Could you please give me an idea of how much individual tutor feedback and assessment can I expect during the course? Many thanks Katya
I am happy to help answer your question.
The course material is delivered via our online classroom in pdf. format. There is some reading and a work book to complete. Your course tutor is there to give you help when you need anything clarified or explained, They will also mark your workbook and return it with helpful comments, plus mark up to four past exam papers, that you can download from the RHS website.
I hope you find this information useful.
I am considering taking the l2 distance learning principles of horticulture. What is difference between usb and online. Also you state you can take a l2 practical course after to covert to diploma. How long does that take please. Thank you.
Thank you for getting in touch about our RHS courses Emma.
When you sign up for the course, you will receive online access to the course materials. The USB and Correspondence options are optional extras if you want them. USB means we will post out your course on a memory stick.
We don't deal with the practical course and so we are not the best people to advise you on it, but the RHS website has details. Here is the link to them on their website:
I hope that this helps.
Hi, I am interested in the distance learning course as it would fit around my current job. However, I am concerned about the practical elements which appear to be involved and how these are arranged / organised via distance learning? Could you please let me know how this element of the course works. Kind Regards, Matthew
Hello Matthew and thank you for your question.
The RHS courses that we offer via distance learning are the theory principle courses only. Therefore no hands on work is required to complete them. The RHS do a third level 2 practical course, which can be taken at any time at an RHS approved centre. Students who successfully complete both theory principles and the practical element, are awarded a Level 2 Diploma.
Quite often distance learning is the only way many budding horticulturists can study, so it is a very popular and growing alternative to classroom based learning. As an approved RHS distance learning provider, our course material has been assessed by them and RHS assessors are satisfied that we are able to fully prepare students for the theory exams.
Where do we sit the exams for this course? Do we sit them at your offices?
Thank you for your interest in the Academy for Distance Learning and our RHS Level 2 Package.
Exams are taken at a RHS centre near to where you live. When you feel you are ready, you will need to arrange to attend them and pay the exam fees to them.
I hope that this helps
Hi I was wondering if any payment plans are available for the level 2 and 3 rhs course? Thanks Bethany
Thank you for your question.
The RHS level 2 Package course was created to offer students the opportunity to save money, if they enrolled for both courses at the same time and paid for in one upfront fee.
However, you can take the two Level 2 courses separately and split the payments of each one into 2 x monthly payments. The total fee for this option is £650.00.
Ask a question
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture (Package of Both L2 Courses)
The RHS Level 2 Combination Package Certificate in the Principles of Horticultureis awarded to all learners who have completed both the level 2 theory principles courses and passed the eight unit exams.
You can study this accredited and globally recognised qualification online, from the comfort of your home and gain the knowledge and skills you need to forge a successful career in horticulture. Distance learning is a very good and popular way to gain the qualifications needed to change your career, or undertake continuing professional development.
With home study, you can work at your own pace; you're not forced to learn at the speed of others who may be faster or slower than you. You are in control of your learning, both of how quickly you progress through the course and the depth to which you study. Due to the respect that RHS qualifications command within the gardening industry, they should be viewed as a desirable addition to your CV, if you either work in horticulture or intend to do so, maybe as a school leaver or someone looking to change careers.
To obtain the RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture, you will need to pass the eight unit exams, not included in your course fee, spread over the two courses below. Students need to register as an external candidate at an RHS Approved Centre to take these, or contact email@example.com for details. Exam fees are payable to the RHS Centre when booking your seat. To help fully prepare you for the exams, there are past test papers readily available.
By enrolling and paying for both courses in full, you will save 10% on the individual fees that apply when taking the courses separately.
- Plant Classification, Structure and Function
- Plant Nutrition and the Root Environment
- Maintaining Plant Health
- Understanding Plant Propagation
- Garden Features, Plant Selection and Planning
- Choice, Establishment and Maintenance of Garden Plants and Lawns
- Understanding the Production of Outdoor Vegetables and Fruit
- Protected Environments and their use in Plant Cultivation
The course and/or units can completed in any order and exams are held by the RHS in February and June every year. Please note that there are deadline dates by which you have to apply to take them and exam fees are paid to the test center when booking your seat.To help fully prepare you for the exams, there are past test papers readily available.
Thank you for your feedback on assignments 6 and 7. I find your comments to be both constructive and and Motivating". Lee-Anne B, RHS Level 2 package, UK
The Total Qualification Time (TQT) given for this package course of the two level 2 theory principles is 315.
You can be assured that all of the course work and resource materials (revision workbook, PowerPoint presentations etc.), have been written by experienced professionals who have prepared everything in line with up-to-date RHS guidelines, for learning providers.The syllabus is broken into the four units and because many people choose to spread their exams over the two examination months available, it means you can target your learning to those you want to take first. Please contact us if you just want to take one unit at a time.
Everyone gets online access to ADL's learning platform and the learning materials, which can be downloaded in a pdf. format to study offline. You can also choose to have the course posted to you on a USB memory stick and/or opt for the correspondence add-on option, if you would like the learning materials in book form.
At ADL we pride ourselves on the quality of the unlimited admin and tutor support we provide to our students. Our support team are there to help you with anything they can, whilst our tutors are seasoned industry related professionals, suitably qualified in horticulture and very happy to share their wealth of experience.
Studying from Abroad:
If you are intending to study from abroad (other than Ireland), you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an exceptional supervision form before applying to take the exams. This means that you can complete the course from abroad and get an internationally recognised qualification from the Royal Horticultural Society.
Tuition Fee Includes:
- Learning materials for all four units
- RHS student membership for the first 12 months
- Ideal qualifications for entry into horticultural employment, improving practical skills or further study
- Course covers a range of wide range of horticultural topics and up-to-date working practices
- Appropriate for career change or to gain a better knowledge
- Suitable for part-time study
- Each unit is assessed by examination or set practical activities
- Examinations take place in February and June
- Practical courses provide hands-on experience of practical skills
- No entry requirements
- Qualification consists of mandatory units (for theoretical and practical-based qualifications) with some optional units to develop specialist practical skills
- For RHS Website please click here
- For RHS Examination dates for 2019 please click here
- For RHS Examination fees please click here
- For RHS approved UK Examination Centers please click here
- For RHS Qualification Specification for Level 2 Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development, updated January 2018 please click here
- For RHS level 2 Statement of Qualification Purpose for Level 2 Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development, please click here
- For RHS Qualification Specification for Level 2 Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance, updated January 2018 please click here
- For RHS level 2 Statement of Qualification Purpose for Level 2 Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance please click here
Previous Student Comments:
'Thanks a lot for your help. I'd like to say that I'm very pleased and feel that I made the right choice in choosing ADL. I have found your customer service to be excellent, friendly and professional. The course I have started is also extremely well written and is very effective at 'commiting' the lessons to memory. So once again many thanks to yourself and your team!' Michael Allen - RHS Combined Package
Lesson Structure: Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture
Unit 1 - Plant Classification, Structure and Function:
- Outcome 1. Know the characteristics and the naming of the main groups of plants and their life cycles
- Outcome 2. Know the structure and function of plant cells, tissues and vegetative organs
- Outcome 3. Understand the structure and function of flowers, fruits and seeds
- Outcome 4. Understand the importance of photosynthesis, respiration, the movement of water and minerals through the plant
Unit 2 - Plant Nutrition and the Root Environment:
- Outcome 1. Understand the physical and chemical properties of soils
- Outcome 2. Know the importance of organic matter in the root environment
- Outcome 3. Understand plant nutrition provided by soil and other growing media
- Outcome 4. Understand the uses of growing media
Unit 3 - Maintaining Plant Health:
- Outcome 1. Understand the importance of using safe, healthy and environmentally sustainable practices for the maintenance of plant health
- Outcome 2. Understand the problems posed by weeds in horticulture and how these problems can be minimised
- Outcome 3. Understand the problems posed by pests and methods by which these can be minimised
- Outcome 4. Understand the problems posed by diseases in horticulture and methods by which they can be minimised
- Outcome 5. Understand the problems caused by plant disorders and methods by which they can be minimised
Unit 4 - Understanding Plant Propagation:
- Outcome 1. Understand the role of seeds in plant propagation
- Outcome 2. Understand methods of propagation from seeds and spores
