Call us: +44 (0)1227 789 649 - Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm
Agriculture (Alternative Farming)
Agriculture (Alternative Farming) 1200 Hours Higher Advanced Diploma
Learn About Agriculture (Alternative Farming)
Alternative Agriculture Online Course
Enhance your green credentials, with this Alternative Agriculture Online course studied via distance learning from ADL
Alternative farming practices seek to reduce the amount of antibiotics, chemical pesticides and fertilizers used in agriculture and instead rely on more natural processes, such as nutrient cycles, nitrogen fixation and pest-predator relationships. Alternative agricultural techniques include:
- The rotation of crops
- The use of animal and ecologically friendly manures
- The use of tillage systems for both soil and water
- An integrated programme for protecting animals and crops from pests
- The use of genetically modified animals and crops
Many farmers are becoming more green in their approach to animal and crop production, wanting to reduce damage to the environment, so by completing this online course in Alternative Farming practices, that you study through distance learning, you will be able to offer them a great deal of expertise in environmentally friendly farming techniques. Don’t just get an agricultural qualification. Get one in Alternative Agriculture and be one step ahead of the field. In tandem with organic and sustainable agriculture, aquaponics and hydroponics, alternative agriculture goes beyond conventional or traditional farming practices, at the same time as using current practices that can still apply to a more environmentally sustainable way of doing things.
This is a very solid Online training program for people wishing to work in alternative areas of agriculture at a technician or management level – in positions such as a farm manager, technical representatives, trainers or consultants. Or for farmers wishing to step away from the out-dated, chemical-based farming systems.
In this course, you will be required to complete the compulsory modules, followed by stream modules chosen from the following alternative farming industries: Crop Production, Food and Dairy Production, Aquaculture and Aquaponics, plus Hydroponics. There will also be final elective modules to complete.
The 3 step module selection process is:
- Step 1: Complete six compulsory modules.
- Step 2: Select three stream modules from your chosen alternative agricultural industry: Animal and Dairy Production, Aquaculture and Aquaponics, Crop Production or Hydroponics.
- Step 3: Choose three modules to compliment your step 2 choices and own individual requirements.
There are four qualifications available for this course, depending on your stream choices:
- Higher Advanced Diploma in Alternative Farming (Livestock)
- Higher Advanced Diploma in Alternative Farming (Aquaculture and Aquaponics)
- Higher Advanced Diploma in Alternative Farming (Crops)
- Higher Advanced Diploma in Alternative Farming (Hydroponics)
Lesson Structure: Higher Advanced Diploma In Agriculture (Alternative Farming)
Step 1 – Complete the 6 compulsory modules listed below:
- Learn to design naturally inspired living systems. For people with prior experience in permaculture, this course is a more in-depth and academically advanced study of various aspects of permaculture. It covers sustainable systems, how to determine planning strategies for a site, seasonal patterns, water management, earthworks, considering different climates, and comprehensive planning including preparing costings. This will give you a sound background in all aspects of developing and running a permaculture system. Read more….
- Globally, changes in the chemical makeup of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere, are widely believed (if not actually proved) to be contributing to global warming. This has long term ramifications for people already living in drought areas or in places prone to flooding, plus the whole world, which will experience some degree of climate change as a consequence. Read more….
- Become a successful organic farmer! Organic farming has been growing in popularity, with farmers adopting it for economic, ethical or sustainability reasons there is no doubt that this method of farming is set to stay. This distance learning course will teach you to manage both plant and animal production in a natural and environmentally responsible way. You will develop a solid foundation knowledge in how to set up an organic farm, or convert an existing farm to organic practices. Read more….
- Improve the sustainability of your farm. You will learn techniques and measures to move your farm towards greater sustainability. Increasing sustainability can be simple (for example changing what is farmed or how produce is marketed) or require more major changes in farm management practices. Gain useful and practical knowledge to improve sustainability in this comprehensive online course. Read more….
- This project is based on applications in the work place and specifically aims to provide the student with the opportunity to apply and integrate skills and knowledge developed through various areas of formal study. If you work in the industry that you have been studying; you may submit a reference from your employer, in an effort to satisfy this industry (ie. workplace project) requirement; on the basis of RPL (ie. recognition for prior learning), achieved through your current and past work experience. Read more….
