercially successful way. Managing a production nursery involves more than just propagating and potting up plants. Even the small nursery must be able to not only produce plants, but do it at a predetermined cost, then sustain those plants before and during marketing. More….
Elective Modules: Three to be completed
- Learn to communicate successfully! This course improves your ability to communicate in all situations. You learn to write and speak more fluently. Behaviour, visual communications, language, public speaking, conducting meetings, writing letters and reports, communications technology, and lots more are covered. More….
2Garden Centre and Retail Nursery Management BHT213
- Achieve excellence in your garden centre! Designed in 1986, in conjunction with the state garden department manager of a major retail chain store; this course has been very successful in training both staff and managers of retail nurseries and garden centres. It was thoroughly updated recently by horticultural professionals in both Australia and the U.K. to be relevant to countries around the world.More….
- Extend your horticultural knowledge! Learn to identify, care and use of plants in a systematic way. Plant knowledge learnt here is in high demand in the horticulture industry. It is something prized by employers, but all too often minimized in modern courses due to financial constraints. More….
4Horticulture III (Plant Health) BHT103
- Achieve high standards of plant health! Learn with this practical course to identify and control pest and diseases in plants, to maintain high standards of plant health, in your business or at home. Develop with this course a deep understanding of plant health, the systematic identification of health problems in plants and the techniques for control of those problems. More….
5Horticulture Business Operational Management II BHT327
- The ability to manage staff is pivotal in any enterprise (commercial or public); and in a society where law is becoming increasingly complex; the modern horticultural manager also needs to have a firm understanding of basic legal practice. This course focuses on building your capacity to manage staff and legal aspects within the horticultural enterprise. You’ll learn the to study the Legal, Contractual and Staff Management necessary for the successful running of a Horticultural Enterprise. More….
6Horticultural Marketing BHT304
- Understand marketing in the horticultural industry. In any business, including horticulture, success depends upon good marketing of your product. This subject covers the theoretical and practical importance of marketing in the horticultural industry, including topics such as advertising, promotions, signs, customer relations, pricing strategy, labeling, transport, product presentation, etc. More….
7Horticultural Resource Management BHT203
- Understand and manage a horticultural business or enterprise. Help your business thrive with this home study resource management course! Resource management for successful horticulture businesses. Planning for efficient and economical management in horticulture includes such things as work procedures and programming, budgeting and staff supervision. More….
8Hydroponic Supply & Consultancy – An Introduction
- This Hydroponic course is suitable for: hydroponic shop managers and staff and hydroponic equipment and materials manufacturers and suppliers. For garden centre and nursery managers, it represents an opportunity to gain knowledge in a growth industry, which could help drive sales up. More….
- Understand how psychology works in industry. By understanding the thought processes that take place in the minds of people at work, a manager or supervisor can develop empathy for their staff, and apply this empathy to the way they manage the workplace. Learn about: workplace conditions, effects of management, motivation and incentives, social effects, psychological conditions, recruitment etc. More….
- Develop and expand your leadership skills! Leadership skills are needed in all facets of our society: business, politics, religion, youth services, and leisure industries, to mention only some. This new course is relevant to all of those areas, developing your understanding of, and capacity to apply leadership skills. More….
- Online course for Managers. this course will help you develop the skills necessary to be a manager. Explore theories and procedures, problem solving and decision making tactics.Study staff management, organisation management, ethics etc. Developed by professionals with substantial industry experience, this is the perfect foundation for any successful career in private or public enterprise. More….
- Learn to understand what motivates and drives people in any area of life. A motivated person works better, lives a more satisfied lfe and are generally healthier and happier. The same applies to a Motivated employees who drive the success of a business. Learn how to get the best of employees by understanding more about this fascinating subject. More….
- This course will take you from developing a strong personality (confidence and knowledge) through to communication, marketing, dealing with upper management, getting to know your product, the A B C of selling, the opening and closing or a sale, stress management, how to increase your company’s profits, etc. More….
14Wholesale Nursery Management BHT212
- Learn to produce great plants in a commercially successful way. Managing a production nursery involves more than just propagating and potting up plants. Even the small nursery must be able to not only produce plants, but do it at a predetermined cost, then sustain those plants before and during marketing.More….
15Workplace Health & Safety VBS103 CLD
- Learning to recognise potentially dangerous situations can mean the avoidance of litigation, work disruption, and significant, unnecessary costs. Make sure that an accident that could have been avoided is not the reason your business fails. This course was developed by highly qualified professionals, who have years of experience in industry. More….
Please see lesson titles for your learning goals.
Practical (Set Tasks)
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here is a list of the most often asked FAQ’s.
Q. Why should I enrol with the Academy for Distance Learning?
A. Here at ADL, our students are our priority – we treat everyone as a unique individual.
Q. Do I need to buy text books?
A. No, as each module has been written by highly qualified industry professionals. The content of the material is presented in such a way that text books are not required. However, if you require additional reading your tutor will be able to supply a list.
