Agriculture (Crops) 800 Hours Advanced Diploma
I am interested in the Advanced Diploma in Agriculture (Crops). I live in South Africa and have a Certificate in Short Term Insurance(Level 4), a Certificate in Wealth Planning(Level 5), a National Diploma in Agriculture(Level 6) and a Masters in Business Administration (MBA)(Level 8). 1. Will I be able to apply study knowledge from your diploma in the South African farming environment? 2. Will I get any credit for my existing qualifications mentioned here above? And have less subjects to take for your qualification? 3. If I enroll for the different subjects one by one and complete all, will I still qualify for the Advanced Diploma in the end? Kind regards.
Thank you for getting in touch.
Your first and third questions are easy to answer, so I will deal with those first.
Our courses are designed to be applicable to wherever you are in the world. Each lesson starts with background reading on the general principles and is followed by a set task or tasks, which is targeted to your own geographical area and circumstances. Your written assignments will be based on the reading and the set tasks. Therefore, you will be learning the basics, plus what is applicable to South Africa and how to apply it.
You can certainly take one course at a time and still gain your Advanced Diploma, once you have completed 8 modules.
Your second question is a little more difficult. From the qualifications you already have, we can look at recognition to prior learning, but I am not sure if this is right for you. It may be better for you to create your own diploma or advanced diploma, by completing courses that will compliment and enhance the skills you already have.
I would advise that you look at what you already know and choose courses which cover areas you need to know about, but don't have the specialist skills for at the moment. For example, you may feel you need to do a course just on sheep, organic farming, agronomy, crop protection etc. You can bundle up all the courses that you need to complete into extended courses. 4 courses will give you an advanced certificate, 6 a diploma, 8 an advanced diploma and 12 a higher advanced diploma.
I hope that this is helpful.
Ask a question
Agriculture (Crops) 800 Hours Advanced Diploma
Advanced Diploma in Agriculture (Crops) course online. This course includes four compulsory units, plus elective, crop farming specific modules.
The Advanced Diploma in Agriculture is a 900 hour course comprising of 8 x 100 hour Certificate modules and a 100 hour workplace project. Click on each module to view detailed outlines of what you will learn in each module.
The compulsory core modules will give you a solid foundation in Agricultural Marketing Skills, Farm Management, Irrigation and Soil Management. After you have completed the core elements, you will be able to choose 4 modules from a choice of 18 specialised courses, including: Agronomy, Berry Production, Commercial Organic Vegetable Growing, Commercial Vegetable Production, Cut Flower Production, Engineering I, Fruit Production - Temperate, Fruit Production - Warm Climate, Green Walls and Roofs, Herb Culture, Nut Production, Nut Production - Warm Climate, Organic Farming, Outdoor Crops Production, Sustainable Agriculture, Viticulture, Water Conservation & Management and Weed Control.
Please Note: that each module is a certificate in its own right, and may be studied separately. Click on each module to see a more in-depth description of what each course will teach you.
Lesson Structure: Advanced Diploma In Agriculture (Livestock) VAG020
There are 8 Modules
Your 3 Compulsory Modules plus workplace project are:
- This course develops your ability to analyse and manage marketing problems in an agricultural enterprise. Topics covered include: market research, management of your marketing, promotions, handling produce, packaging, distribution, customer relations and more. More....
- Learn successful management of farming business through this Distance Learning Course. Animal rearing and crop production are only part of the picture in successful farming good management skills are also vital. So a team of experts from the UK and Australia were enlisted, under the leadership of renowned horticulturalist John Mason to develop this course. You will learn how to analyse, diagnose and make management decisions related to a farm business. A thorough and comprehensive Online course in farm management. More....
- An online course that covers the design, installation, maintenance, operation and evaluation of simple irrigation systems. This online course focuses on irrigation systems for row crops (eg. vegetables & cut flowers) and orchards. If your interest is in growing row crops, then this course will help you understand the methods needed for irrigating them. More....
Or for larger farms, the following course can be taken instead:
- Learn to develop skills in the design and operation of large scale irrigation systems for agriculture. This Irrigation Management distance learning course is an extension of the skills and knowledge achieved in Irrigation (Agricultural) BAG213 or an equivalent course. Students learn to develop their ability to participate in the design and operation of large scale irrigation systems for agricultural applications. More....
- Treat your soil and grow great plants! Good soil conditions are critical to the healthy growth of most plants. Develop an understanding of physical & chemical properties of soils, carry out simple tests to determine soil characteristics, learn ways of treating soil to grow plants. Specifically designed for ornamental gardens, landscaping, container growing, and turf situations. More...
Plus Relevant Work Experience 100 Hours *
Then Choose 4 Modules From The 18 Listed Below:
Agronomy offers many job opportunities. Demand for agronomists is strong; whether as a farmer, farm employer or providing technical support or marketing services in the agriculture sector. Learn the principles and practices that underpin commercial broad acre crop production (agronomy) and develop an ability to interpret and apply information practically, on a farm. Complement your farming studies or experience and seek employment in the highly sought after field of agronomy! More...