- Outcome 3. Describe the role of Vegetative Reproduction in Plant Propagation
- Outcome 4. Understand methods of vegetative propagation
UNIT 1 - Garden Features, Plant Selection and Planning:
- Outcome 1. Know How to Carry out and Record a Garden Survey
- Outcome 2. Know How to Carry out a Site Appraisal and Record Essential Data
- Outcome 3. Understand Basic Garden Planning Principles and the Elements that Contribute to a Good Design
- Outcome 4. Understand the Characteristics of Accepted Garden Design Styles
- Outcome 5. Understand the Effective and Appropriate use of Hard Landscaping Materials
- Outcome 6. Understand the Effective use of Soft Landscaping Elements
- Outcome 7. Understand how to Incorporate Key Elements into a Cohesive Design
- Outcome 8. Understand the Importance of Safe, Healthy, Environmentally-Sensitive and Sustainable Development of Garden Sites
UNIT 2 - Garden Features, Plant Selection and Planning:
- Outcome 1. Understand the choice of plants for seasonal display and their establishment and maintenance
- Outcome 2. Understand the Choice of Herbaceous Perennial Plants and ‘bulbs’ for Display, and how to grow them
- Outcome 3. Understand the choice of Woody Plants for Display and their Establishment and Maintenance
- Outcome 4. Understand the Choice of Alpine and Rock Garden Plants and how to Grow Them
- Outcome 5. Understand the Planting and Maintenance of a Garden PoolOutcome 6. Understand the Establishment and Maintenance of Lawns
UNIT 3 - Understanding the Production of Outdoor Vegetables and Fruit:
- Outcome 1. Importance of site selection for Outdoor Food Production in a Garden or Allotment
- Outcome 2. Cultural operations used to produce outdoor food crops in a garden or allotment
- Outcome 3. The principles of vegetable crop production
- Outcome 4. The Production of top and soft fruit for a garden or allotment
Unit 4 - Understanding Protected Environments & their Use in Plant Cultivation:
- Outcome 1. A Range of types of Protected Structure, and their use in Growing Plants
- Outcome 2. The Environment provided by a range of Protected Structures
- Outcome 3. Structural and Cladding Materials used for a range of Protected Structures
- Outcome 4. The Control of the Environment in Protected Structures
- Outcome 5. Types of Container and Growing Media Used for Production and Display in Protected Structures
- Outcome 6. Horticultural uses of the Protected Environment
- Outcome 7. Care of Plants in an Interior Situation
Optional Recommended books:
For the RHS Level 2 Certificate Courses as a whole:
- Principles of Horticulture 6th Edition by CR Adams, KM Bamford and MP Early
- New RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening Techniques, Mitchell Beazley ISBN 978184533408
- RHS Encyclopedia of Plants and Flowers, Dorling Kindersley, ISBN 9781405314541
- RHS Botany for Gardeners: the Art and Science of Gardening Explained and Explored, Mitchell Beazley, ISBN 9781845338336.
Other Useful Books:
- The Green Garden Expert by Dr D G Hessayon, Expert Books, ISBN 978090350563
- RHS Plant Finder ( use the current edition only), £15.99 Dorling Kindersley
- Plant Names Simplified: Their Pronunciation Derivation and Meaning, AT Johnson and HA Smith, old Pond Publishing, ISBN 1905523823
- RHS Latin for Gardeners: Over 3,000 plant names explained and explored, Lorraine Harrison and the RHS. Mitchell Beazley ISBN 184533731X
Additional Additional Books for the Principles of Plant Growth, Propagation and Development
- Botany for Gardeners Revised edition Brian Capon, Timber Press £14.99 088192 6558
- Practical Science for Gardeners Mary Pratt, Timber Press £17.99 088192718X
- Green Plants: The Inside Story CJ Clegg. John Murray 0719575532
Additional Additional Books for the Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance:
- The Essential Garden Design Workbook, Rosemary Alexander 2nd edition, paperback Timber Press 0-881-92975-1
- John Brookes’ Garden Design Book, John Brookes 2nd edition Dorling Kindersley 0-75130-981-8
- RHS Encyclopedia of Garden Design, Chris Young (ed) Dorling Kindersley 1-40932-574-1
- The Garden DIY Expert, Dr D. G. Hessayon Expert Books 0-903-50537-1
- How to Garden: Garden Design, Alan Titchmarsh BBC Books 1-846-07397-9
- The Garden Planner, Robin Williams Frances Lincoln 0-71121-218-X
- Joe’s Small Garden Handbook, Joe Swift Quadrille Publishing Ltd 1-849-49367-7
For professional designers:
- An Introduction to Landscape Design and Construction
- James Blake, Gower 0-566-07775-2
- Plant User Handbook: a guide to effective specifying, James Hitchmough and Ken Fieldhouse (eds) Blackwell Publishing 0-632-05843-9
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Recognised qualification from the RHS. N.B. Course fee does not include exam fees.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 28 - Regulated Qualification|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||Highly recognition in the Horticultural Industry|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture (Package of Both L2 Courses)
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....