- Learning to recognise potentially dangerous situations can mean the avoidance of litigation, work disruption, and significant, unnecessary costs. Make sure that an accident that could have been avoided is not the reason your business fails. This course was developed by highly qualified professionals, who have years of experience in industry. Read more….
Step 2 – Now select 3 stream modules from those listed below that cover your chosen alternative farming industry:
Animal and Dairy Production
- Working with animals? Get back to basics! Gain a thorough foundational knowledge of animal anatomy and physiology. This is essential for careers requiring good animal care and management. An excellent starting point for working with animals in any situation (farms, pets, zoos, wildlife, animal protection). Learn at your own pace through distance learning. Read more….
- Develop your abilities to analyse and make decisions about the management requirements of beef cattle. This comprehensive distance learning course covers cattle breeds and breeding, diseases, feeding and nutrition. You will also develop your skills in management (including feedlot and stud herd management), economics and marketing. Read more….
- This course develops your ability to manage the rearing of calves for different agricultural purposes. It covers all aspects of calf rearing including Calf selection; Birth; Calf Diseases; Rearing Systems; Calf Housing, Weaning and Post Weaning. Read more….
- Learn to independently analyse and make decisions about the management requirements of dairy cattle: comparing dairy breeds, managing anything from one cow to a large herd, and producing dairy products (milk, cheese, cream butter etc). This is a very sound foundation course developed in collaboration with industry and by our team of experts (agricultural and animal scientists, veterinary surgeons etc). Read more….
- Want to care for animal health? Prefer to work naturally? This course is perfect for those who work, or would like to work, in the animal health care field and value a more holistic treatment approach. You will learn about the features and scope of natural therapies which can be used to treat animals and maintain their wellbeing. This online course will also teach you to recognise common signs of ill health and disease. Read more….
- Optimise your pasture. Pastures are critical to many types of farming and to both small and large yielding enterprises. Some farmers have been reported to have turned unprofitable farms into commercial successes by simply improving pasture. This online course will give you the skills to evaluate, design and make decisions about the management of pasture for different purposes. Read more….
- Gain a great understanding of pig production. Pig production can be highly sophisticated or unsophisticated. This course develops a better understanding of pig biology and production. You will cover and gain skills in a comprehensive range of topics, including: breeding and selection, feeding, diseases, managing the boar, sow and litter, fattening pigs, economics and records. Read more….
- A Certificate course where you’ll learn to successfully manage your poultry either for commercial or domestic purposes. This home study course will teach you to manage poultry on a small or large scale, and for production of eggs, meat or young birds. Read more….
- Equip yourself with a comprehensive knowledge of sheep farming. In this course, you will learn a broad range of topics, including: Breeds, Selection and Breeding, Nutrition, Diseases, General Management of a Commercial Flock, Care of the Lamb, Wool and the Marketing of Sheep and Sheep Products. A thorough and practical online course. Read more….
Aquaculture and Aquaponics
- Develop a capacity to develop and manage freshwater aquaculture enterprises. Aquaculture is the farming of water animals (eg. Fish, crustaceans) for human consumption. This course covers: water (e.g.source, purity, flow, temperature, dissolved oxygen), stocking rates, spawning, checking stock, stripping, fertilization, hatching, growth stages, feeding, harvesting, stocking and more. Read more….
- Gain a better understanding of the general selection and management for farming saltwater species of plants and animals. This course deals with the farming of saltwater species of fish, shellfish, seaweed and other marine products. Learn to plan and manage the farming of a wide variety of marine life. Self-paced home study, expert tutors, start anytime, 100 hours of learning to give you a sound foundation in marine aquaculture. Read more….
- Aquaponics is the integration of hydroponics with aquaculture technologies. Hydroponics is the horticultural process of growing plants in mediums other than soil. Aquaculture is the culture of aquatic organisms (such as fish and crustaceans) for commercial purposes under controlled or partly controlled conditions. Read more….