Berry fruits are popular the world over. Some berries are grown widely, in different climates and countries (eg. strawberries), whilst others might be popular in some regions but not others. This course provides a sound broad based training for commercial growers and/or staff of berry farms. It is equally relevant to the enthusiast hobby grower who wants to get more serious about growing berry fruits. More....
Successfully farm organic vegetables! The demand for organically grown vegetables is currently a major growth area in commercial horticulture. This course is a good starting point in learning all aspects of organic vegetable production. More....
Learn about growing crops of vegetables in a productive way with these steps. Learning the importance of soils, cultural practices and pest and disease management is a great way to get optimum crop production. More....
Cut Flower Production (BHT221)
Learn the skills necesary to become a commercial cut flower grower. Cut flower growing has experienced rapid expansion in recent decades, resulting in increased demand for training in the skills and knowledge required by this industry in increasingly affluent countries. This course provides a thorough basic training for the commercial cut flower grower. More....
Keep your tools and machinery in perfect working order always! This course gives you the knowledge and develops your ability to independently manage the selection, operation and maintenance of tools and machinery used in professional gardening, agriculture and horticulture. More....
This course is ideal for anyone serious about fruit growing; from the small hobby farmer to orchard worker, or enthusiastic amateur who aspires to win first prize for their fruit at the local garden show. More....
Expand you understanding of tropical and sub tropical fruit growing. Similar to the temperate fruit course, but adapted to cover tropical and sub-tropical conditions. The course includes sections on Avocados, Pineapples, Macadamias, Paw Paws and Cashews. More....
Discover and learn how to develop appropriate and functional roof and vertical gardens, for residential, commercial and public landscapes. This outstanding online course will help you create the Green Walls and Roofs that you thought where impossible to build. There are lots of different reasons for creating a vertical garden or roof garden, and the way you develop the garden may be affected by the reason you create it. Common reasons might be: Lack of space for a more extensive garden Improve aesthetics of an ugly place (wall or roof) Improve physical environment (eg. Reduce glare, modify temperature, filter air pollutants, reduce water run off and mitigate flood problems) Urban farming – growing crops in an urban area. More....
.Develop a solid grounding in herb growing and the herb industry. Half of the course deals with general herb culture, including identification, soils, mulching, feeding, watering, propagation, pest & disease control, harvest, storage, processing, companion planting, nursery management and herb farming. The remainder of the course involves detailed studies of major groups of herbs such as: mints, thymes, lavenders, scented geraniums, garlic, roses, artemisias and parsley. More....
Learn How to identify and Grow a Wide Range of Edible Nuts. You'll learn from professional university trained horticulturists with decades of industry experience and build networks within industry and discover opportunities for commercial production or self sufficiency. More....
Learn to grow nuts in tropical and sub-tropical areas. The content of this course is very similar to the "Growing Nuts" course, except this deals exclusively with nuts grown in the tropics and sub-tropics.More....
Organic Farming BAG305
Become a successful organic farmer! Organic farming has been growing in popularity, with farmers adopting it for economic, ethical or sustainability reasons there is no doubt that this method of farming is set to stay. This distance learning course will teach you to manage both plant and animal production in a natural and environmentally responsible way. You will develop a solid foundation knowledge in how to set up an organic farm, or convert an existing farm to organic practices. More....
A broad grounding in producing outdoor plants. Ten lessons cover site, crop selection, soil management, cut flowers, vegetables, berries, nuts, herbs, tree fruits, other crops, managing a market garden and other similar work places. More.....
Sustainable Agriculture (BAG215)
Improve the sustainability of your farm. You will learn techniques and measures to move your farm towards greater sustainability. Increasing sustainability can be simple (for example changing what is farmed or how produce is marketed) or require more major changes in farm management practices. Gain useful and practical knowledge to improve sustainability in this comprehensive online course. More....
Learn the techniques and become a successful Vitculturalist. This course will help you develop an ability to select and cultivate appropriate varieties of grapes in different situations, and provide the knowledge to make informed decisions about the management of a vineyard. There are ten lessons covering the history of viticulture, the current state of the industry, wine and table grapes, dried grapes, cultural practices (trellising, soils, planting, pruning, irrigation, pests & diseases); vineyard design, improving quality, harvest & post harvest procedures, wine-making, plus marketing. More....
Develop and learn how to design, implement and assess water management plans and procedures. Understand how water resources,the use and application of water conservation measures in different contexts. Improve your capacity to design, implement and assess water management plans and procedures. This home study course will help you understand why water is the most important resource in order to sustain life. All living organisms need water to survive. This course will teach you how to conserve this precious resource in various situations from the home environment to industry. Lesson cover water conservation at home, in the workplace, water management, conservation in primary production I & II, health, recycling etc. More....
