Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management
Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management 600 Hours Diploma
Learn About Applied Garden Centre and Nursery Management
Diploma in Applied Management (Garden Centre and Nursery) course online. Learn the skills necessary to manage a retail garden centre or nursery. This course develops both skills required to manage a retail business and knowledge in identification, care and handling of plants and other products sold in garden centres and nurseries. It is aimed at those with one year’s experience in a horticultural related industry, wanting to step up to assistant manager, deputy manager and manager positions.
Among other attributes, mostpositions for garden centre and nursery assistant managers and managers will ask for the following:
- 1 to 2 years horticultural experience
- Supervisory experience and/or a qualification in a horticultural subject
- Good plant knowledge
- Excellent people skills and the ability to motivate others
- Accomplished communication and customer service expertise
- The ability to display and merchandise products
- Competence to create a safe working environment for staff andto ensure they adhere to health and safety laws
Applications for managerial positions in garden centres and nurseries are likely to be very competitive. Many job applicants will have many of the required attributes, so how can an employer differentiate between one interviewee and another? Theanswer is that they will test the depth of each applicant’s knowledge and transferable skills against what they need. Bycompleting this Diploma in Applied Management for Garden Centres and Nurseries, developed and improved over 25+ years, you can standhead and shoulders above the competition. Not only will you be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of garden centre or nursery management or both, you will also be showing a potential employer that you have taken control of your own professional development, to achieve your career goals.
There are two core (compulsory) modules in this online course, studied via distance learning, followed by a choice between Garden Centre Management and Wholesale Nursery. Finally, there are three elective modules, chosen tobest suit your educational needs and requirements. For those who would like to study both Garden Centre Management and Wholesale Nursery Management, you can also choose the one not taken as your selective option as an elective module.
Lesson Structure: Diploma In Applied Management (Garden Centre and Nursery) VBS001
Core Modules: Both modules to be completed
- Your ability to manage a business can make a huge difference to your success in horticulture. In this course, you will learn to the business side of horticulture, including how to plan and implement effective strategies for your business and/or services. This is a module in the Royal Horticultural Societys Master of Horticulture.More….
- Apply horticultural basics to all situations. Gain a broad technical grounding in horticultural principles and practice. The ideal course for the beginner, this is a basic, yet thoroughly practical course. Each lesson involves plant identification. This module has been written to teach horticulture in a way relevant to all parts of the world. It puts aside regional techniques, and tries to teach you principles and concepts which can be applied to anywhere. More….
Selective Modules: Choose either option 1 or option 2
- Achieve excellence in your garden centre! Designed in 1986, in conjunction with the state garden department manager of a major retail chain store; this course has been very successful in training both staff and managers of retail nurseries and garden centres. It was thoroughly updated recently by horticultural professionals in both Australia and the U.K. to be relevant to countries around the world. More….
- Learn to produce great plants in a commercially successful way. Managing a production nursery involves more than just propagating and potting up plants. Even the small nursery must be able to not only produce plants, but do it at a predetermined cost, then sustain those plants before and during marketing. More….
Elective Modules: Three to be completed
- Learn to communicate successfully! This course improves your ability to communicate in all situations. You learn to write and speak more fluently. Behaviour, visual communications, language, public speaking, conducting meetings, writing letters and reports, communications technology, and lots more are covered. More….
- Achieve excellence in your garden centre! Designed in 1986, in conjunction with the state garden department manager of a major retail chain store; this course has been very successful in training both staff and managers of retail nurseries and garden centres. It was thoroughly updated recently by horticultural professionals in both Australia and the U.K. to be relevant to countries around the world.More….
- Extend your horticultural knowledge! Learn to identify, care and use of plants in a systematic way. Plant knowledge learnt here is in high demand in the horticulture industry. It is something prized by employers, but all too often minimized in modern courses due to financial constraints. More….