Agronomy offers many job opportunities. Demand for agronomists is strong; whether as a farmer, farm employer or providing technical support or marketing services in the agriculture sector. Learn the principles and practices that underpin commercial broadacre crop production (agronomy) and develop an ability to interpret and apply information practically, on a farm. Complement your farming studies or experience and seek employment in the highly sought after field of agronomy! Read more…
- By completing this course, you will acquire a sound understanding of Agronomy as it relates to cereals, pulses and pseudo-grains. As well as learning about different grains, you will gain skills regarding which species and cultivators you should choose. Making the right choices will enable you to employ efficient techniques to get the best harvest. Read more….
- Profitable and successful farming today, depends on agronomists bringing a number of key stages of the plant/harvest cycle together. An Agronomist, therefore, needs to have skills in soil management, plus knowledge of the best time to plant specific crops and their nutritional requirements. He or she will also need to know how to manage pest and weed problems, when to harvest and how to ensure longevity post-harvest so that as much produce gets to market as possible. Read more….
- Berry fruits are popular the world over. Some berries are grown widely, in different climates and countries (eg. strawberries), whilst others might be popular in some regions but not others. This course provides a sound broad-based training for commercial growers and/or staff of berry farms. It is equally relevant to the enthusiast hobby grower who wants to get more serious about growing berry fruits. Read more….
- Successfully farm organic vegetables! The demand for organically grown vegetables is currently a major growth area in commercial horticulture. This course is a good starting point in learning all aspects of organic vegetable production. Read more….
- This course is ideal for anyone serious about fruit growing; from the small hobby farmer to orchard worker, or enthusiastic amateur who aspires to win first prize for their fruit at the local garden show. Read more….
- Expand your understanding of tropical and subtropical fruit growing. Similar to the temperate fruit course, but adapted to cover tropical and sub-tropical conditions. The course includes sections on Avocados, Pineapples, Macadamias, Paw Paws and Cashews. Read more….
- Develop a solid grounding in herb growing and the herb industry. Half of the course deals with general herb culture, including identification, soils, mulching, feeding, watering, propagation, pest & disease control, harvest, storage, processing, companion planting, nursery management and herb farming. The remainder of the course involves detailed studies of major groups of herbs such as: mints, thymes, lavenders, scented geraniums, garlic, roses, artemisias and parsley. Read more….
- An online course that covers the design, installation, maintenance, operation and evaluation of simple irrigation systems. This online course focuses on irrigation systems for row crops (eg. vegetables & cut flowers) and orchards. If your interest is in growing row crops, then this course will help you understand the methods needed for irrigating them. Read more….
- Learn How to identify and Grow a Wide Range of Edible Nuts. You’ll learn from professional university trained horticulturists with decades of industry experience and build networks within industry and discover opportunities for commercial production or self sufficiency. Read more….
- Learn to grow nuts in tropical and sub-tropical areas. The content of this course is very similar to the “Growing Nuts” course, except this deals exclusively with nuts grown in the tropics and sub-tropics. Read more….
- Treat your soil and grow great plants! Good soil conditions are critical to the healthy growth of most plants. Develop an understanding of physical & chemical properties of soils, carry out simple tests to determine soil characteristics, learn ways of treating soil to grow plants. Specifically designed for ornamental gardens, landscaping, container growing, and turf situations. Read more…
- Learn the techniques and become a successful Vitculturalist. This course will help you develop an ability to select and cultivate appropriate varieties of grapes in different situations, and provide the knowledge to make informed decisions about the management of a vineyard. There are ten lessons covering the history of viticulture, the current state of the industry, wine and table grapes, dried grapes, cultural practices (trellising, soils, planting, pruning, irrigation, pests & diseases); vineyard design, improving quality, harvest & post harvest procedures, wine-making, plus marketing. Read more….
- This course is the next step for those who want to start making a living from Hydroponics. It takes you into production systems and commercial growing, which is perfect for the person who wants to start earning income from this method of horticulture, which also applies to alternative agriculture. Read more….
- Even more in-depth than Hydroponics I, Hydroponics II takes a closer look at a few plant species in particular. Hydroponic grower trials attempt to simulate conditions under which a crop might be grown commercially but on a much smaller, and less costly scale. Read more….
- Learn to manage hydroponic systems and equipment. This course has been developed to complement Hydroponics I and II; and is intended for people who already have some experience and understanding of hydroponics. Read more….
Step 3 – Finally choose 3 modules from the following to complement your step 2 choices and own individual needs:
- This course develops your ability to analyse and manage marketing problems in an agricultural enterprise. Topics covered include: market research, management of your marketing, promotions, handling produce, packaging, distribution, customer relations and more. Read more….
- Treating and preventing ill health in animals is important for all people who work with them. Learn how diseases are classified, to recognise signs and symptoms of common diseases and how to treat these diseases and wounds. This Online course will also introduce methods used to prevent ill health developing. Ideally, students will have completed Animal Husbandry I before beginning this course. Read more….
- What balance of nutrients do your animals need? How can you provide this? This Online – Distance Learning course will teach you about the components needed in animal diets and the composition of a range of feeds (including pasture, fodder crops, grasses, cereals, seed and other edible plants). You will learn to evaluate feeding, select appropriate feeds (for nutritional content and digestibility), and apply this to farming situations. feeding and select appropriate feeds – for digestibility and nutritional content – applicable to real-life farming situations. Read more….
- Learn about the biological and chemical basis of animal life”. Biochemistry – Animals” is the knowledge basis for all human and animals health studies. Learn with highly qualified and experienced tutors the basis of life. This course is similar to “Biochemistry – Plants”; except for the fact that it deals with animals.Read more….
- Learn about the composition and function of plants. Biochemistry is the chemistry of living beings. This course concentrates on the biochemistry of plants. Learn Plant Biochemistry with outstanding experienced tutors. Our Problem-Based Approach for learning makes the learning experience practical and applied, helping you to understand, absorb and retain your new knowledge. Read more….
- Keep your tools and machinery in perfect working order always! This course gives you the knowledge and develops your ability to independently manage the selection, operation and maintenance of tools and machinery used in professional gardening, agriculture and horticulture. Read more….
Business Operations gives you the absolute essential knowledge on how businesses operate and understand how their services are interrelated to their other competitors and the overall economic environment. Expand both your learning and confidence while leading the operations of the business you work in!
- An Outstanding and Extensive Foundation Course. Globally focused and regularly revised by experts from the UK and Australia. Learn to grow plants naturally. Develop a solid understanding of the principles and procedures underlying the cultivation of plants by natural methods. Work with the environment and without the use of artificial fertilizers or sprays. Read more….
- Study Research online and learn to plan and conduct research for any industry or discipline. Discover ways that research skills can improve performance and sustainability of any business. 100-hour self-paced course, expert tutors. Read more….
- Learn to propagate plants by tissue culture. Tissue culture involves growing plants from very small sections (sometimes microscopic) in a laboratory. It is a propagation method which is being increasingly used. Tissue culture is not appropriate for many plants, but for others such as orchids, some indoor plants and in particular, many new plant varieties, it is a very popular propagation method. Read more….
- Develop and learn how to design, implement and assess water management plans and procedures. Understand how water resources, the use and application of water conservation measures in different contexts. Improve your capacity to design, implement and assess water management plans and procedures. This home study course will help you understand why water is the most important resource in order to sustain life. All living organisms need water to survive. This course will teach you how to conserve this precious resource in various situations from the home environment to industry. Lesson cover water conservation at home, in the workplace, water management, conservation in primary production I & II, health, recycling and more. Read more….
12 Workshop II
- Using problem-based learning (PBL) strategies you will complete three projects that address the following topics, relevant to your workplaces in your industry:
- Identifying and analysing scientific or technical problems
- Using and maintaining scientific or technical equipment
- Collecting and storing samples, data or other evidence
- Undertaking and evaluating scientific or technical procedures
- Describing workplace operations and equipment in scientific laboratories or technical facilities. Read more….
Note that each module in this Higher Advanced Diploma is a certificate in its own right, and may be studied separately.
Please see lesson titles for your learning goals.
Practical (Set Tasks)
Assessment is based on a combination of completing all assignments and sitting for a final short one and a half hour exam, in your own location.
If you don’t cope well with exams then you may elect to undertake a project instead. This is a popular option.
In addition, most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson placed before the assignment. This is an opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge and skills and practical experience. This ADL feature is an added bonus not found at most online schools. Set Tasks are not required for assessment.
Some courses also have optional Self-Tests which are available on our online learning platform. These are not available by correspondence or by USB, and do not form part of your overall grade.
How our courses work
- Choose Your Learning Method
You choose how you would like to receive your course material, i.e., Online, USB or Correspondence. The choice is yours. You may also work on online or offline.
- Tutor Allocation
Every student is assigned their own dedicated tutor who is an expert in their subject area. They provide as much or as little individual contact as you require. You can contact your tutor whenever you need – your hours are not limited.
- Feedback and Assignments
Tutor Feedback is an essential component in helping you understand the subject matter. Tutor feedback is given in the form of notes written on the assignment. We encourage you to contact your Tutor where help with clarification and understanding of course material may be required.
Your assignments are located at the end of each lesson. You submit them for marking whenever you are ready. There is no time limit.
- Set Tasks and Self-Tests
Most modules have a Set Task at the end of each lesson before for the assignment. This is where you get the opportunity to undertake practical work to help you acquire knowledge, skills and practical experience. Many modules also have short Self-Tests.
Once all assignments have been completed you may then elect to sit for a one and half hour exam in your own location. If you prefer not to take the exam you do have the option to undertake a project instead.
Once the exam or project part of the course is completed, your Certificate is then processed. Please allow approximately 4 weeks for this.
- Design Your Own Qualification
ADL offers students the flexibility to self-design their own qualification – bundling together a combination of 100-hour modules into a qualification higher than a certificate.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Due to our years of experience and wide range of online courses, here are a list of our FAQs and Answers asked by Students.
Q. Do I need to buy text books?
A. No, you are not required to purchase expensive text books for any of our courses, since each module has been written by highly qualified tutors and writers, and our courses are updated on a regular basis, adding new information, methods and knowledge. You are supplied with all “essential” references. Extra books are always useful though, especially for special projects. Tutors will advise you what to buy if you decide you would like to have extra reading material, but it is not essential. Check out our eBookstore if you’re looking for a starting point.
Q. What sets the Academy apart from other institutions?
A. A unique feature of our courses is that we combine knowledge of the subject matter with practical tasks (set tasks, found at the end of each lesson). So you get to do practical components in each lesson. The benefits of this approach are immense: – your skills and knowledge are developed to a much higher level not normally found at other distance learning institutions.
Q. How do the practical exercises (set tasks) work?
A. The practical component of each lesson can be in the form of : Field Research, Networking and Analysis, Conducting Surveys, Growing, Collecting, Photographing and Processes.
Q. Can I pay by instalments?
A. Yes, you can view all available payment options here.
Q. Are there any hidden costs?
A. There are no hidden extras – the tuition fee covers all course material, unlimited tutor support, assignment marking/feedback and any text books where specified and exams. The only extras are for the public examinations fees for the ICB Bookkeeping course and the RHS (Royal Horticulture Society) exams.
Q. Are your courses up-to date?
A. Our courses are continually updated. The course content is rapidly updated and improved without the red tape and bureaucracy experienced at other educational institutions.
Q. Do you have a Cancellation policy?
A. We have a cancellation policy that is fair and equitable. For further details please click here.
Q. What Recognition do you have?
A. The Academy for Distance Learning has various forms of recognition:
These include TQUK (Training Qualifications UK) – an Ofqual Awarding Organisation – ADL is an approved TQUK Centre.
IARC – International Approval Registration Centre, approved member. Accredited Training Provider for ICB (Institute of Certified Bookkeepers) and Approved Distance Learning Provider for the RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) and many more. Our graduates come from many parts of the world and have used our qualifications for successful employment and progression onto higher education. To view our full list of recognition and memberships please click here,
Q. Will I have any opportunity to engage with other students?
A. We have a Student Community group based on facebook! If you don’t have a facebook account already, you could make one just for talking with fellow students on the group.
Q. Why should I enrol with the Academy for Distance Learning?
A. Here at the Academy our students are our priority – we treat every student as a unique individual. This philosophy allows us to nurture those who are “slow and steady” learners rather than letting them fall through the cracks, while catering for those who are in a hurry to complete.
Q. Can I study from anywhere in the world?
A. Our courses are available to anyone, anywhere in the world from the comfort of your own home. The course content is relevant to any country, culture or economy.
Q. Completing the course- how long will it take?
A. Completion of modules varies from student to student. Many factors come into play such as work commitments and family life- there are always distractions. Some students work quicker than others. For a 100 hour module many students will take up to 3- 6 months, others take less time and some are even longer. It’s all up to you. There is no pressure to complete or deadline to finish. Naturally, longer courses will take more time.
Q. What learning formats are there?
A. Your enrollment comes with the Online Classroom study option by default. For a small additional cost you also have the options of USB or Correspondence.
USB: Your course is sent to you on a USB stick, so that you can carry it in your pocket. Ideal for those with unreliable internet connections. This option is an additional £5/module
Correspondence: You download the course content and then print your own copy to your requirements. You can then bind the lessons to suit your needs.
Q. Assessment – how does it work?
A. For each 100 hour module you are assessed by assignments (at the end of each lesson) and a final one and a half hour exam (or you may elect to complete a project instead of sitting the exam) – the choice is yours – you sit for the exam in your own location, or you can visit us in Canterbury, England to sit the exam if want to. Exam fees are included in the tuition fee you paid. You can read more about the examination process here. At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment. You submit it to the academy who then submits it to the tutor for marking, comments and feedback. Our policy is to have a grade for you within 5 to 7 days.
Q. How many assignments do I need to complete for each module?
A. At the end of each lesson, there is an assignment – so if a course has say, 10 lessons there would be 10 assignments. The number of lessons per module varies from module to module. See the course content from our website for further details.
Q. When do I have to hand in my first assignment?
A. There is no deadline for handing in the first assignment. Submit when you are ready. There are some students who hand in assignments within the first couple of weeks of enrolment – while there are others who submit their work 6 months later. It’s all at your own convenience to suit you. Everyone has different work and home commitments and we cater to these needs.
Q. I am having difficulty attending workshops/industry meetings, what can be done?
A. If your course requires attendance at workshops, conferences, or industry meetings; alternative arrangements can be made in your country; however, there may be an additional expense. We can appoint an appropriately qualified person anywhere to work through curriculum documentation supplied by us, to satisfy the requirements set down in a course.
Q. What qualification will I receive?
A. For individual modules, you would receive a Certificate (providing you complete all assignments and the exam). If you just want to complete the assignments only, then a Letter of Achievement would be awarded. For more details on qualifications awarded please click here.
Q. Is there a next level to progress to?
A. Yes – you can progress from one module to a combination of many modules and to higher qualifications i.e. Advanced Certificates, Diplomas and Higher Advanced Diplomas. Read more about course levels here.
Q. Can I customize my diploma/higher qualification?
A. Not all educational institution’s certificates /diplomas meet everyone’s needs. The opportunity to design your own diploma at the Academy (subject to our approval) is an added bonus, not found at other colleges. It’s a very popular option and widely used by many students. You quite simply choose the appropriate number of related modules needed to complete the qualification and submit them to us for approval as a custom diploma.
Q. What do I get when I complete the course? Will I receive a transcript?
A. At the completion of a 100-hour Certificate course and providing all assignments and exam have been completed, you will receive a Certificate and Transcript. The Transcript will list your GPA. Each 100-hour module is worth 3 credit hours.
Q. Do I have to sit for an exam?
A. Exams are optional but need to be undertaken in order to receive the Certificate or higher qualification. Exams are one and a half hours long. You appoint an adjudicator (subject to our approval) to supervise the exam. You sit for the exam in your own location. Its that simple.
Q. I don’t cope well with exams – what can I do?
A. If you feel you don’t cope well with exams you may elect to undertake a Project (set by the tutor) instead of sitting the exam. Many students prefer this option as they find researching the material for the project sharpens their research skills.
Q. If I don’t sit for the Exam do I still get a qualification?
A. If you don’t sit for the exam but complete the project alternative, you will still receive your endorsed qualification. If you don’t sit for an exam or complete a final project, providing you have completed all the assignments you will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement.
Q. Do I have to sit for the exam at the Academy?
A. No – whilst you are more than welcome to come to our location in Canterbury, U.K. and sit the exam in our classroom; the more popular option is to sit for the exam in your own location. You appoint an adjudicator to supervise the exam. Click here for more information on that process.
Q. Our tutors – who are they?
A. We only employ tutors who have are currently active in their industry with at least 5 years of real-world experience. Not only are they highly qualified but also experienced, knowledgeable, and professional- experts in their chosen fields from all parts of the world.
Q. Can I contact my tutor at any time?
A. Yes- you have unlimited access to tutors. We strongly encourage students to develop a dialogue with their Tutor. This is why we encourage students to submit their first assignment fairly quickly at the beginning of the course.
Every Academy student is assigned a tutor who supports you throughout your course and beyond. Your tutor is there to guide and facilitate your learning and provides as much or as little individual contact as you would like. When you submit your coursework the tutor will give you feedback that helps you develop your ideas and provides motivation. For those who do like to have interaction with other students, the ADL discussion forum connects you to students from all over the world.
Q. How do I contact my tutor?
A. You have direct contact with your tutor by email through the Online Classroom. Alternatively, you can write, fax, email, or phone the academy. Leave a message if your tutor isn’t available and they will phone, write or fax back; whatever suits you.
Q. If I don’t understand a question or a lesson may I contact the tutor?
A. You may contact a tutor as often as you like. There is no additional charge or restriction on this service. Contact can be made via the Student Zone, email, or by phone.
Q. Practical work – How is this done?
A. To find out more about this part of the course please visit the section on How Our Courses Work here.
What your tuition fees include
There are no hidden extras
FAQ - RHS Theory Qualifications
If you require further details about any of the RHS industry recognised qualifications please, call one of our friendly RHS Course Advisors on +44 (0)1227 789 649 or email: [email protected]
Q: When can I Enrol/Start My RHS Course With ADL?
A: Anytime, Anywhere. There are no enrolment deadlines.
Q: I live Overseas. Can I Study From Overseas?
A: You can study any of the RHS theory qualifications overseas. All courses are offered in English. You will need to email RHS Qualifications direct to arrange sitting for your examination overseas.
Q: Is There a Time Limit for Completing an RHS Qualification?
A: At present there are no time limits. However, RHS is contemplating in the future, the introduction of course time-lines.
Q: Are There Any Entry Requirements (Pre-Requisites)?
A: The RHS Theory courses do not require prerequisites, previous experience or any knowledge of horticulture. You just need passion for all things horticulture.
Q: What Course Should I Start With First? I Am New To RHS Qualifications.
A: We highly recommend that you start with Level 2 – Principles of Garden Planning, Establishment and Maintenance.
Q: What Does ADL Course Material Include?
A: Includes Power Point Presentations, Videos and written course lessons.
Q: When Do Exams Take Place?
A: Exams are held on fixed dates in February and June of each year. You should register as a candidate at least 3 months before these dates, so please do not leave exam registration to the last minute
Q: Where Do I Take My Exams?
A: UK: You take the exams at the RHS Wisley Centre, located between Cobham and Ripley in Surrey or at other authorised RHS centres around the UK.
Overseas: please email RHS qualifications direct for centre information.
Q: Exam Pass Marks?
A: Module – pass 50%. Commendation 70%.
Qualification: 50% pass for all modules.
Commendation awarded for all modules.
Each question carries a value of 10 marks.
Q: I’m Not Happy With My Exam Results?
A: You have the opportunity to re-sit your exam at the next opportunity.
There are no restrictions on the number of re-sits you can take. The highest mark you achieve will remain.,