There are many different ways of controlling weeds, and literally thousands of different weed species which might need controlling. It is always important to use the appropriate treatment for the weed(s) in question. Young weeds are far easier to control than older ones. Some chemicals, for instance will effectively kill certain weeds when they are in the early stages of growth, but will not control other types of weeds. You may need to be able to distinguish between types of weeds to determine whether the chemical will or won't work. More....
What Makes This Diploma Different?
- It is written and updated by Industry Relevant Professionals and covers what employers are looking for, not unrelated professional course writers keeping to a "minimum " standard.
- There is a choice of electives not found in similar Diplomas or other institutions of learning.
- It is more in-depth than can be found at other colleges.You'll learn more and develop skills in helping you further your business and career goals.
- Learning and knowledge is the focus of this course – our belief is that what you learn is what makes the difference.
- You will get unlimited support throughout your studies from Industry experienced tutors, with relevant qualifications and at least 5 years experience of working in their field.
- It is respected by Employers because it teaches what they want you to know.
Why Take This Diploma?
- As world populations grow, so to does the need for food, meaning once you have completed the Diploma, you will have knowledge and skills that are in global demand.
- "Knowledge is Power". You will be able to demonstrate a solid understanding of what you have learned to existing and potential employers and how to apply it to the real world.
- It will help you to stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs. Don't think that employers are only interested in degrees; they're not. Many may view degrees as only teaching the theory, not the transferable skills they are looking for. Our Diploma will teach you those important transferable skills.
- You can choose the elective modules that will improve your areas of expertise in the subject you believe is in your employers or your best interests.
- You can study the Diploma at your own pace and complete it around your existing work commitments, meaning that you don't have to take time out to do your continuing professional development (CPD).
|Course Prerequisite||None - Our course levels are an indication of the depth of learning you should receive. They do not describe the level of difficulty.|
|Course Qualification (Study Option A)||Endorsed Qualification from TQUK - Training Qualifications UK, an Ofqual Approved Awarding Organisation - Completed written assignments, plus final exam (N.B. Some courses have Final Project alternative).|
|Course Qualification (Study Option B)||N/A|
|Comparative Credits Information||UK Course Credits: 80 - U.S. Credit Hours: 24 - when compared to regulated courses.|
|Course Duration and Deadlines||800 hours approx. Course hours given are a guide only. Work at your own pace with no assignment deadlines or completion date. You are in control!|
|Study Support||Personal tutor/mentor support from industry relevant professionals throughout your whole course. Mentors are contactable by e-mail, telephone and through the online classroom. They provide assistance with your course material, plus discuss, explain and give advice when needed.|
|Suitability for Self Employment and Small Businesses||Our courses are ideal for sole traders and small business owners and their staff. Customer confidence in what you can do will determine how successful you are in getting clients. Completing one or more of our courses for the service you have to offer, will give you the tools to grow your business.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Employers||We aim to achieve the correct balance between your qualification being recognised and providing you with the in-depth learning, to empower you to succeed. Select study option A when enrolling, so an employer can check the status of the awarding organisation for your qualification on the Ofqual Register.|
|Recognition of Your Course By Universities||Previous students have used their qualification to get into university. However each one will have its own entrance criteria and acceptance may also depend on your other qualifications and experience.|
|Designing Your Own Qualification||Bundle up your choice of related courses to form your own qualification. Choose from a Diploma (6 courses), Advanced Diploma (8 courses) and Higher Advanced Diploma (12 courses.|
|How Can I Enrol?||Online via eCommerce, by completing our Online Application Form, or by calling us on +44 (0) 1227 789 649. Lines open 9am till 5pm Monday to Friday, excluding Bank Holidays and between Christmas and New Year.|
|How Can I Get a Pro-forma Invoice for my Employer?||Contact us with details and we will email your employer an invoice. We will need: employer's name, address, telephone number, email address and contact name. We will also require your name, telephone number, email address, date of birth and the course and code you wish to enrol for.|
"Fantastic Teacher. Well organised modules. Assignments force me to learn and research more so I can prepare well for exams. I really enjoyed studying via ADL. I can now continue study at Ulster University which accept my certificate from ADL". Level 4, Advanced Certificate in Applied Science, VSC001, Stanislawa, Poland.
Its with great pleasure I am announcing you my new job as 'Park Manager' for a 5 star hotel in Reunion Island. Its definitely my courses with ADL (Botany, Agronomy and Trees for Rehabilitation) which were decisive for my nomination. Accordingly, my sincere thanks goes to all the ADL team.
"The course was a valuable learning experience as it provided me with the knowledge and understanding for me as a Careers Advisor. The feedback was very good from my tutor, and allowed me to build upon my assignments that were marked. The comments were very informative and very useful. Well written course material." Andrew W, Careers Counselling, UKMore Reviews....