Q. What happens if I have to stop studying for a while? (eg. become sick, go on holidays, have a baby, move house, etc)
A. It’s OK to take a break and start up your study at a later point in time. Just let us know.
Q. Is there an age limit?
A. There is no maximum age limit. We do however, have a minimum age limit of 18 years. Below that age parental consent would be required.
Q. Are your courses up-to date?
A. Our courses are revised and updated on a rotation system.
Q. Do you have a Cancellation policy?
A. Yes. We have a cancellation policy that is fair and equitable. For further details please click here.
Q. Will I have any opportunity to engage with other students?
A. We have a Student Community group based on facebook! If you don’t have a facebook account already, you could make one just for talking with fellow students on the group.
Q. When can I enrol/start?
A. You may enrol and start at any time of the year – it’s all self- paced.
Q. Can I study from anywhere in the world?
A. Our courses are available to anyone, anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own home. The course content is relevant to any country, culture or economy.
Q. How long do I have to complete the course?
A. You complete the course at any time that is convenient for you.
Q. Completing a 100 hour module – how long will it take?
A. For some students a 100 hour module will take approximately to 3- 6 months to complete. Others take less time and some even longer.
Q. Assessment – how does it work?
A. For each 100 hour module you are assessed by assignments (at the end of each lesson) and a final one and a half hour exam (or you may elect to complete a Project, instead of sitting the exam) – the choice is yours – you sit for the exam in your own location.
Q. I don’t cope well with exams – what can I do?
A. You may elect to undertake a Project (set by your tutor) instead of sitting the exam. Projects are completed from your home and can usually take a couple of weeks to complete.
Q. If my assignment is not up to standard is there an opportunity to resubmit my work?
A. Yes –
Q. How many assignments do I need to complete for each module?
A. At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment – so if a course has say, 10 lessons, there would be 10 assignments.
Q. I am having difficulty attending workshops/industry meetings, what can be done?
A. If your course requires attendance at workshops, conferences, or industry meetings; alternative arrangements can be made in your country.
Q. What qualification will I receive?
A. For individual modules, you would be awarded a Certificate endorsed by TQUK (Training Qualifications, UK), providing you complete all assignments and the exam. If you just want to complete only the assignments and not sit for the exam or finish a Project, then a Letter of Achievement would be awarded. For more details on qualifications available please click here.
Q. Can I customize my diploma/higher qualification?
A. Not all educational institution’s certificates /diplomas meet everyone’s needs. The opportunity to Design Your Own Diploma at the Academy (subject to our approval) is an added bonus, not found at other colleges. You choose modules that you think will help you in achieving your goal.
Q. What do I get when I complete the course? Will I receive a transcript?
A. At the completion of all courses and providing all assignments and exam requirements have been met, you will receive your Award and a Transcript.
Q. Our tutors – who are they?
A. We appoint Tutors and require that they must be currently active in their industry, with at least 5 years’ experience in their chosen profession.
Q. Can I contact my tutor at any time?
A. Yes – you have unlimited access to your tutor via email through our Online Classroom. You can always leave a message with ADL requesting your tutor to contact you. You decide on how much or how little contact you wish to have.
Q. Practical work – How is this done?
A. To find out more about this part of the course please visit the section on How Our Courses Work here.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice
There are no hidden extras
FAQ - RHS Theory Qualifications
If you require further details about any of the RHS industry recognised qualifications please, call one of our friendly RHS Course Advisors on +44 (0)1227 789 649 or email: [email protected]
Q: When can I Enrol/Start My RHS Course With ADL?
A: Anytime, Anywhere. There are no enrolment deadlines.
Q: I live Overseas. Can I Study From Overseas?
A: You can study any of the RHS theory qualifications overseas. All courses are offered in English. You will need to email RHS Qualifications direct to arrange sitting for your examination overseas.
Q: Is There a Time Limit for Completing an RHS Qualification?
A: At present there are no time limits. However, RHS is contemplating in the future, the introduction of course time-lines.
Q: Are There Any Entry Requirements (Pre-Requisites)?
A: The RHS Theory courses do not require prerequisites, previous experience or any knowledge of horticulture. You just need passion for all things horticulture.
Q: What Course Should I Start With First? I Am New To RHS Qualifications.
A: We highly recommend that you start with Level 2 – Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
Q: What Does ADL Course Material Include?
A: Includes Power Point Presentations, Videos and written course lessons.
Q: When Do Exams Take Place?
A: Exams are held on fixed dates in February and June of each year. You should register as a candidate at least 3 months before these dates, so please do not leave exam registration to the last minute
Q: Where Do I Take My Exams?
A: UK: You take the exams at the RHS Wisley Centre, located between Cobham and Ripley in Surrey or at other authorised RHS centres around the UK.
Overseas: please email RHS qualifications direct for centre information.
Q: Exam Pass Marks?
A: Module – pass 50%. Commendation 70%.
Qualification: 50% pass for all modules.
Commendation awarded for all modules.
Each question carries a value of 10 marks.
Q: I’m Not Happy With My Exam Results?
A: You have the opportunity to re-sit your exam at the next opportunity.
There are no restrictions on the number of re-sits you can take. The highest mark you achieve will remain.,