Culinary Herbs 100 Hours Certificate Course
Ask a question
Culinary Herbs 100 Hours Certificate Course
Culinary Herbs course online. Master the art of growing and using herbs.! Learn how to identify and successfully grow dozens of common and uncommon edible herbs. Develop your skills and experience the delights of cooking adventurous new recipes with herbs.
Learn drying and other methods of preserving the flavour (eg. herb oils, salts, vinegars). Eight lessons as follows cover common and less common herbs used for cooking.
Lesson Structure: Culinary Herbs VHT242
There are 8 lessons:
- Scope and Nature of Culinary Herbs
- Herbs and Horticulture
- Accurately Identifying Herbs
- Plant Classification, binomial system
- Finding the group a herb fits into -Monocotyledons and Dicotyledons, Plant Families
- Pronouncing Plant Name
- Resources - information contacts (ie. nurseries, seed, clubs etc.
- pH Requirements
- Improving soild
- Potting mixes
- Plant Nutrition and Fertilizers
- Water Management for Herbs
- Diagnosing Plant Health Problems
- Pests, Disease and Environmental Problems
- Planting, staking, and establishing herb plants, etc.
- Growing Herbs
- Propagation of herbs
- Seed Propagation
- Cutting Propagation
- Potting Media
- Division, Separation, Layering
- Rejuvenation of Perennials
- Designing a Culinary Herb Garden
- Creating a Kitchen Garden
- Planning a Fragrant Herb Garden
- Companion Planting in Your Design
- Cooking With Herbs
- General Guidelines for Using Herbs in Cooking
- Harvesting Herbs; roots, leaves, seed, fruits
- Handling after Harvest
- Drying Herbs
- Hints for Using a Range of Selected Herbs in Cooking
- Herbs For Garnish
- Herbal Teas: What & how to use different herbs
- Herb Vinegars, oils, butters, cheeses, salts, sugars, honey,, etc
- Herb Confectionary, Cakes, etc.
- Selected Herb Recipes
- Using Herbs with Fruit
- Most Commonly Grown Varieties.
- Review of many Common Culinary herbs, including their culture and culinary use
- Over 20 herbs reviewed in detail, incl. Alliums
- Many additional herbs summarized
- Other Important Groups.
- Lamiaceae (mint family) herbs
- Lemon Scented Herbs and their uses
- The Basils
- Origanum species
- The Lesser Grown Varieties
- Arctium lappa
- Capparis; and many more
- Using Australian Native Plants as Flavourings
- Special Assignment
- A PBL Project on a selected genus of culinary herbs
Learning Goals: Culinary Herbs VHT242
- Describe the plant naming system, the major family groups that herbs fall into and the resources available to the culinary herb grower.
- Describe how to manage the cultural requirements of culinary herbs.
- Describe the various methods of propagation, both sexual and asexual, the treatments generally used for seed storage and the handling of cutting material.
- Explain the way in which herbs are used in cooking and which herbs best suit various dishes.
- Discuss the most common herb varieties used in cooking.
- Compare a range of culinary herbs in a single plant family.
- Discuss a range of lesser grown culinary herb varieties.
- Explain the uses of a range of culinary herbs within a specific group of herb plants.
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final exam.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||100 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....