Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Australian Native Trees
Australian Native Trees 100 Hours Certificate Course
Learn About Australian Native Trees
Australian Native Trees course online. Gain knowledge about Australian native tree species. This course first teaches you about different types of Australian flora, plant identification, information sources, planting, feeding, soils, pests & diseases, watering, propagation and transplanting. The remaining lessons then deal with selected varieties of trees, windbreak planting, agroforestry, tree maintenance and tree selection.
Lesson Structure: Australian Native Trees VHT115
There are 8 lessons:
- Review of the system of plant identification
- Genus, Species
- Monocotyledons and Dicotyledons
- Characteristics of main Australian Plant Families
- General characteristics of native trees
- Information contacts (ie: nurseries, seed, clubs, etc.)
- History of nomenclature
- International Code
- Ranks of Taxa
- Principle of priority
- Selection and spelling of plant names
- Changing names
- Planting Procedure
- Planting on slopes
- Time of planting
- Pruning native trees
- Steps in removing a branch from a tree
- Soils (Physical, chemical, biological structure)
- Soil profile
- Improving soil profile
- Water and air
- Soil temperature
- Soil life
- Soil Problems (Loss of soil fertility, Erosion, Salinity, Soil compaction, Soil acidification, Build up of dangerous chemicals)
- Improving soils (soil additives etc)
- Limestone Underlay Technique
- Fertilising established trees
- Plant Nutrition
- Water Problems
- Choosing the right propagating technique
- Seed sources
- Hybrid seed production
- Storing seed
- Difficult seeds
- Dormancy facftors
- Maintaining genetic identity
- Propagating Media
- Propagating Eucalypts
- Propagating Acacias
- Improving curtting success rates
- Top graft
- Whip & Tongue graft
- Irrigated graft
- Grafting selected plants … Eucalypts, Grevilleas, Banksias, Hakeas
- After care of seed and cuttings
- Transplanting (seedlings, cuttings)
- Potting up plants and Growing on
- Most Commonly Grown Varieties
- Review dozens of relevant genera
- More About Important Groups
- Diagnosing Tree Problems
- Tree Surgery Techniques
- Other Varieties
- Rainforest Trees
- Constructing a Rainforest
- Melicope (Euodia)
- Making The Best Use of Native Plants
- Why plant trees in the Landscape
- Problems with trees
- Biological controls
- Planting Techniques (Pocket planting, slope serrration, Wattling, Planting arid sites, Direct seeding, Spray seeding)
- Edible Australian Tree Crops (Davidsonia, Quandong, Backhousia, Citrus, Acacia, Syzygium, Tasmannia, Kunzea)
- Australian indigenous timber trees
- Essential oils
- Useful Australian Conifers (Actinostrobus, Athrotaxus, Agathis, Araucaria, Callitris, Podocarpus)
- Australian Indigenous Palms
- Special Assignment
- You select and conduct an in depth study of one plant genus or group (eg. Timber trees, conifers, trees from a particular region)
Learning Goals: Australian Native Trees VHT115
- Identify Australian Native Trees
- Describe the culture of Australian Native Trees.
- Propagate Australian Native Trees
- Compare characteristics and cultural requirements of different commonly grown species of Australian Native Trees.
- Compare characteristics and cultural requirements of conifer and rainforest species of Australian Native Trees.
- Describe a range of uses for Australian native trees.
- Investigate one type of Australian Native Tree in depth.
Practical (Set Tasks)
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- ADL Ebook where relevant
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice