Turf Care Management 400 Hours Advanced Certificate Course
Ask a question
Turf Care Management 400 Hours Advanced Certificate Course
Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management course online. This comprehensive 400 hour course is designed to meet employers' needs in a variety of turf care areas, including general turf care for parks, grounds, gardens and open spaces etc., plus private or council run golf courses, bowling greens, cricket, football pitches. lawn tennis courts and anywhere sports turf professionals are required.
Become skilled at knowing your turf grasses and successfully managing turf for the enjoyment of others.
When you go to a park, have you ever wondered how the grass is maintained to keep its lushness? When you watch football, cricket, or lawn tennis on the television, have you ever considered the amount of punishment that the turf has to take and the challenges for those charged with keeping the playing surface in peak condition? In all areas of turf care management, from selecting the appropriate turf grass, to maintenance, renovation and repair, suitably skilled professionals help to provide all this and more.
There are four areas of expertise covered:
Turf Care provides an extensive introduction to the identification, selection, culture and management of turf for commercial, recreational or home use. Taking approximately 100 hours to complete, it lays the ground work (no pun intended) in providing the basic principles in turf care, for both general lawn and sports turf environments.
Sports Turf Management assumes a basic knowledge of turf care and from there develops an ability to manage the maintenance of sports turf. It is relevant to the maintenance of all sports turf applications such as: golf courses, bowling clubs, playing fields, cricket wickets and other sporting facilities.
Turf Repair and Renovation helps to develop the skills to diagnose and efficiently treat turf problems, renovate old lawns and replace old turf.
Turf Grasses teaches the characteristics of the most popular turf grasses and where to employ them in the garden, in nature parks, in sport and in the green infrastructure of towns and cities etc. It is ideal for all gardeners and horticulturists who need to have a variety of turf establishment solutions at their disposal.
Learning Goals: Advanced Certificate In Turf Care Management VHT022
- Determine the range of grasses and other species available for turf culture (Part A)
- Determine the range of grasses and other species available for turf culture (Part B)
- Determine appropriate procedures to establish turf
- Explain the management of soils for growing different types of turf
- Explain the weed management of turfExplain the management of problems, including pests and diseases, in turf
- Determine general maintenance practices used in turf management
- Determine irrigation maintenance practices used in turf management
- Plan the development of different sports turf areas
- Develop management strategies for the care of established turf
- Develop plans to establish ornamental turf
- Select turf varieties to suit different sports surface requirements; including different climates & soil types.
- Select turf varieties to suit different sports surfaces (eg. lawn bowls, fairways, greens, league football, cricket)
- Identify turf blends, their application and reason for use.
- Explain alternative procedures for sports turf maintenance, used for different types of facilities.
- Explain specific wear problems and solutions for the five types of turf facilities
- Evaluate procedures being used to maintain different types of facilities.
- Determine the resources required to maintain a selected sports turf.
- Develop management plans for different types of sports turf facilities.
- Explain the management of a turf nursery to produce a reliable supply of sod.
- Explain the irrigation and drainage requirements for sports turf fields and lots more.
- Compare the characteristics of different turfs with reference to hardiness, pest & disease resistance, tolerance to play, suitability for different applications, etc
- Explain different turf problems (including; soil problems, pest & disease weed, environmental, etc)
- Explain the effect of various adverse situations on the physiology of turf plants.
- Carry out turf consultancy, conducting site inspections and giving appropriate recommendations.
- Develop solutions for the repair of damaged turf.
- Identify the cause of deteriorating condition in a selected turf
- Explain different repair techniques for control of problems identified.
- Compare different solutions for the problem identified.
- Develop turf renovation programs for different types of turf facilities
- Compare renovation programs for different turf facilities
- Identify when renovation becomes economically prudent for different facilities and lots more.
- Recognise the characteristics that differentiate turf grass cultivars one from another, in order to make choices about what cultivars are appropriate for different turf applications.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of Fescue grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of Bent grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of Rye grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of Blue grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of Couch grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and use of Buffalo and Zoysia grasses.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of various warm condition grasses as a turf.
- Describe the characteristics, culture and uses of various cool condition grasses as a turf.
- Explain the dynamics at play when different varieties of turf grass grow together.
Lesson Structure: Advanced Certificate In Turf Care VHT022
Click on the individual course links for a detailed breakdown of what each lesson covers
- Introduction - Turf Varieties
- Turf Grass Physiology
- Turf Establishment
- Turf Weed Problems
- Turf Pests & Diseases
- Turf Maintenance Techniques
- Irrigation - An Overview
- Playing Fields & Bowling Greens
- Managing Established Turf
- Establishing Ornamental Turf
- Turf Variety Selection
- Cultivation Techniques
- Preparing for Play on Sports grounds
- Preparing for Play of Greens
- Turf Protection & Preservation
- Irrigation & Drainage
- Soil Treatment & Sprays
- Evaluate Maintenance Facilities
- Develop a Management Plan
- Understanding Turf Deterioration
- Repair & Renovation Equipment
- Turf Cultivation Techniques
- Health Improvement Techniques
- Optimising Turf Usage
- Replacing Damaged Turf
- Renovation of Degraded Turf
- Eradicating Turf Weeds
- Treating Aeration & Drainage Problems
- Managing a Turf Nursery
- Couch grasses
- Buffalo and Zoysia Grasses
- Other Warm Condition Grasses
- Other Cool Condition Grasses
- Turf grass Mixes
Note: each module in this Advanced Certificate is a certificate in its own right, and may be studied separately.
|How Do Our Tuition Fees Compare?||Full time classroom based Further Education Courses - Approx. £5,000 per year - Part-time classroom based Adult Education Courses - Approx. £7.00 per hour - N.B. classroom tuition means you learn at the pace of the class. One-to-one private tuition - from £15.00 per hour - ADL one-to-one tution fees - From £340 per 100 Hour Course = Average of £3.40 per hour - N.B. one-to-one tuition is tailored to your own individual learning availability and pace.|
|Course Start||Begin your learning at any time.|
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments and final evaluation per course/module to be taken.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||Certificate of Attainment from ADL - Completed written assignments only - no final evaluation.|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 40 - U.S. Credit Hours: 12 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||Course hours given are a guide only. You will be encouraged to work at your own pace to learn as much as you can, with no assignment deadlines or end date by which you must complete your course by. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the Moodle online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed. They will also mark and grade your assignments, plus provide constructive and helpful feedback vital to your success.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Doing the job right using the correct knowledge and skills, leads to repeat business and referrals to friends, family and work colleagues. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to achieve this and grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. If you can demonstrate that you have the level of knowledge and transferable skills necessary to an employer, you should stand out from someone who has only received a superficial understanding of what's required - Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||As you will see on our Testimonials page, previous students have used their qualification from us to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience. We can approach up to three universities on your behalf with details of our course before you enrol, so you will know whether it will be accepted as part of their application process. Please complete our contact form and we will begin the process.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Our Advanced Certificates (4 courses), Diplomas (6 courses), Advanced Diplomas (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diplomas (12 courses), are used to differentiate between the in-depth knowledge and skills you will acquire in your chosen area of study. e.g. Advanced Certificate in Turf Care Management, which includes individual courses: Turf Care, Sports Turf Care, Turf Repair and Renovation and Turf Grasses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online by selecting your study option, learning materials, plus payment option and then clicking the Enrol Now button - By contacting us for an application form - By telephoning us on 01227 789 649 (International: 0044 1227 789 649). Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....