Ask a question
Sports Coaching Course Online: Acquire the knowledge and skills needed to become a sports coach with this excellent distance learning course.
The World loves sport. The World Cup, European Champions League and Premier League attract millions of football fans worldwide. Wimbledon held in June of each year, excites tennis fans as they watch the best professional players duel it out on centre court. And what cricket enthusiast can resist the Ashes series between England and Australia? That's just three of the many competitive sports that are played and watched around the world. Others include Rugby, American Football, Athletics and Gymnastics, to name just a few.
In addition to the elite professional sportsmen and women gracing our TV screens, adults and children participate in sports activities at grass roots level as amateurs. Parents get up early at weekends, to take their sons and daughters to play for a local Sunday League football team. Others get in a game of tennis before breakfast. And running enthusiasts train whatever the weather, for the London Marathon.
With more and more people taking up sport, there is a real need for sports coaches everywhere, with the ability to develop an individual's talent, or the man management skills to create a successful team. This Certificate in Sports Coaching will help you do this with eleven comprehensive lessons covering important subjects such as the coach/athlete relationship, motivation, coaching techniques applied to individuals and teams and the crucial differences in coaching at amateur, elite and professional levels.
Learning Goals: Sports Coaching VRE109
- To explain the role of the sports coach
- To explain professional standards and codes of ethics applicable to sports coaching.
- To explain and define what constitutes the coach-athlete relationship.
- To explain the roles adopted each by the coach and the athlete.
- Explain mechanisms which underlie motivation in sport and apply them to motivational strategies.
- Understand how to work with individual athletes, and methods of coaching them to be successful.
- To understand team dynamics and methods of coaching teams to be successful.
- To explain the athletic identity and its significance in sports coaching
- To explain important elements of sports coaching for children
- To consider the differences between amateur, elite and professional sports coaching.
- To explain different ways a sports coach can maintain motivation in their role
Lesson Structure: Sports Coaching VRE109
1 Introduction to Sports Coaching
- What Do We Mean By Sports Coaching?
- Working with Others
- Focus on Sports Coach
- Sports Coaching Skills and Roles
2 Professional Standards and Communication in Sports Coaching
- Ethics in Sports Coaching
- Example Code of Ethics
- Professional Standards in Sports Coaching
- Good communication with athletes and other sporting professionals
3 The Coach-Athlete Relationship
- The Relationship Between The Coach and Athlete
- The Coach-Athlete Relationship
- Other Relationship Models
- A Two-Way Road
- Coaching Skills
4 Training Roles of the Coach and Athlete
- The Three Stages of Athlete Learning
- Types of Coaching Roles
- Autocratic Coaching – teacher and dictator
- Democratic Coaching – involving
- Holistic Coaching – the global approach
- Which Style is For You?
- Blended Coaching – the dynamic approach
- What is Motivation?
- Needs Hierarchy
- Intrinsic & Extrinsic Motivation
- Incentives and Rewards
- Fear as a Motivator
- How to Motivate Sports People
- Motivating Through Purpose
- Offering Autonomy and Support
- Using Visualisations
- Case Study
6 Coaching Individuals
- Introduction: Sports that are played by individuals
- Coaching Skills with the Individual
- Social Facilitation & the Individual
- Case studies of coaching working with individuals
7 Coaching Teams
- Introduction: Sports that are played by teams
- Building Teams
- Team Dynamics
- Creating Team Leaders
- Motivating Teams
- Social Facilitation & Teams
- Coaching skills with the team
- Case studies of sports people in team sports
- Case studies of coaching working with team
8 The Athletic Identity
- What is the Athletic Identity?
- The Athletic Identity
- Importance of the Athletic Identity
- Problems with Athletic Identity
- How a Sports Coach Can Help
- The Stages of Grieving
- How does this relate to the sports person?
9 Children and Parents in Sport
- Ethical Issues Working with Children
- How coaching children differs to coaching adults
- The Long-Term Athlete Development Model
- Sports that involve children
- Coaching Style
- Psychological issues when children are involved in sport
- Impact of Parents on Children in Sport
- Encouraging Children to Take Up Sports
10 Amateur Vs Elite Vs Professional Sports Coaching
- Amateur vs. Professional
- Case Study
11 Maintaining Your Motivation as a Coach
- A Recap on Motivation
- Positive Thinking
- Staying Focused
- Staying Engaged
- How to Deal with Disappointment
|Course Hours||100 approx. - no deadlines - work at your own pace|
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Qualification||Certificate in Sports Coaching|
|Exam Required?||Yes - if endorsed Certificate is required from Ofqual Recognised Awarding Organisation. No - if Certificate of Completion is required|
|Study Support||Study Support: You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK