Hi What is the qualification and will it get me apprenticeship interview? Thank you paul
Thank you for getting in touch.
If you want to work in sheep husbandry, then it stands to reason that an employer will seriously consider interviewing you, if you have acquired the knowledge and skills to do the job beforehand. Employers like applicants with a desire for the job and how better to show this than to already have a qualification in Sheep Husbandry?
If you select study option A when enrolling, your certificate will be endorsed and issued by an Ofqual Recognised Awarding Organisation, the status of which can be checked on the Ofqual Register. You need only put their recognition number on your CV along with details of your qualification.
I hope that this is helpful Paul.
Hi What's the qualification and any exams? Thank you Paul
Hello Paul and thank you for getting in touch.
The course carries a level 4 qualification, but it is important for you to know that what you learn in the course is more important, because it is what you know that will help you to stand out from other people, with qualifications in the same field.
Lessons for each course (or module when multiple courses are taken in a Diploma for example), begin with a set aim plus background reading of the notes that provide a foundation for each lesson. During the reading, you will complete an enjoyable multiple choice answers based self-test, to help you to remember what you have read so far. You will then undertake a set task that may include further research, networking, problem solving, or looking at things from different perspectives. After this, you will submit a written assignment, which is marked and graded by your tutor and then sent back to you with any helpful and relevant comments. Finally, once you have completed all the lessons and assignments, there will be one final one-and-a-half hour exam, taken at a time and place of your choosing. This experientially based teaching method will help you to learn in three important ways; by reading, researching and reporting (ADL's three "R"s).
Our courses aim to give you an education that will serve you for life; they are not designed to be a "fast track" qualification where you study, pass an exam and then forget what you learnt. They will not only present you with information, but also guide you through a series of experiences that will improve your ability to understand, communicate, solve problems and continue expanding your knowledge and skills within your discipline of study. Therefore, by the end of the course, you should have a sound understanding of everything that the course teaches, plus more and a solid foundation from which to build or enhance your career prospects.
Please look at our Testimonials page, to see what previous students have done with their qualification from us, as this will help you decide how well our courses and qualifications are received in the work place and at universities.
Ask a question
Sheep 100 Hours Certificate Course
Sheep farming course online. Home Study - Distance Learning - Sheep. Equip yourself with a comprehensive knowledge of sheep farming. In this course you will learn a broad range of topics, including: Breeds, Selection and Breeding, Nutrition, Diseases, General Management of a Commercial Flock, Care of the Lamb, Wool and the Marketing of Sheep and Sheep Products. A thorough and practical online course.
Learning Goals: Sheep BAG210
- Select appropriate breeds of sheep for different purposes
- Select sheep to be used for different production purposes and explain the techniques used in sheep commercial breeding
- Explain the procedures used in managing the health of sheep (Nutrition)
- Explain common diseases affecting sheep and the procedures used in managing the health of sheep
- Explain the techniques used in the management of a commercial flock of sheep
- To describe practices related to caring for lambs
- Explain the processes involved in handling wool after shearing
- Explain the techniques used in managing the marketing of sheep and sheep products
Lesson Structure: Sheep BAG210
There are 8 lessons:
1 Introduction; Terminology and Breeds
- Factors affecting the choice of breed
- Product and Market
- Rearing and Management System
- Overview of Sheep Breeds
- Sheep Terminology
2 Selection and Breeding
- Growth Rate
- Reproductive Efficiency
- Carcass quality
- Wool traits
- Culling old ewes
- Selecting replacement ewes
- Selecting replacement rams
- Commercial Sheep Production
- Choosing a lambing time
- Autumn lambing
- Spring lambing
- Accelerated lambing
- Managing ewes prior to mating
- Using hormones to control reproduction
- Joining methods
- Anatomy of ewe reproductive organs
- Anatomy of ram reproductive organs
- Signs of lambing
3 Nutrition of Sheep
- Condition scoring
- When to condition score
- Factors affecting feed requirements
- Feeding rams
- Feeding ewes
- Feeding lambs and fatteners
- Nutrition and wool production
4 Diseases of Sheep
- Viral and rickettsial diseases
- Bacterial diseases
- Metabolic diseases
- Protozoal diseases
- The medicine chest
- Giving injections
- Disease prevention through sound management
5 General Management of a Commercial Flock
- Handling and treatment facilities
- Hoof Trimming
- Tail docking
- Blowfly strike
6 Care of the Lamb
- Abnormal Presentation
- Presentation: One front leg back
- Presentation: Both front legs back
- Presentation: Hind legs first
- Presentation: Head back, both front feet forward
- Presentation: Breech or tail first
- Presentation: Twin lambs presented together
- Post lambing care
- Rearing orphan lambs
- Lambing records
- Managing the fattening lamb
- Lamb marking
- Characteristics of wool
- Types of wool
- Wool classing
- Wool processing
- Factors influencing the estimation of yield
- Piece Picking
- Wool Scouring
8 The Marketing of Sheep and Sheep Products
- Wool sales
- Sale by private treaty
- The auction system
- Wool futures
- Industry regulatory and marketing authorities
- Lamb and mutton marketing: Paddock sale, Saleyard auction, Over-the-hook sale
- Electronic Marketing, Live Sheep exports, Forward price contracts
- Factors affecting the value of lamb or mutton: Carcass weight, Skin value, Payment basis (hot or cold weight) etc
Each lesson culminates in an assignment which is submitted to the school, marked by the school's tutors and returned to you with any relevant suggestions, comments, and if necessary, extra reading.
- Collect information about different sheep breeds which are being farmed or could be successfully farmed in your region.
- Compare the different characteristics of sheep breeds in terms of appearance, hardiness, commercial potential.
- Select breeds for three different purposes, including wool production and meat production, in your locality.
- Inspect at least two sheep, ideally, from separate flocks, and determine their age by looking in their mouths.
- Define the following different sheep breeding terms: Oestrus, Gestation, Weaning, Flushing, Wet ewes, Teasers.
- Design a "breeding record form" which includes all necessary factors.
- List criteria to be used for selecting sheep for different purposes, including for replacement and for slaughter.
- Develop a standard form, which considers both meat and wool, to use for judging sheep.
- Talk to at least two experienced sheep farmers about "condition scoring" of sheep.
- Compare the differences in food required by different types of sheep, including: rams; breeding ewes at different stages of pregnancy; sheep being fattened for meat.
- Prepare a collection of ten pasture plant species from at least two different sheep properties and comment on the suitability of the pasture for sheep.
- Distinguish between the different categories of sheep health problems, including: viral, bacterial, metabolic, protozoal, poisoning, parasites.
- Describe how to perform different pest and disease control tasks, including: drenching, injecting, hoof trimming, docking.
Sheep are an important agricultural livestock that are bred for meat and wool worldwide. Careful and informed management of your flock will ensure increased productivity and efficiency. Aimed at professional and amateur graziers, the course provides you with the knowledge to run your sheep effectively and productively and will help you to develop your ability to independently analyse and make decisions about the management requirements of sheep.
The course offers you the chance to understand more about the care and management of sheep. It covers a diverse range of topics relating to sheep such as: breeds; selection and breeding; nutrition; diseases of sheep; commercial flock management; lamb care; wool ;and the marketing of sheep and sheep products.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 10 - U.S. Credit Hours: 3 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
Sheep 100 Hours Certificate Course
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....