Ask a question
Children's Nutrition Course Online - Understand the Importance Children's Nutrition ! A comprehensive distance learning course covering pre-pregnancy stage to adolescent nutrition in depth. Ideal course for people working with or wanting to work with children, people in the healthcare industry or mothers wanting to strengthen their knowledge of their child's nutrition. Online course was developed by qualified and experienced nutritionists following a great demand. Unique in its kind, available by distance education.
This course has been accredited by the CMA - The Complimentary Medical Association. On completion of any qualifying module, you can join as a "Fully Qualified Practitioner" andCMA Full Membership is a privileged position and the fact that you have been accepted for CMA Membership demonstrates that you have a clear commitment to standards and professionalism. CMA Members in all categories are recognised as the elite in their field.
Learning Goals: Children's Nutrition BRE304
Discuss the nature and scope of developing nutrition for children according to their backgrounds and needs.
Explain the various nutritional needs of the mother and father before pregnancy .
Explain the various nutritional needs of the mother and child during pregnancy.
Explain various nutritional needs of infants from birth to age two.
Explain various nutritional aspects of growing children addressing various issues and concerns.
Identify concerns in the diets of children and adolescents and overcoming them.
Lists ways to encourage healthy eating behaviour in children.
Explain some of the common issues such as food sensitivities in childhood nutrition.
Explain causes and guidelines to overcoming childhood obesity.
Develop a list diet outlines for healthy children and special diet plans for children with special nutritional needs.
Lesson Structure: Children's Nutrition BRE304
There are 10 lessons in this course:
1. Introduction to Child Nutrition
- Scope, Nature and History of Nutrition
- Effect of Culture and Family Background on Nutrition
- Importance of Nutrition in Early Childhood
- Basic Nutrients needed in a Child's Diet
- Key things to Remember about a Childs Diet
- Nutrition Tips for Children
2. Nutrition for Pre-Pregnancy
- Pre-Conception Diet - Maternal Weight, Maternal Nutrient Status
- Paternal Health and Nutrition
- Effect of Nutrition of Parents at Conception
- Making Diet Changes Pre-Conception
3. Nutrition in Pregnancy
- Early Pregnancy and Morning Sickness
- Tips to Help with Pregnancy Nausea
- Nutrition through Pregnancy -RDI
- Caloric and Fluid Intake through Pregnancy
- Calorie Demands for a Pregnant Woman
- Foods to Avoid While Pregnant
- Pregnancy Complications that Relate to Nutrition (Neural Tube Defect, Morning Sickness, Constipation, Gestational diabetes, Hypertension, Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
4. Nutrition in Infants
- Formula Feeding
- Feeding for the first six months
- Starting on Solid Foods
- Adequate Vitamin C and Iron Intake in first year
- Progressing with Solid Foods: protein, dairy, finger foods, etc
- Nutrition for Toddlers
- Snack Packs, Small Meals, Meal Alternatives, Being creative, etc
5. Nutrition in Childhood
- Caloric Intake
- Mineral Intake
- Vitamin Intake
- Encouraging Good Eating Habits
- Morning and Afternoon Snacks
- Packed Lunches
- Eating Habits
6. Nutritional Concerns
- Scope and Nature of Nutritional Health for Children
- Healthy Snacks and Re-hydration
- Anaemia or Iron Deficiencey
- Dental Care
- Eating Disorders : Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating
- Fast Food and Junk Food
7. Healthy Eating Behaviours
- Influencing Childrens Eating
- Teaching Healthy Eating to Children
- Health Snack Ideas
- Childhood Food Sensitivities
- Food Intolerance
- Food Allergies
- Relevant Research
- Food and Autism
- Food and Child Behaviour Problems
- Diagnosing Sensitivities : skin test, blood test, diet
8. Issues in Child Nutrition
- PBL Project: Develop a presentation to be given to a group of families, where a child has been recently diagnosed with an illness/disease of your choice. The purpose of the presentation is to inform families and sufferers about the disease, and to provide clear, simple guidelines for dietary intervention to improve health, correct the condition or prevent deterioration in health.
9. Childhood Obesity
- Cause of Childhood Obesity
- What is Unhealthy about Childhood Obesity?
- Guidelines for Child Weight Loss
10. Diet Plans
- Special Nutritional Needs
- Childhood Diabetes
- Vegetarian and Vegan Diets
- Normal Eating Habits for Children
Please note: Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the academy, marked by the academy's tutor and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Interview three parents regarding the diets (what the children eat for breakfast , lunch and dinner as well as snacks) of their children , they can be family or friends. Make a day's menu for each one of them according to the information they give you.
- Interview two pregnant women (family or friends) and question about their daily diet. Note what they have said and write how you would improve their diets.
- Research for information to make a tasty and healthy weaning mix for a six month old baby. Make your own weaning mix with the information you have gathered.
- Prepare a diet plan for an 11 year old for three days.
- Compare the nutrition panel for 3 different staple foods bought from the supermarkets (for example breakfast cereals, stir fry sauces or pasta sauces, fruit bars). Compare the added sugars to natural sugars
- Do a survey and find out What Australian children and adolescents are actually eating. Write a 200 word report on your survey. (You can conduct your survey by talking to children, adolescents and their parents, by reading articles in magazines and newspapers or by searching the internet)
This course/module will enable you understand all aspects of childhood nutrition and deal with them. It is an ideal course for people working with children in the child care industry. It is also a good course for mothers wanting to understand their childrens nutritional needs and learn to cope with them or for self enhancement.
Your learning experience with ADL will not only depend on the quality of the course, but also the quality of the person teaching it. This course is taught by Juliette Harris and your course fee includes unlimited tutorial support throughout. Here are their credentials:
Juliette Harris - Nutritional
BSc Hons Biology (University of Sussex)
Juliette has over 10 years experience in teaching and private tutoring. As an undergraduate, she contributed to published research on the behaviour of an endangered bat species, though her main areas of interest and specialisation are genetics and cellular biology. After 7 months in the rainforests & reefs of Central America, Juliette began her teaching career at prestigious private school, Brighton College. She soon returned to Central America, heading up a field-trip for A-level students. She has been private tutor & exam coach to a range of students with very diverse backgrounds, aptitudes and expectations.More recently, Juliette has enjoyed working with adults with learning difficulties and enormous barriers to education. Juliette currently splits her time between England and Bulgaria, where she works as a teacher and missionary.
EBOOK TO COMPLIMENT THIS COURSE
Discover a better understanding of food and nutrition, what to eat and what to avoid. Human Nutrition is an ideal introductory text for students and anyone else interested in learning how diet and harm or help human health.
by the Staff of ACS Distance Learning
Human Nutrition eBook course online. It's surprising how little most people know about the human body and how it works. If we all spent just a small amount of time educating ourselves, we would save years in terms of health problems and hundreds of pounds otherwise spent on health care.
Throughout history there has been a vast array of nutritional claims and dietary advice. For example, there is evidence of dietary regimes involving fasting as far back as in Ancient Greece and many examples since of diet being used either to restrict intake to lose weight or to act as a cure for a medical complaint. This book will give you the background necessary to understand these theories and make better choices for yourself.
Chapter 1 The Digestive System -Everyone is different
Nutrition and nutrients
General health recommendations
Examples of serving size
Chapter 2. Modyfying Diet for a Particular Lifestyle or Genetic Disposition
Chapter 3. Foods and Nutrition
Why do we need to know the nutritional content in foods?
Nutrients provided by the five food groups
Chapter 4. Nutrition and Health Disorders
How diet may affect skin
Diet and our bones, joints and muscles
Nutrition and the heart
Diet and the respiratory system
Diet and the urinary system
Diet and the digestive system
Diet and the brain/mental health
Chapter 5. How to Find Reliable information on Nutrition
Sources of nutritional information
Conditions requiring dietary advice
Weight loss diets.
|Course Start||Anytime, Anywhere|
|Course Hours||100 hours|
|Recognised Issuing Body||TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation.|
|Course Prerequisite||No, start at anytime|
|Course Qualification||Level 4 Certificate in Children's Nutrition|
|UK Course Credits||10 Credits|
|US Course Credit Hours||3 Credit Hours|
|Study Support||You'll be allocated your own personal tutor/mentor who will support and mentor you throughout your whole course. Our tutors/mentors have been specifically chosen for their business expertise, qualifications and must be active within their industry. Tutors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through our Moodle Student Support Zone online. Tutors are there to provide assistance with course material, discuss, explain and give advice and support throughout the whole programme. Their feedback is vital to your success.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Tree for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UK
"It exceeded my expectations. It was more comprehensive than I expected and the assignments really stimulated deep study of the subject. Thank you for your guidance. I am delighted with my certificate and will recommend this course and ADL to my friends and colleagues." G Flaherty, Ornithology BEN102, Ireland
"I want to thank you for the course - Hotel Management- I've just finished now. The course was comprehensive and well edited. For sure it can give a new worker in the hospitality industry the basic theoretical and practical knowledge required". Daniel K, Hotel Management, Romania
"Upon completing the Interior Plants Course I was offered my dream job. Taking this class was one of the best decisions I've made, the information I received was invaluable. Thank you ADL". Meg V, Interior Plants, Florida, USA.
“I am delighted to report that I passed the exam and received a “Pass with Commendation”. I appreciate very much the detail that you went into, in the correction of my assignments and I found your advice and extra subject information invaluable in advancing my interest and knowledge in horticulture”. Go raibh mile maith agat! (a thousand thanks!) Colin, RHS Cert II, Ireland
"Although my main interest in Earth Science is Geology I found this course excellent. The course notes were very interesting and useful throughout the course. Thank you to the ADL staff for their excellent service" Barry. Earth Science
"I received good feedback, and had an efficient turnaround of assignments, useful comments and grades to analyse." Andrew, Calf Rearing
"I enjoyed the course and developed a good understanding of learning and behaviour disorders. I feel this will be helpful in my role as a Clerk at a local primary school". The course met my expectations and I enjoyed the challenge of learning about conditions i knew little about. The presentation of the course and the opportunity to communicate with my tutor was valuable. I enjoyed the course so much , I am planning to do another! Jennifer C, Developmental Learning and Behavioural Disorders in Children and Adolescents, UK