RHS Level 3 300 Hours Certificate Courses of Both L3 Programmes
hello, is there a time limit from starting to complete the qualification? Thanks, Sarah
there is no time limit for completing this course, or for completing individual assignments. The learning is totally self-paced so that that you can work on your assignments
as and when you have the time.
Ask a question
RHS Level 3 300 Hours Certificate Courses of Both L3 Programmes
RHS Level 3 Package course online. Start your career in Horticulture with this RHS certified package studied via distance learning! Continue to study the fundamental aspects of horticulture to further improve your career prospects in the profession. This course is an excellent follow on from completion of the RHS Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture.
Studying from the comfort of your home, at work or from anywhere, you can work at a pace that you feel comfortable with, not at the speed of those who may be faster or slower than you. You are in control of how quickly you progress through the course. The RHS level 3 qualifications will demonstrate to employers that you have achieved a high level of learning applicable to the gardening industry. Therefore, they will be a valuable addition to your CV, either if you already work in horticulture or intend to do so, maybe as a school leaver or someone looking for a career change.
To obtain the RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting (Theory) and RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation (Theory), you will need to pass four unit exams for each. These are an extra cost payable directly to the exam centres when booking your seat; they are not included in our course fees. Students need to register as an external candidate at an RHS Approved Centre, or contact email@example.com for details. To help fully prepare you for the exams, there are past test papers readily available.
By enrolling and paying for both courses in full, you will save 10% on the individual fees that apply when taking the courses separately.
- Garden Survey Techniques and Design Principles
- Selection and Use of Landscaping Elements in the Garden
- Setting out and Construction of Landscaping Elements in the Garden
- Specialist Elements in the Establishment of Garden and Urban Plantings
- Plant Taxonomy, Structure and Function
- The Root Environment, Plant Nutrition and Growing Systems
- The Management of Plant Health
- Understanding Applied Plant Propagation
The course and/or units can completed in any order and exams are held by the RHS in February and June every year. Please note that there are deadline dates by which you have to apply to take them and exam fees are paid to the test center when booking your seat.To help fully prepare you for the exams, there are past test papers readily available.
The courses take approximately 300 hours to complete but this is given as a guide only. We encourage our learners to work at their own pace and so there are no assignment deadlines or end date, by which the course must be completed by. Apart from the RHS exam dates deadlines, you decide how and when you study. If you start and then something happens in your life that stops you from continuing, don't worry. Just take a break and recommence your studies for the following year's exams or even for the year after that.
You can be assured that all of the course work and resource materials (revision workbook, PowerPoint presentations etc.), have been written by experienced professionals who have prepared everything in line with up-to-date RHS guidelines, for learning providers.The syllabus is broken into the four units and because many people choose to spread their exams over the two examination months available, it means you can target your learning to those you want to take first. Please contact us if you just want to take one unit at a time.
Everyone gets online access to ADL's learning platform and the learning materials, which can be downloaded in a pdf. format to study offline. You can also choose to have the course posted to you on a USB memory stick and/or opt for the correspondence add-on option, if you would like the learning materials in book form.
At ADL we pride ourselves on the quality of the unlimited admin and tutor support we provide to our students. Our support team are there to help you with anything they can, whilst our tutors are seasoned industry related professionals, suitably qualified in horticulture and very happy to share their wealth of experience.
Studying from Abroad:
If you are intending to study from abroad (other than Ireland), you will need to email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an exceptional supervision form before applying to take the exams. This means that you can complete the course from abroad and get an internationally recognised qualification from the Royal Horticultural Society.
Tuition Fee Includes:
Learning materials for all four units
RHS student membership for the first 12 months
Ideal qualifications for entry into horticultural employment, improving practical skills or further study
Course covers a range of wide range of horticultural topics and up-to-date working practices
Appropriate for career change or to gain a better knowledge
Suitable for part-time study
Each unit is assessed by examination or set practical activities
Examinations take place in February and June
Practical courses provide hands-on experience of practical skills
No entry requirements
Qualification consists of mandatory units (for theoretical and practical-based qualifications) with some optional units to develop specialist practical skills
- RHS Website please click here
- RHS Examination dates for 2018 please click here
- RHS Examination fees please click here
- RHS approved UK Examination Centers please click here.
- RHS Level 3 Qualification Specification for this course (last update September 2017) please click here
- RHS Statement of Qualification Purpose please click here
- RHS Information on requirements for Level 3 Diploma in the Principles and Practices of Horticulture click here
Previous Student Comments:
'Thanks a lot for your help. I'd like to say that I'm very pleased and feel that I made the right choice in choosing ADL. I have found your customer service to be excellent, friendly and professional. The course I have started is also extremely well written and is very effective at 'commiting' the lessons to memory. So once again many thanks to yourself and your team!' Michael Allen - RHS Combined Package
Lesson Structure: RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Garden Planning, Construction and Planting (Theory)
UNIT 1 Garden Survey Techniques and Design Principles
- Outcome 1: Understand how to develop a client brief
- Outcome 2: Understand how to carry out a site appraisal
- Outcome 3: Understand a range of basic surveying techniques
- Outcome 4: Understand the principles of garden design
- Outcome 5: Understand the historical development of garden design styles
UNIT 2 - Selection and Use of Landscaping Elements in the Garden
- Outcome 1: Understand the Contribution made by Hard Landscaping Features to Garden Design
- Outcome 2: Understand the Contribution made by Soft Landscaping Features to the Design of a Garden
UNIT 3 - Setting out and Construction of Landscaping Elements in the Garden
- Outcome 1: Understand the Planning Involved in the Realisation of a Garden Design
- Outcome 2: Understand the Practical Procedures for Setting out a Site
- Outcome 3: Understand the Reasons for Correct Groundwork Procedures
- Outcome 4: Know Materials and Construction Procedures for Garden Surfaces
- Outcome 5: Know materials and construction procedures for garden walls, fences and pergolas
UNIT 4 - Specialist Elements in the Establishment of Garden and Urban Plantings
- Outcome 1. Understand the Practices of Establishing and Maintaining Planting in a Range of Specialist Areas
- Outcome 2. Understand Pruning in the Establishment and Maintenance of Specialist Plantings
Lesson Structure: RHS Level 3 Certificate in the Principles of Plant Growth, Health and Applied Propagation (Theory)
UNIT 1 Plant Taxonomy, Structure and Function
- Outcome 1: Understand the Plant Kingdon & the Taxonomic Hierachy
- Outcome 2: Understand the Structure and Function of Plant Tissues and Organs in the Life of the Plant
- Outcome 3: Understand Photosynthesis, Respiration, Water/solute Relations in the Plant and their Relevance to Horticulture
- Outcome 4: Understand the role of Plant Growth Regulators in Plant Development and their Relevance to Horticulture
UNIT 2 The Root Environment, Plant Nutrition & Growing Systems
- Outcome 1: Understand Formation and Properties of Soils and other growing media
- Outcome 2: Understand the relationship between plant growth and air and water in soils and other growing media
- Outcome 3: Understand the Role of Living Organisms in Soil Processes
- Outcome 4: Understand the role of nutrients in plant growth
- Outcome 5: Understand organic growing
UNIT 3 The Management of Plant Health
- Outcome 1: Know the characteristics of a range of pests, diseases and weeds of horticultural significance
- Outcome 2: Review the Control of Pests, Diseases and Weeds in Horticulture
UNIT 4 Understanding Applied Plant Propagation
- Outcome 1: Understand how Knowledge of Seed Anatomy, Physiology and Environmental Factors can be Applied to Propagate and Conserve Seeds Successfully
- Outcome 2: Understand the Relevance of Anatomy, Physiology and Environmental Factors to Methods of Vegetative Propagation
- Outcome 3: Understand Methods of Propagation used in Horticultural Production
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||Level 2 Garden Planning and Level 2 Plant Growth are both advised, as level 3 will assume you have knowledge from level 2.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Recognised qualification from the RHS. N.B. Course fee does not include exam fees.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 30 - Regulated Qualification.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Your qualification is recognised in its own right on the Ofqual Register|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK