Lavender 100 Hours Certificate Course
Ask a question
Lavender 100 Hours Certificate Course
Lavender course online. Become an expert in growing lavender! Lavender has been a popular cultivated plant for many centuries and is perhaps the most common, and certainly one of the most versatile herbs you could ever consider growing.
It can be grown as a shrub, a tub plant or a hedge; keep it cut low or let it grow over a metre tall. The flowers and leaves can be used for medicinal, craft, cosmetic and even culinary purposes, making it a profitable commodity world-wide.
Lesson Structure: Lavender BHT228
There are 10 lessons:
- Classification and identification of lavender, general characteristics of the group, contacts (ie: nurseries, seed, clubs, etc.)
- Soils, Fertilisers and Nutrition for Lavender
- Soil structure, pH, organic matter, ameliorants and organic growing.
- Cultural Techniques for Lavender Growing
- Pruning, water management (mulching, irrigation, drainage, etc.), planting and establishment methods, crop scheduling, no dig gardening.
- Lavender Propagation
- Propagation from cuttings, propagation growth media, other propagation methods,
- Commercial Alternatives
- Managing a Market Garden, standards, mulches, problems and their control, weed control without chemicals, economic outlook for herbs.
- Plant Variety Selection and Breeding
- Breeding and selecting new varieties, lavender clone selection for essential oils in Tasmania.
- Building Plant Knowledge
- Lavender types and other varieties, advantages and disadvantages of different varieties.
- Harvesting, Postharvest Treatment and Storage
- Harvesting, distillation and oils, post harvest preservation of fresh herbs, drying lavender.
- Processing and Making Lavender Products
- Lavender crafts, using herbs in cooking, selling herb products.
- Marketing Lavender Produce
- How to market your produce, considering your market, market research, selling successfully.
Learning Goals: Lavender BHT228
- Describe the plant naming system and classification of plants
- Discuss the nature and scope of the Lavender genus.
- Describe the nutritional requirements of the lavender species.
- Explain the cultural requirements of the lavender species.
- Explain propagating techniques specific to lavender
- Describe commercial lavender growing operations.
- Select species appropriate to the climatic and soil conditions of a chosen locality.
- Describe of a variety of lavender species and cultivars.
- Describe the production processes on a lavender farm.
- Describe various lavender products and discuss the way in which they are processed.
- Explain the processes used in the marketing of lavender products.
Practicals: What you will be doing during this Course
- Prepare a collection of 20 different types of lavender in the form of pressed, dried, labelled specimens
- Compile a resource file of contacts relevant to lavender and lavender growing
- Contact a number of lavender related organisations for information on their activities in the industry
- Collect and test at least three different soil samples
- Identify and (optional) manufacture a potting mix suitable for lavender growing
- Collect information on organic and inorganic fertilisers from fertiliser companies
- Research information on machinery used in horticulture by contacting the companies that produce it
- Produce a no dig garden or an organic garden
- Manufacture a propagating mix for lavender cuttings
- Take lavender cuttings for propagation
- Contact a herb nursery to observe their operation
- Research irrigation equipment by contacting irrigation suppliers
- Cross pollinate lavender and grow the resulting seed
- Compare various types of lavender
- Harvest a number of different types of lavender
- Produce a small quantity of lavender oil
- Produce two non edible and one edible product containing lavender
- Visit a shop selling lavender products to observe marketing procedures
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?|
|Course Start||Begin your course at anytime.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final exam.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||100 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....