- Achieve high standards of plant health! Learn with this practical course to identify and control pest and diseases in plants, to maintain high standards of plant health, in your business or at home. Develop with this course a deep understanding of plant health, the systematic identification of health problems in plants and the techniques for control of those problems. More….
- The ability to manage staff is pivotal in any enterprise (commercial or public); and in a society where law is becoming increasingly complex; the modern horticultural manager also needs to have a firm understanding of basic legal practice. This course focuses on building your capacity to manage staff and legal aspects within the horticultural enterprise. You’ll learn the to study the Legal, Contractual and Staff Management necessary for the successful running of a Horticultural Enterprise. More….
- Understand marketing in the horticultural industry. In any business, including horticulture, success depends upon good marketing of your product. This subject covers the theoretical and practical importance of marketing in the horticultural industry, including topics such as advertising, promotions, signs, customer relations, pricing strategy, labeling, transport, product presentation, etc. More….
- Understand and manage a horticultural business or enterprise. Help your business thrive with this home study resource management course! Resource management for successful horticulture businesses. Planning for efficient and economical management in horticulture includes such things as work procedures and programming, budgeting and staff supervision. More….
- This Hydroponic course is suitable for: hydroponic shop managers and staff and hydroponic equipment and materials manufacturers and suppliers. For garden centre and nursery managers, it represents an opportunity to gain knowledge in a growth industry, which could help drive sales up. More….
- Understand how psychology works in industry. By understanding the thought processes that take place in the minds of people at work, a manager or supervisor can develop empathy for their staff, and apply this empathy to the way they manage the workplace. Learn about: workplace conditions, effects of management, motivation and incentives, social effects, psychological conditions, recruitment etc. More….
- Develop and expand your leadership skills! Leadership skills are needed in all facets of our society: business, politics, religion, youth services, and leisure industries, to mention only some. This new course is relevant to all of those areas, developing your understanding of, and capacity to apply leadership skills. More….
- Online course for Managers. this course will help you develop the skills necessary to be a manager. Explore theories and procedures, problem solving and decision making tactics.Study staff management, organisation management, ethics etc. Developed by professionals with substantial industry experience, this is the perfect foundation for any successful career in private or public enterprise. More….
- Learn to understand what motivates and drives people in any area of life. A motivated person works better, lives a more satisfied lfe and are generally healthier and happier. The same applies to a Motivated employees who drive the success of a business. Learn how to get the best of employees by understanding more about this fascinating subject. More….
- This course will take you from developing a strong personality (confidence and knowledge) through to communication, marketing, dealing with upper management, getting to know your product, the A B C of selling, the opening and closing or a sale, stress management, how to increase your company’s profits, etc. More….
- Learn to produce great plants in a commercially successful way. Managing a production nursery involves more than just propagating and potting up plants. Even the small nursery must be able to not only produce plants, but do it at a predetermined cost, then sustain those plants before and during marketing.More….
- Learning to recognise potentially dangerous situations can mean the avoidance of litigation, work disruption, and significant, unnecessary costs. Make sure that an accident that could have been avoided is not the reason your business fails. This course was developed by highly qualified professionals, who have years of experience in industry. More….
Please see lesson titles for your learning goals.
Practical (Set Tasks)
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
What your tuition fees include
- All Course Material via Online, USB or Correspondence
- Assignments Marked
- Professional Tutor Feedback
- Set Tasks - Practical Exercises to help you develop skills
- Self-Tests – multiple choice questions at the end of lessons in most modules
- Unlimited Personal Tutor Support – via our student classroom
- Committed and Friendly Admin Support – vital to your success
- ADL Ebook where relevant
- All ADL Exam or Project fees (exception RHS exams)
- Qualification Certificate
- Official Transcript with assignment grades
- Student Manual
- Academic Writing course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Critical Thinking course (optional - 10 hours only)
- Job Seekers Careers Guide
- Study Tips on How To Study Better
- Career Counselling by ADL Staff
- CV Writing Help, Tips and Advice