Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Plant Selection and Establishment
Plant Selection And Establishment 100 Hours Certificate Course
Learn About Plant Selection and Establishment
Plant Selection And Establishment Online Course
To be a successful Landscaper you’ll need a good understanding of plant knowledge. The Plant Selection And Establishment Online Course is here to help you
Choosing inappropriate and unpredictable plants, can result in your garden growing into something that was unforseen by the landscaper (and that really defeats the whole reason for landscaping!)
This course is an excellent choice and provides a solid foundation for landscapers and students of landscaping. Learning about plants is in reality, a lifelong journey of discovery; the journey becomes more productive; if you have a proper and fundamental understanding of “plant selection and use”.
Lesson Structure: Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
There are 10 lessons:
- What to plant where
- Plant selection
- Plant varieties
- Colourful year round foliage
- Establishment (timing, soil preparation, plant size, planting technique)
- Maintenance programs, etc
2 Woody plants
- Selecting Woody Plants
- Deciduous/Semi Deciduous/Evergreen
- Flowering Shrubs
- Establishing Woody Plants
- Planting Procedure
- Dealing with Shade, etc
3 Windbreaks, hedges and screens
- Plant Selection
- Establishing Windbreaks & Screens
- Trimming a Hedge, etc
4 Alpine and water plants
- Selecting & Establishing Alpines
- Selecting Water Plants
- Establishment & Maintenance of Water Plants
5 Annual and herbaceous plants
- Selecting annuals
- Types of Annuals (by Height, Flower, Edge Plants, Dot Plants, Groundwork Plants)
- Types of Bedding Schemes
- Planting Seed or Seedlings
- Container Culture
- Selection & Establishment of Herbaceous Plants (Bulbs & Perennials)
- Maximizing Flowering Effect, etc
- Lawn Mixes
- What to Grow Where
- Wildflower Meadows
- Turf Establishment
- Soil Preparation
- Fertilising, etc
- Managing pH
- Replacing Plants
- Developing a Maintenance Program
8 Pest and disease control
- Problem Prevention
- Non Chemical Control
- Chemical Control
9 Weed control
- Non Chemical Control
- Chemical Control
- Alternative Strategies
10 Risk assessment
- Identifying Risk
- Duty of Care
- Workplace Safety
- Protective Clothing
- Safety with Tools
- Significance of Illness, etc
Learning Goals: Plant Selection And Establishment BHT107
- Develop knowledge of the range of applications for and selection and establishment of horticultural plants.
- Develop knowledge in the establishment and maintenance of a range of woody plants, with different modes of growth, for different situations
- Develop knowledge in selection, establishment, and maintenance of species suitable for hedges windbreaks and screens.
- Describe the cultivation of alpine and water plants.
- Describe the selection, cultivation, and maintenance of herbaceous plants.
- Explain the selection, establishment and maintenance of turf and lawns.
- Explain the maintenance and cultural requirements of herbaceous, woody, and other plants.
- Consider the different pest and disease control implications resulting from the choice of different plant varieties.
- Determine pest and disease control requirements for a new garden.
- Explain the control of weeds in a garden.
- Explain the implications upon weed management that result from selection of particular plants for use in a garden.
- Manage establishment and maintenance of plants in a way that minimizes safety risks to people working in or visiting a garden.
Practical (Set Tasks)
- This course involves far more than just reading and answering questions. Here are just some examples of other things which you might be doing:
- Visiting different gardens, nurseries and/or parks. These could include home gardens, parks, commercial or any other type of site. The choice is yours.
- If for some reason (eg. Disability or isolation) you are unable to physically visit gardens or other places, you may undertake a “virtual visit” using the internet; and liaise via email.
- Survey or interview industry people.
- Analyse and devise maintenance plants for different areas.
- Research the cause of an incident.
- Prepare a weed collection of either pressings, photographs or illustrations.
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Here is a list of the most often asked FAQ’s.
Q. Why should I enrol with the Academy for Distance Learning?
A. Here at ADL, our students are our priority – we treat everyone as a unique individual.
Q. Do I need to buy text books?
A. No, as each module has been written by highly qualified industry professionals. The content of the material is presented in such a way that text books are not required. However, if you require additional reading your tutor will be able to supply a list.
Q. What happens if I have to stop studying for a while? (eg. become sick, go on holidays, have a baby, move house, etc)
A. It’s OK to take a break and start up your study at a later point in time. Just let us know.
Q. Is there an age limit?
A. There is no maximum age limit. We do however, have a minimum age limit of 18 years. Below that age parental consent would be required.
Q. Are your courses up-to date?
A. Our courses are revised and updated on a rotation system.
Q. Do you have a Cancellation policy?
A. Yes. We have a cancellation policy that is fair and equitable. For further details please click here.
Q. Will I have any opportunity to engage with other students?
A. We have a Student Community group based on facebook! If you don’t have a facebook account already, you could make one just for talking with fellow students on the group.
Q. When can I enrol/start?
A. You may enrol and start at any time of the year – it’s all self- paced.
Q. Can I study from anywhere in the world?
A. Our courses are available to anyone, anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own home. The course content is relevant to any country, culture or economy.
Q. How long do I have to complete the course?
A. You complete the course at any time that is convenient for you.
Q. Completing a 100 hour module – how long will it take?
A. For some students a 100 hour module will take approximately to 3- 6 months to complete. Others take less time and some even longer.
Q. Assessment – how does it work?
A. For each 100 hour module you are assessed by assignments (at the end of each lesson) and a final one and a half hour exam (or you may elect to complete a Project, instead of sitting the exam) – the choice is yours – you sit for the exam in your own location.
Q. I don’t cope well with exams – what can I do?
A. You may elect to undertake a Project (set by your tutor) instead of sitting the exam. Projects are completed from your home and can usually take a couple of weeks to complete.
Q. If my assignment is not up to standard is there an opportunity to resubmit my work?
A. Yes –
Q. How many assignments do I need to complete for each module?
A. At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment – so if a course has say, 10 lessons, there would be 10 assignments.
Q. I am having difficulty attending workshops/industry meetings, what can be done?
A. If your course requires attendance at workshops, conferences, or industry meetings; alternative arrangements can be made in your country.
Q. What qualification will I receive?
A. For individual modules, you would be awarded a Certificate endorsed by TQUK (Training Qualifications, UK), providing you complete all assignments and the exam. If you just want to complete only the assignments and not sit for the exam or finish a Project, then a Letter of Achievement would be awarded. For more details on qualifications available please click here.
Q. Can I customize my diploma/higher qualification?
A. Not all educational institution’s certificates /diplomas meet everyone’s needs. The opportunity to Design Your Own Diploma at the Academy (subject to our approval) is an added bonus, not found at other colleges. You choose modules that you think will help you in achieving your goal.
Q. What do I get when I complete the course? Will I receive a transcript?
A. At the completion of all courses and providing all assignments and exam requirements have been met, you will receive your Award and a Transcript.
Q. Our tutors – who are they?
A. We appoint Tutors and require that they must be currently active in their industry, with at least 5 years’ experience in their chosen profession.
Q. Can I contact my tutor at any time?
A. Yes – you have unlimited access to your tutor via email through our Online Classroom. You can always leave a message with ADL requesting your tutor to contact you. You decide on how much or how little contact you wish to have.
Q. Practical work – How is this done?
A. To find out more about this part of the course please visit the section on How Our Courses Work here.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice
There are no hidden extras
FAQ - RHS Theory Qualifications
If you require further details about any of the RHS industry recognised qualifications please, call one of our friendly RHS Course Advisors on +44 (0)1227 789 649 or email: [email protected]
Q: When can I Enrol/Start My RHS Course With ADL?
A: Anytime, Anywhere. There are no enrolment deadlines.
Q: I live Overseas. Can I Study From Overseas?
A: You can study any of the RHS theory qualifications overseas. All courses are offered in English. You will need to email RHS Qualifications direct to arrange sitting for your examination overseas.
Q: Is There a Time Limit for Completing an RHS Qualification?
A: At present there are no time limits. However, RHS is contemplating in the future, the introduction of course time-lines.
Q: Are There Any Entry Requirements (Pre-Requisites)?
A: The RHS Theory courses do not require prerequisites, previous experience or any knowledge of horticulture. You just need passion for all things horticulture.
Q: What Course Should I Start With First? I Am New To RHS Qualifications.
A: We highly recommend that you start with Level 2 – Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
Q: What Does ADL Course Material Include?
A: Includes Power Point Presentations, Videos and written course lessons.
Q: When Do Exams Take Place?
A: Exams are held on fixed dates in February and June of each year. You should register as a candidate at least 3 months before these dates, so please do not leave exam registration to the last minute
Q: Where Do I Take My Exams?
A: UK: You take the exams at the RHS Wisley Centre, located between Cobham and Ripley in Surrey or at other authorised RHS centres around the UK.
Overseas: please email RHS qualifications direct for centre information.
Q: Exam Pass Marks?
A: Module – pass 50%. Commendation 70%.
Qualification: 50% pass for all modules.
Commendation awarded for all modules.
Each question carries a value of 10 marks.
Q: I’m Not Happy With My Exam Results?
A: You have the opportunity to re-sit your exam at the next opportunity.
There are no restrictions on the number of re-sits you can take. The highest mark you achieve will remain.,