Bushcraft And Wilderness Activities
Ask a question
Bushcraft And Wilderness Activities
Bushcraft and Wilderness Activities course online. This online course is valuable to people who may have a recreational interest in wilderness exploration, orienteers, tour guides, scout leaders, or ecotour business owners.
"Although I had a fair knowledge of Bushcraft before, the course has widened my knowledge and also made me look at things from a professional view in Bushcraft.
I enjoyed doing the assignments very much and learnt a lot from them.
My tutor was Katie Freeth. Everytime I messaged my tutor she always responded back quickly and always answered to help me understand more. I am very pleased with my grades and feedback I got.
Whenever I emailed info@adl they always emailed back politely and promptly especially when passing on my video and picture emails to my tutor.
I loved doing my course and very much want to take another course with ADL!" Jade M, Bushcraft and Wilderness Activities, UK.
Lesson Structure: Bushcraft And Wilderness Activities BTR201
There are 10 lessons:
- Understanding Wilderness Areas
- Living Things
- Ecological Relationships
- Climatic Zones
- Climate/Soil/Vegetation Interrelationships
- Plant Associations
- Continental Drift
- Understanding Impacts of Weather on Wilderness Activities - Highs and Lows, Thunderstorms, Atmospheric pressure changes in storms, guide to weather symbols.
- Participant Fitness Levels - testing current physical fitness and further tests
- Equipping to survive - minimum essential items for the survival kit, additional items, individual medical kit
- Essential Items for Wilderness Travel
- Food packaging
- Liability and Insurance
- Risk Assessment
- Protection from the Elements
- First Aid Procedures
- Hypothermia (exposure)
- Hyperthermia (heat exhaustion)
- Building a wilderness shelter
- Lighting a fire
- Mental strength
- Natural Resources
- Finding water - plan ahead to find water, how much water do you need?
- Landscape vegetation and animal signs, things to avoid, making an above ground still, soakage water, water from tree roots
- Case Study - Survival story
- Bush tucker or Survival Food - Australian bush tucker foods.
- Preparation of plant food.
- Animals for food
- Use of Bush Tucker Food
- Navigation and direction finding - how to use a compass, map reading, longitude and latitude, scale, contour lines, estimating distances, pacing.
- Navigation by the sun, moon and stars
- Dealing with Emergencies
- Venomous creatures - snakes - symptoms of a poisonous bite, first aid, arachnids - first aid, marine creatures - jelly fish, cone shell, first aid, scorpionfish, lionfish and stonefish - first aid, other dangerous marine creatures.
- Carnivorous mammals - bears, big cats
- Poisonous plants
- Setting up camp
- Camping - different styles of camping
- Successful camp programming
- Waste disposal
- Passive Land Based Activities
- Observing nature
- Environmental activities for children
- Plant collection
- Water Based Adventure Activities
- Some water-based activities - snorkelling, scuba, sailing, speed boating and jet skiing, canoeing, white-water rafting, water skiing.
- Active Land Based Adventure Activities
- Activities - abseiling, hang gliding, rock climbing, snow skiing, snowboarding
- Motorised Vehicles - landscape impact, safety, considerations
- Mountain Bikes
- Horse Riding
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
Learning Goals: Bushcraft And Wilderness Activities BTR201
- To appreciate the scope and implications of ecotourism opportunities in wilderness areas.
- To be able to prepare for an excursion into a wilderness area
- To determine appropriate methods of protecting against the elements.
- To determine different uses for natural resources in the wilderness.
- To be able to navigate in a wilderness area using a variety of different techniques.
- To deal with a range of emergencies in a wilderness situation, including developing contingency plans and determining appropriate first aid.
- Explain campsite establishment and management.
- Determine appropriate procedures for managing different passive wilderness activities.
- Determine appropriate procedures for managing different water based wilderness activities.
- Determine appropriate procedures for managing different active wilderness activities.
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Exam Required?||Finalised with exam\test|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK