Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Home Garden Expert
Home Garden Expert 100 Hours Course
Learn About Home Garden Expert
Home Garden Expert course online. Create your ideal garden! Become the gardening expert of your family with this comprehensive home gardening course. This course contains hundreds of pages of notes, hundreds of photos and illustrations, and (for the online & USB version) large numbers of automated self assessment tests.
Eight units each comprising 2 or 3 lessons. Each lesson involves both reading and practical work.
Learn how to Grow Plants from the Experts. This course has been Producing Garden Experts since 1985
- Become the gardening expert in your family (and neighbourhood)
- Learn to grow and identify healthy, plants
- Avoid wasting money -choose plants and materials that give you value
- Enjoy home gardening with new confidence and passion
Learn to understand what makes your garden tick. Whatever you want to achieve with your garden, this course will help you to garden more efficiently and effectively.
Lesson Structure: Home Garden Expert Course AHT101
There are 8 lessons:
- Basic Plant Identification & Culture
- Plant names, planting, transplanting, tools & equipment.
- Soils & Nutrition
- Soil structure, nutrition, composting, soil building, drainage, fertilizers.
- Pests & Weeds
- Identifying problems, sprays, biological control, weed identification & control.
- How to design a garden, rockeries, native gardens, traditional (European style) home gardens.
- Propagating materials, seed, cuttings.
- Turf varieties, laying a lawn, lawn care.
- Indoor Gardening
- Hardy indoor plants, container growing.
- The Kitchen Garden
- Vegetable gardening, fruit trees, herbs.
Learning Goals: Home Garden Expert Course AHT101
- Identify plant health problems and know treatments.
- Know the plant naming system and how plants are classified.
- Understand the effect of soil structure and texture on plant growth.
- Understand plant terminology and planting methods.
- Understand plant pruning requirements and methods
- Know plant nutrition requirements
- Understand soil conditions and when they require improvement.
- Recognise a range of pests and diseases and the methods of control.
- Recognise a range of weeds and know various control methods.
- Know a range of garden styles and the history behind them.
- Have knowledge of landscape construction techniques.
- Understand the elements and processes of landscape design.
- Understand various propagating techniques
- Propagate plants by various methods
- Understand the soil preparation and requirements to establish or renovate a lawn
- Know lawn maintenance requirements.
- Understand requirements, including environmental and nutritional aspects of growing plants indoors (including hydroponics and greenhouses).
- Know how to select plants suited to growth indoors
- Develop knowledge of vegetable growing procedures and requirements.
- Have knowledge of a range of fruits and berries suited to the home garden
- Have knowledge of a range of commonly grown herbs and flowers
Practical (Set Tasks)
- Read notes written and supplied by staff of this school
- Watch instructional video
- Test and name different soils
- Mix inexpensive potting mixes
- Make compost and explain how you made it.
- Learn how to identify plants effectively.
- Explain step by step how you would go about planting shrubs in your own locality.
- Explain how to transplant and transport plants from one propertyu to another.
- Determine the tools required to do gardening for a property, using a limited supply of money.
- Explain characteristics of soil, including: Soil Structure, pH and Nutrient Deficiency
- Describe how to fertilize a lawn
- Explain how to improve drainage in a soil that is too wet for plants to do well in.
- Explain how you would improve a specified soil
- Identify a nutrient deficiency
- Observe and identify different categories of pest and disease problems in growing plants.
- Compile a weed collection with pressings or illustrations of different weeds
- Compile a plant collection with pressings or illustrations of different weeds
- Describe how environmental problems affect plants
- Recommend ways of controlling different types opf problems in plants, using both natural and chemical.
- Observe and evaluate different types of gardens.
- Survey a garden in order to prepare a garden design.
- Apply a systematic procedure to landscape design, in order to produce a concept plan for a garden.
- Explain mistakes have you observe in the design and construction of different rockeries
- Build a simple cold frame and us it to propagate plants.
- Prepare propagating mix which would be suitable for striking most types of cuttings.
- Propagate different plants from cuttings.
- Prepare a plan for sowing annual flower seedlings over a 12 month period.
- Evaluate and explain a lawn seed mix from the packaging of that mix
- Observe different lawns and recommend their treatment
- Explain how to establish a lawn
- Observe and evaluate the condition of different indoor plants.
- Recommend the treatment of different indoor plants.
- Prepare lists of indoor plants for different applications.
- Find an indoor plant which needs potting up & pot it up.
- Plant a vegetable patch.
- List fruit, nuts & berries most suited for growing in your locality
- Observe the way in which herbs are used commercially (eg. in medicine, cooking etc)
- Explain why crop rotation is used in growing vegetables?
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- ADL Ebook where relevant
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice